Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:57:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Audio Adventures

Started by daf, July 29, 2018, 12:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious here, but what's the deal with The Macra Terror - it's not sold out already has it?

daf

Quote from: Malcy on August 11, 2020, 06:07:47 PM
https://www.doctorwho.tv/time-lord-victorious/

Timeline of all the releases.

Looks lovely that!

That said, I can't see myself picking any of it up - as I'm bound to miss some crucial bit of continuity in a comic or magazine along the way (never mind the 'Live Experience' whatever that entails).

It was confusing enough trying to follow plot threads when they alternated Bernice Summerfield stories just between CDs and books!

mjwilson

Might just wait until someone's worked out which the good stories are.

purlieu

Fucking hell, one of the parts is an Escape Room. Perfect for a pandemic!

Bad Ambassador

Simplified list of TLV stuff:

September:
A Dalek Awakens            Live Experience
Defender of the Daleks #1              Comic
Annual 2021                    Book
Mysterious Beauty #1                 DWM comic strip
October:
The Knight, the Fool and the Dead   Novel
Short Trips: Master Thief              Big Finish audio
Short Trips: Lesser Evils              Big Finish audio
Defender of the Daleks #2              Comic
He Kills Me, He Kills Me Not              Big Finish audio
Mysterious Beauty #2                 DWM comic strip
Dalek Emperor & Dalek Drone      Toy and short story
November:
Dalek Commander & Dalek Scientist   Toy and short story
The Enemy of My Enemy         Big Finish audio
Mysterious Beauty #3                 DWM comic strip
Defender of the Daleks         Graphic novel
Dalek Executioner & Dalek Strategist   Toy and short story
Echoes of Extinction #1         Big Finish audio
December:
The Minds of Magnox                 Big Finish audio
Echoes of Extinction #2         Big Finish audio
Mutually Assured Destruction      Big Finish audio
All Flesh is Grass                 Novel
2021:
Time Lord Victorious & Brian the Ood   Toy and short story
Time Fracture                    Live Experience

Live Experiences:
A Dalek Awakens            September
Time Fracture                    2021
Comics:
Defender of the Daleks #1              September
Defender of the Daleks #2              October
Defender of the Daleks (collected)   November
Books:
Annual 2021                    September
The Knight, the Fool and the Dead   October
All Flesh is Grass                 December
DWM comic strips:
Mysterious Beauty #1                 September
Mysterious Beauty #2                 October
Mysterious Beauty #3                 November
Big Finish audio:
Short Trips: Master Thief              October
Short Trips: Lesser Evils              October
He Kills Me, He Kills Me Not              October
The Enemy of My Enemy         November
Echoes of Extinction #1         November
The Minds of Magnox                 December
Echoes of Extinction #2         December
Mutually Assured Destruction      December
Toy and short story sets:
Dalek Emperor & Dalek Drone      October
Dalek Commander & Dalek Scientist   November
Dalek Executioner & Dalek Strategist   November
Time Lord Victorious & Brian the Ood   2021

Chedney Honks

Quote from: daf on August 11, 2020, 07:17:30 PM
Apologies if I'm missing something obvious here, but what's the deal with The Macra Terror - it's not sold out already has it?

I remember listening to the Macra Terror on cassette at the height of my DW fandom (kind of one mad spike when I was madly in the love with a girl who went on two dates with me then left for the summer to stay with family at the other end of the country and I died every night to be with her again, crying myself to sleep and writing her name a million times in various notebooks and exercise books and drawing her and stuff. She now helps to run a strippers union I've just seen...wow, that's unexpected...fair play...I forgot what wanted to say about Macra Terror

Oofffffff

daf

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 13, 2020, 09:39:09 PM
I remember listening to the Macra Terror on cassette at the height of my DW fandom

Relive the magic with Colin Baker  :

Quote from: Macra Terror DVD / bluray - disc 2 - special featuresIn 1992, the BBC Audio Collection released 'The Macra Terror' on audio cassette, in a special release narrated by Colin Baker. It was the first time that the story had been made commercially available by the BBC and that audio-only release is included here in full.

Chedney Honks

Thanks! I actually will do, that would be some Proustian rush. Cheers.

Malcy

Tennant seems to be doing more and more these days. Wish BF would calm the fuck down with the amount of releases though. It's beyond too much at this stage.

There's a free War Doctor download this week. Don't know if you need a code or not.

JamesTC

I think Tennant has always wanted to do more than he was doing but now actually has the time to do it whilst in lockdown.

I'm in the same camp as thinking it is way too much. I'm being ultra selective in what I get now. For a start if anything has Daleks in it, it is an instant ignore as I'm absolutely sick of the buggers on audio.

purlieu

The whole vinyl thing really seems to be taking the piss as well. I get it for music, but listening to Big Finish audios on LP... totally beyond me, especially at those prices.

Tennant seems to be doing three runs at the minute: Out of Time, Tenth Doctor and River Song, and now this. He's obviously a big fan and thus keen to play out the role more, and it's nice to have some New Series stuff actually featuring the original actor. It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together with the monthly range next year when it's reorganised to be single Doctor boxes. I wonder if they have any real growth in sales, or if it's just the same few thousand people buying every release. Since I downloaded the whole lot (somewhere near the start of lockdown), there have been more than 30 new releases, and more than 40 others announced. It's fairly ludicrous.

I haven't actually watched, listened to or read any Who in months. I'm going to start on the Big Finishes once I'm through with the various series I'm watching at the moment, which includes the entire Arrowverse (including Arthur Darvill as a renegade Time Master in Legends of Tomorrow, which is close enough to count as Who for me).

Malcy

John Hurt been recast for yet another Time War story, this one set immediately after Night Of The Doctor. Clip below. Not sure who's playing him but not a bad impression.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1316353652840378368?

Leo2112

Sounds like old man John Hurt though.  He was supposed to be young in his regeneration wasn't he

Quote from: Leo2112 on October 14, 2020, 02:57:09 PM
Sounds like old man John Hurt though.  He was supposed to be young in his regeneration wasn't he

Old Man John Hurt delivered the "Doctor no more" line in NotD, so it's safe to presume the War Doctor has always sounded like Old Man John Hurt.

Leo2112

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 14, 2020, 03:17:49 PM
Old Man John Hurt delivered the "Doctor no more" line in NotD, so it's safe to presume the War Doctor has always sounded like Old Man John Hurt.

Fair enough

crankshaft

I couldn't listen to more than a few seconds of that. He may have the growly tone down, but none of Hurt's charisma. In any case, this is the War Doctor at the beginning of his life - why not have a younger sounding actor?

I find Big Finish these days is just too much. The quality control was teetering for a while, but it finally went out the window when they got the new series license. A shame.

purlieu

Great news everyone, there's a second series of Lady Christina coming next July!

Christ.

Malcy

Quote from: purlieu on October 17, 2020, 11:20:08 AM
Great news everyone, there's a second series of Lady Christina coming next July!

Christ.

Saw that yesterday and forgot she had even had a series. I think it was a Tennant impersonator doing his voice so i never bothered with it. I've said it before but i'd love to know sales figures for BF stuff.

Bad Ambassador

I remember there being a saying in 90s fandom - "any old shit with the diamond logo". This is now Big Finish's mission statement.

Malcy

Eric Roberts as the Master in live-action for the first time since 96.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1324351260204494848

Jo & Nyssa going up against Jacobi's War Master soon as well.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1323678829781667841

daf

Malcy

The latest 10th Doctor boxset has been announced. Ace, Nyssa, Leela, K9 & Axos all appearing!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-tenth-doctor-is-visiting-some-old-friends

mjwilson

Quote from: Malcy on December 08, 2020, 04:10:20 PM
The latest 10th Doctor boxset has been announced. Ace, Nyssa, Leela, K9 & Axos all appearing!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-tenth-doctor-is-visiting-some-old-friends

What could be more Big Finish?

purlieu

crankshaft

I actually quite like the idea of the principled and slightly prim Nyssa having to deal with the sugared-up, hyperactive tenth Doctor.

Norton Canes

I wonder if she's still synthesizing enzymes on Terminus

They're all synthesizing enzymes on Terminus by the time Ten's finished with them.

crankshaft

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 09, 2020, 09:41:59 AM
I wonder if she's still synthesizing enzymes on Terminus

Nyssa's history in the audios post-Terminus is...complicated.  https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Nyssa