Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:50:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Audio Adventures

Started by daf, July 29, 2018, 12:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

New TARDIS console room design revealed:

pigamus

purlieu

I'd love to see a console room designed as a living room. That's a TARDIS I would happily spend time in, roaming space and time with the central heating on.

daf

crankshaft

daf

Malcy

Eccleston was on morning telly today and said he'd go back to Who on TV 'when hell freezes over' and says that Nick Briggs is an 'excellent writer'!

Malcy

50th Torchwood story announced. Jack & Tennant's Doctor.

QuoteOn a dark and stormy night in Cardiff, the city is in danger, and the Doctor's put himself in charge of Torchwood in order to save it. 
In a sealed recording studio, the voices of the dead have been playing for 17 years. Was it the project of a madman, or is this the site of something terrible? 
Torchwood has been hunting for the Doctor since 1879. And now they've found him. They may regret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Go6ytqc_E

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on January 01, 2021, 10:32:50 PM
50th Torchwood story announced. Jack & Tennant's Doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Go6ytqc_E

He really is just the current Doctor now.

purlieu

Two new exclusive audiobooks coming soon:
The Nightmare Realm

And, more intriguingly, Bessie Come Home, "A brand new story featuring the Doctor's trusty car, Bessie," written by Paul Magrs, read by Stephanie Cole.

Malcy

That second one looks great! Had to double check that it was read by the Stephanie Cole i thought it was. Great stuff. Is that Kroll on the cover of the Capaldi one?

I've been listening to The Further Adventures Of Lucie Miller. Not too sure when they are set though as i thought her arc was done and don't remember the first story explaining her re-joining or anything. To be honest I rarely remember anything about BF audio's. Taking a break from the Diary Of River song as I was getting bored of it. Think I'm going to do that multi-Master one next but the trailer made it sound a bit too much. Still it seems that Jo Grant is up against Simm's Master which I'm really looking forward to.

daf

Quote from: Malcy on January 13, 2021, 02:31:34 PM
I've been listening to The Further Adventures Of Lucie Miller. Not too sure when they are set though as i thought her arc was done and don't remember the first story explaining her re-joining or anything.

The Further adventures are set between the end of series 1 (Human Resources) and the start of series 2 (Dead London) - and that's also where any future adventures are likely to go.

Here's a handy guide to her chronology > > > Lucie Miller Timeline

It's rather amusing that Big Finish are now having to find the gaps in their own adventures to slot stories in - like they did with the TV series!

Malcy

Quote from: daf on January 13, 2021, 03:24:54 PM
The Further adventures are set between the end of series 1 (Human Resources) and the start of series 2 (Dead London) - and that's also where any future adventures are likely to go.

Here's a handy guide to her chronology > > > Lucie Miller Timeline

It's rather amusing that Big Finish are now having to find the gaps in their own adventures to slot stories in - like they did with the TV series!

Great, thanks for that Daf. I bet they'll eventually set stories in previous stories!

"While I was away doing something plot related something happened to me and that's a whole other story but I can't tell you about it Doctor"!

crankshaft

Time In Office is set between scenes in episode 4 of Frontios, which is quite impressive.

daf

Quote from: Malcy on January 13, 2021, 06:11:20 PM
I bet they'll eventually set stories in previous stories!

Haha, yes - it's only a matter of time!

Malcy

Quote from: crankshaft on January 13, 2021, 06:15:56 PM
Time In Office is set between scenes in episode 4 of Frontios, which is quite impressive.

Vaguely remember Frontios, but I think it was a bit boring so the characters would have been glad to escape it for a while!

purlieu

Final series of Jago & Litefoot is coming. Originally written as full-cast dramas, these will now be released as audiobooks after Trevor Baxter's death prevented them from being fully realised.

Malcy

Quote from: purlieu on January 18, 2021, 07:30:14 PM
Final series of Jago & Litefoot is coming. Originally written as full-cast dramas, these will now be released as audiobooks after Trevor Baxter's death prevented them from being fully realised.

I saw this earlier and was shocked it was 14! I knew they had been continuing after Baxter's death but didn't realise there was so many. This must be the longest BF spin-off surely.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Malcy on January 18, 2021, 08:45:52 PM
I saw this earlier and was shocked it was 14! I knew they had been continuing after Baxter's death but didn't realise there was so many. This must be the longest BF spin-off surely.

All of those include Baxter. This will be the first after his death (although the final one they did only has him n it in a limited way). hence the different format.

daf

No, they only did one story after Trevor Baxter died - 'Jago and Litefoot Forever' - which consisted of a 'Litefoot is missing' story. That was seen as a sort of 14th box set at the time - as they also included 'The Jago & Litefoot Revival' short trips narrated by Benjamin & Baxter, and a tribute documentary on the third disc.

As well as the box sets, they appeared in 8 other stories (plus a 2-CD interview *) :
QuoteThe Mahogany Murderers from Companion Chronicles: It was released as a standalone story, but served as a backdoor pilot for the series.
- - - - - - - - -
Voyage to Venus and Voyage to the New World: These stories (with the 6th Doctor) take place between series 4 and 5 of Jago & Litefoot.
- - - - - - - - -
The Worlds of Doctor Who: This special release was a crossover of Big Finish's Doctor Who spin-off ranges. Jago and Litefoot were featured in Mind Games.
- - - - - - - - -
The Justice of Jalxar from The Fourth Doctor Adventures: with the Fourth Doctor and Romana I, featuring Jago and Litefoot.
- - - - - - - - -
The Beast of Kravenos from The Fourth Doctor Adventures: with the Fourth Doctor and Romana II, featuring Jago and Litefoot.
- - - - - - - - -
Stage Fright, one of the stories in The Sixth Doctor: The Last Adventure: featuring Jago and Litefoot meeting the Sixth Doctor and Flip Jackson.
- - - - - - - - -
Jago & Litefoot & Strax : The Haunting - a 2-disc story released in 2015 between series 10 and 11 (though it's a standalone - unlike the 'voyages' which are really part 5 and 6 of the 4th series - and run directly into the start of series 5)
- - - - - - - - -
* Benjamin & Baxter: An audio documentary featuring interviews with Christopher Benjamin and Trevor Baxter.

Malcy

Wow thanks Daf. I thought they had been running the range without Baxter for quite a while. I think the one with Strax and The Mahogony Murders are all I've heard. I've gave up trying to keep up with BF. I listen to what I can and end up still missing loads.

In other news we need to set up a Cookdandbombd awards. Most detailed and most effort into posts is yours with no competition. You go the extra mile and those tweetalong summaries that you have done have been brilliant. I tried following the first few with the hashtag and found it near impossible. Wealth of knowledge and dedication. Much appreciated.

daf

Aw, thanks mate!

You can't go wrong with any of the Jago & Litefoot releases, I think the first five series are on spotify (plus the Benjamin & Baxter inteview discs), and most can be listened to in any old order - though series 5 is certainly a curve-ball!

They recently had a very good sale where they had the first 6 boxes on sale as a bundle for £50 - so I'll keep an eye out for you, if something like that pops up again.

Malcy

I realised on a recent HD look through that i have about 100GB of BF stuff so I could very well have a lot of it.

The Veiled Leopard is currently free I think. It's a story of ex companions. Saw it on the BF FB page and one of the comments was "Is that Tinhead" which made me laugh. I might still have the CD of it that came free with DWM years ago.

purlieu

That's quite a significant amount you have there - I've got every BF Who-related audio to the end of 2019 on an external HD and it comes to 225GB.

daf

Quote from: Malcy on January 18, 2021, 11:21:51 PM
The Veiled Leopard is currently free I think. It's a story of ex companions. Saw it on the BF FB page and one of the comments was "Is that Tinhead" which made me laugh. I might still have the CD of it that came free with DWM years ago.

Oh yes, I love that one - it's a lot of fun with two separate TARDiS teams both (unknowingly)  trying to outfox the others! 

I snapped up quite a few of those DWM freebies from ebay a couple of years ago in my collecting mania - The Ratings War with 6th Doctor featuring comic book character 'Beep The Meep', and Living Legend with the 8th and Charley are probably my favourites.

[You can also get both of those free from Big Finish - I've put the links in the titles]

jamiefairlie

Quote from: daf on January 18, 2021, 10:02:32 PM
Aw, thanks mate!

You can't go wrong with any of the Jago & Litefoot releases, I think the first five series are on spotify (plus the Benjamin & Baxter inteview discs), and most can be listened to in any old order - though series 5 is certainly a curve-ball!

They recently had a very good sale where they had the first 6 boxes on sale as a bundle for £50 - so I'll keep an eye out for you, if something like that pops up again.

Agreed, I think that J&L is the best Big Finish range by far. It works so well on audio.

Malcy

Quote from: purlieu on January 18, 2021, 11:36:47 PM
That's quite a significant amount you have there - I've got every BF Who-related audio to the end of 2019 on an external HD and it comes to 225GB.

I saw a torrent recently and it was a similar size but never realised that what I have is such a huge chunk of that. If it's any consolation to BF I'll never get round to it all. It's mostly the spin off stuff like River, UNIT etc that I listen to but I listened to a few of the Main Range releases but the one that always stick in my mind was Master. Really enjoyed that one.

daf

Quote from: Malcy on January 19, 2021, 12:23:37 AM
the one that always stick in my mind was Master. Really enjoyed that one.

Fantastic one that - the 7th Doctor is usually my least favourite of the classic Doctors - even on Big Finish - but he really pulls his tripe out in that one!

Highly recomended!

Malcy