Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:30:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Audio Adventures

Started by daf, July 29, 2018, 12:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Quote from: Malcy on January 19, 2021, 12:04:10 PM
RTD is having a script he wrote in the 80's made into a BF audio.
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a35246616/doctor-who-russell-t-davies-new-audio-script/

I wonder if it's the one he mentioned in the recent Tweet-along :

Quote from:  The Runaway Bride Twitter-watch thingumajigRUSSELL T DAVIES : HERE IT IS. In preparation for today's tweetalong, I went through some old papers to find the script and found... the VERY FIRST DOCTOR WHO SCRIPT I ever wrote!! On a manual typewriter! In 1985! 1986? Sixth Doctor and Mel!   |  This script has no title, but it's undoubtedly called MIND OF THE HODIAC. I'll post a few pages here, but it's 62 pages long. I think, in 1985, I imagined that was a 25 minute episode!! Hah. And there's a synopsis for Ep.2.

- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : MIND OF THE HODIAC. I think I sent this to the Doctor Who production office. I've always said in interviews that I sent in a rough version of The Long Game... but think I misremembered, I think it was this. Must have been. It's not bad, I like it!

- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : When the show closed down in 1989, I had a letter from Andrew Cartmel saying 'Thank you for your idea, I liked it and put it to one side for consideration but now we've closed down...' (Contrary to what he says in next month's DWM, fact fans) ‪  |  ‬OKAY, it's not the Doctor Who rarity you wanted. It's not a missing episode, it's a never-episode. But it's the first script by the man who went on to relaunch the show in 2005, that's not too bad!

- - - - - - - - - -
RUSSELL T DAVIES : I won't post the whole thing - this story could still work! But it's very much my Doctor Who, even in 1985, great big cosmic events all focusing down on an ordinary Earth family. Come and bid, Big Finish!

daf

Animated trailer for Return of the Cybermen

You've got to quint a bit with Sarah and Harry, but Tom sounds like he's just dropped in from 1975!

purlieu

Speaking of Cybermen, here's a new range: The Audio Novels.

QuoteThis six-hour epic tale tells the terrifying story of the Third Doctor and Sarah Jane Smith as they battle the cybernetic monstrosities on a futuristic off-world sea base. This enhanced audiobook also features specially composed music and sound effects.

Set for release in July 2021, Jon Culshaw narrates Scourge of the Cybermen, written by Simon Guerrier. This six-hour epic tale tells the terrifying story of the Third Doctor and Sarah Jane Smith as they battle the cybernetic monstrosities on a futuristic off-world sea base.

This enhanced audiobook also features specially composed music and sound effects, plus a guest appearance by Nicholas Briggs as the voice of the Cybermen.

Doctor Who – The Audio Novels: Scourge of the Cybermen is now available to pre-order as a digital download (for just £17.99)!

Producer David Richardson said: "I grew up reading the Doctor Who Target novelisations. They were, and remain to this day, very close to my heart. And it occurred to me – what if we were to do audiobooks of brand-new adventures that are authentic in every way to the era? The kind of stories that we could have had on TV. And here they are! Scourge of the Cybermen is the first, a dark, thrilling tale that absolutely drips with atmosphere and menace. And there are many more treats to come!"

"These stories are huge not only in their imagination, but also in their duration. Each will last at least six hours, with each script lasting 60,000 words. A huge undertaking – but one suited to the immense talents of our chosen narrators, with the brilliant and versatile Jon Culshaw headlining the first."

Jon Culshaw added: "There are so many stand-out moments in this script. It's a story which builds tremendous atmosphere; it's very ominous, very brooding and it really stirs the theatre of the mind. You do see the scenes playing out in your imagination. Some of them are as beautiful as they are tantalising and mysterious."

Big Finish listeners can save even more money when pre-ordering all six titles in the Doctor Who – The Audio Novels range together as a bundle for the early bird price of £85! This special pre-order offer is valid for ONE WEEK ONLY, before the bundle price raises to the regular RRP of £99 on 05 February 2021.

edit: some people over on The Doctor Who Site are complaining that there's no CD version, saying that if Big Finish move to digital-only they're going to stop buying them. I think this says more about the mindset of a lot of the Big Finish fanbase than anything else: the desire to collect rather than the desire for new stories.

daf

The 4th and 5th Doctors' Lockdown home studios

(These were taken a few months ago, but I don't think I posted them at the time)

Malcy

I saw Tom's recently but Davison's is brilliant.

JamesTC

Philip Hinchcliffe sale on CD and Download

Be fast if you want the Lost Stories or Philip Hinchcliffe Vol 1 on CD as they are not being reprinted once the current stock is gone.

This is the first time the Vol 2 and 3 have gone on sale on CD I think, so I snaffed them for £30. Might not seem like a great deal but it is an 8 parter and a 6 parter across 7 discs.

Malcy

Been listening to Stranded 2 the past couple of nights. Really enjoying it. PC Andy from Torchwood is great in it. Him and the 8th Doctor have gone to UNIT in the 70's with Jon Culshaw doing a pretty good Brigadier.

The Sirens Of time the first ever BF audio is a free download this week on the BF site.

daf

The Doomsday Contract animated trailer > > > here

QuoteIt could be the end of the world as we know it in The Doomsday Contract, the lost Fourth Doctor adventure brought to life on audio by Big Finish. 

Based on an initial 1979 story treatment developed by TV comedy producer John Lloyd for the television show's seventeenth season, The Doomsday Contract is an adaption by comedy writer Nev Fountain.

This full-cast audio drama features the original lead actors, with Tom Baker, Lalla Ward and John Leeson reprising their roles as the Doctor, Romana and K-9. It tells the story of how the Doctor must take the stand to save the Earth – once again...

purlieu

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Malcy on March 15, 2021, 08:37:25 PM
Been listening to Stranded 2 the past couple of nights. Really enjoying it. PC Andy from Torchwood is great in it. Him and the 8th Doctor have gone to UNIT in the 70's with Jon Culshaw doing a pretty good Brigadier.

The Sirens Of time the first ever BF audio is a free download this week on the BF site.

Hope it's better than the first one, I found that really tedious.

Malcy

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 18, 2021, 05:17:45 PM
Hope it's better than the first one, I found that really tedious.

No idea really. I rarely remember anything about a BF audio after I listen to it. I had to go back and listen to the last 10 mins of the first boxset as I couldn't remember what happened.

daf

It's Saturday teatime 2005 all over again . . .

Trailer for the first Ninth Doctor set > > > here

I think Eccleston's the first Doctor to sound younger and more enthusiastic on Big Finish than he did on TV.

Malcy

Eccleston to take on a Cyberman on the set of Fritz Lang's Metropolis and meet up with the Brigadier on the Firth Of Forth!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-ninth-doctor-vs-the-cybermen

daf

John Dorney is one of their top writers, so this should be pretty good!

Malcy

Quote from: daf on March 29, 2021, 04:30:16 PM
John Dorney is one of their top writers, so this should be pretty good!

I wonder where they are fitting all these stories in. I suppose it will be just before the "Did I mention it also travels in time" line in Rose.

Stayed away from the trailer but caught a little bit by accident and he sounds like he's relishing in it!

daf

Could be that gap, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just set the lot pre-Rose.

They've had various Doctors lose their memory a few times - when it's convenient * - so they could just use something like that to account for the line in Rose where he comments on his new ears and think he's just regenerated.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (eg. the Sixth Doctor's memory of Charley Pollard gets wiped - as she meets him first as the Eighth Doctor - or like the 'You won't remember any of this' from the 50th anniversary special)

Malcy

Quote from: daf on March 29, 2021, 05:07:10 PM
Could be that gap, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just set the lot pre-Rose.

They've had various Doctors lose their memory a few times - when it's convenient * - so they could just use something like that to account for the line in Rose where he comments on his new ears and think he's just regenerated.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (eg. the Sixth Doctor's memory of Charley Pollard gets wiped - as she meets him first as the Eighth Doctor - or like the 'You won't remember any of this' from the 50th anniversary special)

A multi-Doctor story to end his BF run with something going wrong and wiping all his memories so far in that incarnation could work I suppose.

vainsharpdad

I always assumed he'd just had a haircut before meeting Rose.

Malcy

Random Who character in Torchwood audio alert.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/torchwood-empire-of-shadows-2407

Zachary Cross Flane from The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit. I've fallen right behind on Torchwood but know they've been doing stories set in various time periods. Think the one set in the Torchwood Archive in the future was the last one I listened to.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Malcy on April 23, 2021, 11:12:25 AM
Random Who character in Torchwood audio alert.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/torchwood-empire-of-shadows-2407

Zachary Cross Flane from The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit. I've fallen right behind on Torchwood but know they've been doing stories set in various time periods. Think the one set in the Torchwood Archive in the future was the last one I listened to.
Getting into the Torchwood audios, I was surprised at how much Torchwood stuff there was in series 2 of Who. Forgot entirely that the guy in the Ood 2 parter was a future space Torchwood agent, until they extrapolated the whole setting for The Torchwood Archive from it. Really love how they've expanded all the lore.

purlieu

BBC doing an Ian and Barbara audiobook, it seems.
Paul Magrs, so it'll be odd no doubt.

Malcy

Don't think I've ever seen any post Chase Ian & Barbara media before. Not together after getting back anyway.

I started writing a short story about Ian years ago. It had him visit a church and see the TARDIS in the stained glass windows and a mysterious person talking to him( I hadn't decided who yet) and then The End of Time came out and I never went back to it. Often think of going back to it and submitting it for the BF thing they do every year. Forget the name of it.

purlieu

Quote from: Malcy on April 25, 2021, 03:06:33 PM
Don't think I've ever seen any post Chase Ian & Barbara media before. Not together after getting back anyway.
The only one I'm aware of is the PDA The Face of the Enemy, when they turn up as scientists to help UNIT and The Master solve a problem while The Doctor and Jo are on Peladon.

Malcy

Quote from: purlieu on April 25, 2021, 05:52:54 PM
The only one I'm aware of is the PDA The Face of the Enemy, when they turn up as scientists to help UNIT and The Master solve a problem while The Doctor and Jo are on Peladon.

I got a free download of that book years ago. Didn't know they were in it. Think that's the one by David McIntee or something like that?

purlieu

Yeah, it's a McIntee one. From memory, it's pretty good.

I enjoy it. It features a LOT of cameos - literally all the way from Harry Sullivan to Lewis Collins and Martin Shaw all the way down to Maurice Roeves. But it works it all out quite well.

mjwilson

Eccleston audios out today. Waiting to see some reviews before I jump in.

daf