Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:22:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Audio Adventures

Started by daf, July 29, 2018, 12:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

purlieu

QuoteMissy, as played by Michelle Gomez, is to star in a new series of audio adventures from Big Finish.

The wicked incarnation of the Master returns, and this time the Doctor isn't here to stop her.

Michelle Gomez, who played the Doctor's best friend and wicked enemy, Missy, in the recent Doctor Who television series, will be returning to the role in some brand new audio adventures from Big Finish Productions made in arrangement with BBC Studios.

Throughout her time on Doctor Who, Missy – an evil incarnation in the guise of a Victorian nanny – was a delightful devil, at one point sentenced to death for terrible crimes against the universe. And now we get the chance to hear more of what she is really capable of.

These new adventures see an unleashed Missy bringing the universe to wrack and ruin. It is due for release in February 2019.

Michelle Gomez told us about letting Missy loose on the people of the universe:
I was very excited to return to Missy's world via the medium of audio because along the way I've always had a lot of fun with Missy; her voices and her rhythms. I absolutely love capturing it and distilling it down to the word on the page.

I'm absolutely delighted! She's such a ridiculously brilliant character, and hopefully that earns her that moment in the spotlight. To find myself centre stage with these Missy adventures is thrilling – I'm very grateful.

And (whilst evading the Doctor's clutches) Missy will encounter another enemy of her 'boyfriend' as she crosses paths with the Meddling Monk played by Rufus Hound.

David Richardson, producer of these adventures told us more
Missy's own series is just like the Time Lady herself – anarchic, funny, unpredictable and wildly imaginative. It's absolutely glorious to have Michelle returning to the character at Big Finish, and our recording days have been filled with so much laughter.

And we haven't even met face to face yet! Michelle's busy filming the new Sabrina series in Vancouver for Netflix and so we've been pairing studios down the line; Michelle thousands of miles away while we're in London synched up with her. It's been a joy to make. And just wait until you hear the collaboration of Missy and the Meddling Monk!

Jason Haigh-Ellery, executive producer, told us about bringing Michelle back as Missy for her own adventures.
Having Michelle Gomez return to Big Finish is wonderful – a lovely lady who was magnificent as Missy in the past couple of seasons of Doctor Who.

Missy: The Audio Adventures is available for pre-order now ahead of its release in February 2019 at £23 on CD or £20 on download from bigfinish.com and will remain at this price until general release when it will be available for £35 on CD or £30 on download.

Malcy

Hopefully BF can write her better than Moffat did. I hated River on TV but think she's written so much better in her audio series. If they could do the same for Missy i'd give these a listen.

Bad Ambassador

daf

purlieu

Oh that's going straight on the list of ones to check out. More Donna & Wilf is always welcome.

Malcy

Brilliant. Looking forward to more Cribbins.

daf

And the Big Finish debut of Theresa May!

(posting it again as the original link got deleted)

purlieu

Norton Canes

Malcy

Not a BF audio but 'An Evening With Jon Pertwee' is a brilliant listen. The BBC play an edited 'Hour With...' from time to time. I'll upload it somewhere if any wants either of them. It's here but low quality

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MQRw-ZFNejk&t=9s

There's also a live performance of it on Youtube.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YLm5sf39kkY&t=1066s

Malcy

https://scontent.fman3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/42748046_2253394744689695_6703995142153437184_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=2fe07befa2aae4befe8ba630e068ab80&oe=5C62FC6B

A special guest is joining the TARDIS but who is she and what does she know about the TARDIS? Says the blurb and that all will be revealed in Jan 2019.

River? Missy?

Saw it on their FB page. Tried to post the image but isn't working. Stuff seems to get announced on FB a day or two before it hits the news page of the website

purlieu

Quote from: Malcy on September 28, 2018, 10:16:46 PM
Tried to post the image but isn't working.
Your image link should always end in the file extension (.jpg, .png, etc.). Anything else after it is irrelevant. Thus:

lol.
Ok let's scrap that.

Malcy

Quote from: purlieu on September 29, 2018, 10:11:17 AM
Your image link should always end in the file extension (.jpg, .png, etc.). Anything else after it is irrelevant. Thus:

lol.
Ok let's scrap that.

Must be interference in the pictures timestream!

Malcy

Tenth Doctor Adventures available in German now. Think thisbis the first time any have been translated

Malcy

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/river-song-series-6-and-7

2 more River Song series announced. There's going to be a pre-Talons Of Weng Chiang story with Henry Jago, Li'Sen Chang & Mr Sin!

daf

I suppose that'd work (without Trevor Baxter) - as Jago hadn't met Litefoot at that point.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on October 01, 2018, 03:45:05 PM
Tenth Doctor Adventures available in German now. Think thisbis the first time any have been translated

Are those the ones where their central appeal was the use of the real original cast rather than soundalikes?  Now completely replaced for the translations, presumably.

Funny.

Phil_A

Quote from: Replies From View on October 11, 2018, 05:29:07 PM
Are those the ones where their central appeal was the use of the real original cast rather than soundalikes?  Now completely replaced for the translations, presumably.

Funny.

The question is if they use the same voice cast that dub the characters in German, which presumably would be the main selling point for Deutsche listeners.

Malcy

mjwilson

Malcy

Quote from: mjwilson on October 15, 2018, 09:11:48 PM
No barrel left unscraped.

It's Big Finish. Nick Briggs has a warehouse full of barrels yet to be scraped.

Phil_A

Oddly I was just thinking about Death Comes To Time earlier on, which also featured Culshaw doing his Doctor voices. What a weird, misconceived project that was.

I somehow can't imagine now that the BBC would sign off on a serial where the writer's stated purpose is to kill off the the main character for good, presumably it only happened because the series was basically dead at that point and there was little oversight going on.

Chairman Yang

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-buswoman-returneth

Quote from: bigfinish.com
Bus Woman finally makes her return to Doctor Who in Big Finish Productions' - Buswoman 4: Sepulchre. This hoary old dame first wowed fans in the 2009 Doctor Who special, Busworld, and since then has carved a hole in our hearts with her misery, vague intuitions and stupid friend.

Ellen Thomas (Doctor Who) returns to portray quasi-telepathic curmudgeon The Buswoman in three terrifying new adventures available in November 2018:

Chorus of the Daleks by Nicholas Briggs,
Arc of Disappointment by Matt Fitton,
Stephen King's IT Only in Space This Time by Guy Adams

"I'm very excited about discovering the new adventures of Bus Woman" lied executive producer Jason Haigh-Ellery. "There is so much we can do with the character".

The Buswoman is a poisonous crone that nobody likes.

Replies From View

That's great!

Small Man Big Horse

Shaky

That is fucking brilliant and it needs to be brought to the attention of Nicholas Briggs!

Mister Six

Cracking up on the subway thanks to that!

purlieu

Superb. Far, far too good, actually.

Malcy

Another of the River stories is to be set during 'The Web Of Fear' and is bringing back one if it's characters Captain Knight 50 years later!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/river-song-series-6?fbclid=IwAR2BgjV6JaLsyPN0-kKmwrG3LIegJ6oGL_GwqzoDVNK2nfVzb1ylL0vcbSw