Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:29:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Audio Adventures

Started by daf, July 29, 2018, 12:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Jon Culshaw is ALSO...

The Brigadier!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/third-doctor-jo-grant-and-liz-shaw-return

Sounds quite convincing although you'd know it was Culshaw. John Levene is back as Benton and Caroline John's daughter is playing Liz Shaw.

Small Man Big Horse

Eh, he's not bad, but the guy playing the 3rd Doctor is a bit rubbish.

Malcy

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 22, 2018, 11:10:55 PM
Eh, he's not bad, but the guy playing the 3rd Doctor is a bit rubbish.

First time I've ever heard him. I stay away from the audios with recasted or soundalike Doctors.

Malcy

Bad Ambassador

Funny how the spin-off media have really overtly pushed a feminist agenda, where the actual series is just getting on with being a show with a strong female lead. Almost as if they don't feel the need to make a song and dance about it if you're just doing it. And that people making money from the licence are making use of a business opportunity with a new audience, while trying to claim a moral victory at the same time.

Malcy

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on October 30, 2018, 01:12:48 PM
Funny how the spin-off media have really overtly pushed a feminist agenda, where the actual series is just getting on with being a show with a strong female lead. Almost as if they don't feel the need to make a song and dance about it if you're just doing it. And that people making money from the licence are making use of a business opportunity with a new audience, while trying to claim a moral victory at the same time.

Yeah it's a bit 'look at us'.

Malcy

Bad Ambassador

Brilliant. These are fantastic, almost convincing as the real thing. I've got tears rolli-

Oh.

Oh.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on November 01, 2018, 02:02:27 PM

The Alive Planet
The Sea of Life
Sentence of Life
The Warriors of Life
A Race Against Life
The Life of Time
The Life of Doctor Who
Life of a Spy
Golden Life
The Seeds of Life
The Ambassadors of Life
The Green Life - use this one
Life to the Daleks
The Lively Assassin
The Robots of Life
City of Life
The Unquiet Alive
Forest of the Alive
Planet of the Alive
Life in Heaven

gatchamandave

Life, the Universe and Nothing Much

purlieu

I really want them to do The Lively Assassin now. Sounds like a right lark.

purlieu

Malcy

Quote from: purlieu on November 06, 2018, 12:23:02 PM
It was only a matter of time. The Paternoster Gang come to Big Finish!

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/11/the-paternoster-gang-return-for-big.html

I was never a huge fan of Vastra. Would really have liked Jenny to have become a companion and Strax is good comedy relief. There always seemed to be a want for them to have a spin off TV show but think audio is a good place for them.

daf

Yes, Strax is the main draw for me on this - his Jago & Litefoot story was excellent :

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/jago-litefoot-strax---the-haunting-1342

Malcy

Quote from: daf on November 06, 2018, 01:49:22 PM
Yes, Strax is the main draw for me on this - his Jago & Litefoot story was excellent :

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/jago-litefoot-strax---the-haunting-1342

Yeah I like that one. Odd pairing but it works.

daf

Wonder if they'll have them nip into the Red Tavern at some point - be nice to hear Ellie again (and Jago if he pops in for a foaming ale)

daf

Quote from: Malcy on October 22, 2018, 10:26:00 PM
Caroline John's daughter is playing Liz Shaw.

Interview with Daisy Ashford

QuoteAs I was preparing for the part I was watching her old episodes and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed watching them. It was nice to reconnect, and to see her again in action... she's really good, which can also be daunting! It's been really nice, and to talk about her and refresh memories of her.

Malcy

purlieu

Well it was only a matter of time
QuoteRose Tyler is returning for a new Doctor Who audio spin-off, and she's bringing along her family and friends...

'We've been building this travel machine, this dimension cannon, so I could... Well, so I could come back. Anyway, suddenly, it started to work and the dimensions started to collapse. Not just in our world, not just in yours, but the whole of reality.' Rose Tyler – Doctor Who: Journey's End

Billie Piper is returning to the Doctor Who universe in Rose Tyler: The Dimension Cannon, a new audio series made in association with BBC Studios.

It follows Rose's journey through dying parallel worlds, and also stars Camille Coduri as Rose's mum Jackie, Shaun Dingwall as her dad Pete, Mark Benton as alien investigator Clive Finch and Elli Garnett as Caroline Finch.

The four episodes follow Rose's mission to seek out the Doctor, the only person who can save the doomed multiverse... 'I love how normal Rose is, and yet really extraordinary,' says Billie Piper. 'She lived a normal average life but she is incredibly curious and has an enormous capacity for love and empathy and is really spirited. She is extraordinary."

'I approached Russell T Davies with the idea of Big Finish making a Rose Tyler spin-off,' says producer David Richardson. 'He was very enthusiastic – as always – and suggested we followed Rose's journey that ultimately leads to her finding the Doctor in The Stolen Earth. I found the proposal irresistible, and instantly script editor Matt Fitton and I were throwing around ideas. There is a whole multiverse of possibilities. Russell suggested including Jackie and Pete, and embraced my idea of including a parallel universe version of Clive – who of course was killed off in the TV series (in the 2005 episode Rose).

'Russell guided us gently through the development – steering us towards ideas that worked brilliantly, ensuring things that needed improvement were fixed, and also throwing out the ideas that didn't work. I'm absolutely delighted with what we have – a family drama about the end of worlds. It's about love and loss and things that might have been – and our brilliant cast have embraced the emotional scripts.'

daf

Ah Purlers you scamp, beat me to it!

Piper looks like she's been on a seaweed and thistle diet!

Malcy

Mark Benton back as Clive! Looking forward to it. No point submitting my Clive short trip next year anymore though...

Chairman Yang

If any of you are 7th Doctor apologists like me then you'll probably really enjoy the back half of the first New Adventures set. Lots of skulking and scheming going on, along with the occasional falling over like a prat - typical Seven. I thought the third story of was particularly satisfying in how it all comes together... which... you know, is a relief.

Malcy

Jacobi had a great Master laugh. Really need to finish the last boxset and listen to the new one. Has a great premise.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MstjDqD1UuQ

Quote from: Malcy on December 06, 2018, 11:49:13 PM
Jacobi had a great Master laugh. Really need to finish the last boxset and listen to the new one. Has a great premise.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MstjDqD1UuQ

I listened to the first part of the new set last night. It is indeed great, really slow-burning and sinister. Mainly follows around the new characters, with Jacobi lurking at the edges. Looking forward to listening to the rest this weekend.

Malcy

River Song Vs UNIT

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/river-song-vs-unit

4 Stories, one of which is a sequel to a main range Colin Baker story from last year. Looks like someone's being bumped off as well.

Anyone tried the Ravenous 2 set? Perfect Christmas eps from Dorney.

Malcy

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on December 07, 2018, 03:40:11 PM
Anyone tried the Ravenous 2 set? Perfect Christmas eps from Dorney.

Haven't even got round to the first yet. Really falling behind with BF. They release too much.

daf

Quote from: Malcy on December 07, 2018, 03:50:22 PM
They release too much.

I can't imagine anyone buys everything they put out, do they? That way surely leads to madness and penury!

My own bespoke list now stands at :

- All Fourth Doctors - not all gold, but it's the real Tom - instant purchase!
- Most Fifth Doctors - paricularly like the early Erimem & Peri ones (Nyssa also a favourite)
- All Sixth Doctors - the best . . . just THE best!
- Selected Eighth Doctors - ONLY the ones with Charley (I think of them more as Charlotte Pollards with the 8th as guest doctor) *
- Most Companion Chronicles (haven't bothered with the Susan, Ace or Mel ones)
- - - - - - - - -
- All Jago & Litefoots - not a single dud among them
- All Iris Wildthymes (not that many - four box sets & some specials - got the whole lot done and dusted in one go in a sale)
- Bernice Summerfield - All the single releases & couple of the later box sets.

- - - - - - - - -
* Still need to get some of the out of print early ones, but some of them are now so eye-wateringly expensive, I may have to settle for the download versions.

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on November 26, 2018, 04:26:09 PM
Ah Purlers you scamp, beat me to it!

Piper looks like she's been on a seaweed and thistle diet!

I thought she was in some kind of onesie for a moment.