Author Topic: Ricky Gervais: SuperNature  (Read 13594 times)

a duncandisorderly

• the rough and tumble of the internet
Re: Ricky Gervais: SuperNature
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2019, 12:36:42 PM »
[dawkins dies & meets God]

"oh. you're real. so this is heaven?"
"no."

Blue Jam

• AM NO A GRASS
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2019, 01:44:02 PM »
Oh, he really is avoiding any mention of Merchant there.

Oh yes, he totally is.

I liked Gervais' description of The 11 o'Clock Show as "sort of like a cutting-edge no-holds-barred sort of Saturday Night Live". Ha.

« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2019, 02:31:03 PM »
Ricky Gervais retweeted... oh of course he fucking did:

"Failure to get irony". Fffffffuck off!

« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2019, 08:19:21 PM »
Christ I see he's started RTing "Titania McGrath" now, new personal nadir.

Blue Jam

• AM NO A GRASS
« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2019, 02:58:54 PM »
Does he retweeted that same tweet from "Ricky Gervais Trivia" every few days?

https://mobile.twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1159020086939791362

Why? It's weird.

McFlymo

• Pre-"Post Reply" Anxiety
« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2019, 09:48:44 PM »

Oh good, always thought Sam Harris was a good debater with some shite opinions, now I realise he is completely morally bankrupt. It's hard to decide who comes off worse here, Harris for being so aggressive about "good faith arguments" and then allowing a cynical sell-out comedian on his show, or Gervais for trying to gain credibility by appearing on this wank fest.

« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2019, 11:23:47 PM »
Oh good, always thought Sam Harris was a good debater with some shite opinions, now I realise he is completely morally bankrupt. It's hard to decide who comes off worse here, Harris for being so aggressive about "good faith arguments" and then allowing a cynical sell-out comedian on his show, or Gervais for trying to gain credibility by appearing on this wank fest.
It's Harris that comes across worse.

« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2019, 11:56:00 PM »
I’d say there’s a decent chance that Gervais will be declared Hitchens’s replacement as one of the so-called Four Horsemen of New Atheism (that “so-called” modifier is there as my personal cringe buffer). For sure if Jane Fallon helps him shit out a book on the subject.

Blue Jam

• AM NO A GRASS
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2019, 12:18:17 PM »
For sure if Jane Fallon helps him shit out a book on the subject.

I keep forgetting his partner is a bestselling novellist- ie, someone who presumably understands a thing or two about writing believable plots and relatable characters. Does she ever help him out, I wonder? I suspect not...

I've also just realised that whole thing about how Ricky has never finished reading a book must mean he has also never finished one of Jane Fallon's...

« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2019, 08:39:27 AM »

Jockice

• I really have red hair. And a **********.

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2019, 11:04:38 AM »
It definitely feels like the disabled people he works with are thought of by him as validating his own obsession with people who are different to him. I vividly remember at the height of MongGate, Gervais tweeting that of course he couldn't be prejudiced, because they'd had Francesca Martinez on Extras - blissfully unaware that she was being openly critical of him on Twitter for his pissweak defence of the word.

It's why I went off him in the first place. Up until Life's Too Short came out, I was a full Gervais fanboy, and I really loved Warwick Davis, too. I was really excited to get to see him do a comedy about his experiences. And then production started and it was all HA HA WARWICK IN A BIN and HA HA WARWICK IN A TOILET and advert after advert where Gervais did that 'yeah we've got a dwarfism one' shtick, and I saw nothing of Warwick getting to be funny off his own back.

Phoenix Lazarus

• Why bother writing stuff below your avatar?
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2019, 11:35:22 AM »
Ash Atalla has made this not remotely surprising revelation about Gervais: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/news/ricky-gervais-wheelchair-jokes-disabled-people-ash-atalla-the-office-a9084841.html

Interesting view in a comment on that article:

Gervais is lucky in that having never pandered to the woke purge, he doesn’t need to be afraid of the vultures. None of his fans care about his thought crimes, your show-trial by social media has no currency and he is immune.

« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2019, 01:17:24 PM »
imagine if ricky gervais had a son and he made them dress the same as him, fold their arms all the time and smirk knowingly about how there is no god.

Pdine

• Apparently I'm Jewish
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2019, 02:33:41 PM »
Ash Atalla said looking back on the jokes Gervais made about his wheelchair use makes him ‘uncomfortable’

...makes Atalla sound a bit like a wheelchair addict.

« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2019, 07:31:50 PM »
imagine if ricky gervais had a son

Pic of Ricky and baby.
Baby is doing an innocently gormless expression and Ricky is copying it, mongface to the max.
Caption: “Jane, one of us needs our nappy changing.”
Pinned tweet.

Phoenix Lazarus

• Why bother writing stuff below your avatar?
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2019, 07:54:00 PM »

Is that look Gervais's attempt to convey gravitas?

easytarget

• five gas lighters for a pound
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2019, 08:39:23 PM »
Gervitas

Bennett Brauer

• I'm not "likeable"
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2019, 10:55:00 PM »
Ash Atalla has made this not remotely surprising revelation about Gervais: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/news/ricky-gervais-wheelchair-jokes-disabled-people-ash-atalla-the-office-a9084841.html

The original Times article mentioned in that link also included this particularly mirthless photo.

Chriddof

• Things start to happen!
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2019, 05:22:21 AM »
Looking at that, you can really see where the brilliance of "Jesus on cross with ATHEIST written on his chest" and "Churchill doing the V-sign behind Hitler's head" came from.

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2019, 06:51:00 AM »
Fucking hell, Gervais pointing. DO YOU GET IT?!?

« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2019, 08:32:33 AM »

According to The Times, Astra told the Edinburgh Television Festival last week: “I was complicit in him making fun of the wheelchair

Who's Astra?

Jockice

• I really have red hair. And a **********.
« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2019, 10:15:43 AM »
Who's Astra?

That bloke with the dreadlocks from UB40.

« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2019, 02:35:34 PM »
That bloke with the dreadlocks from UB40.

Strange the way they just seamlessly slipped a quote by him into an article about Ash Atalla.

« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2019, 02:38:15 PM »
wonder how often ricky reads this thread. twice a day?