Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:38:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a duncandisorderly

[dawkins dies & meets God]

"oh. you're real. so this is heaven?"
"no."

Blue Jam

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 19, 2019, 10:31:55 PM
Oh, he really is avoiding any mention of Merchant there.

Oh yes, he totally is.

I liked Gervais' description of The 11 o'Clock Show as "sort of like a cutting-edge no-holds-barred sort of Saturday Night Live". Ha.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 18, 2019, 05:54:16 PM
Ricky Gervais retweeted... oh of course he fucking did:

"Failure to get irony". Fffffffuck off!

Armin Meiwes

Christ I see he's started RTing "Titania McGrath" now, new personal nadir.

Blue Jam

Does he retweeted that same tweet from "Ricky Gervais Trivia" every few days?

https://mobile.twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1159020086939791362

Why? It's weird.

McFlymo

Oh good, always thought Sam Harris was a good debater with some shite opinions, now I realise he is completely morally bankrupt. It's hard to decide who comes off worse here, Harris for being so aggressive about "good faith arguments" and then allowing a cynical sell-out comedian on his show, or Gervais for trying to gain credibility by appearing on this wank fest.

peanutbutter

Quote from: McFlymo on August 07, 2019, 09:48:44 PM
Oh good, always thought Sam Harris was a good debater with some shite opinions, now I realise he is completely morally bankrupt. It's hard to decide who comes off worse here, Harris for being so aggressive about "good faith arguments" and then allowing a cynical sell-out comedian on his show, or Gervais for trying to gain credibility by appearing on this wank fest.
It's Harris that comes across worse.

Jumblegraws

I'd say there's a decent chance that Gervais will be declared Hitchens's replacement as one of the so-called Four Horsemen of New Atheism (that "so-called" modifier is there as my personal cringe buffer). For sure if Jane Fallon helps him shit out a book on the subject.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jumblegraws on August 07, 2019, 11:56:00 PM
For sure if Jane Fallon helps him shit out a book on the subject.

I keep forgetting his partner is a bestselling novellist- ie, someone who presumably understands a thing or two about writing believable plots and relatable characters. Does she ever help him out, I wonder? I suspect not...

I've also just realised that whole thing about how Ricky has never finished reading a book must mean he has also never finished one of Jane Fallon's...

BritishHobo

It definitely feels like the disabled people he works with are thought of by him as validating his own obsession with people who are different to him. I vividly remember at the height of MongGate, Gervais tweeting that of course he couldn't be prejudiced, because they'd had Francesca Martinez on Extras - blissfully unaware that she was being openly critical of him on Twitter for his pissweak defence of the word.

It's why I went off him in the first place. Up until Life's Too Short came out, I was a full Gervais fanboy, and I really loved Warwick Davis, too. I was really excited to get to see him do a comedy about his experiences. And then production started and it was all HA HA WARWICK IN A BIN and HA HA WARWICK IN A TOILET and advert after advert where Gervais did that 'yeah we've got a dwarfism one' shtick, and I saw nothing of Warwick getting to be funny off his own back.

Quote from: olliebean on August 31, 2019, 08:39:27 AM
Ash Atalla has made this not remotely surprising revelation about Gervais: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/news/ricky-gervais-wheelchair-jokes-disabled-people-ash-atalla-the-office-a9084841.html

Interesting view in a comment on that article:

QuoteGervais is lucky in that having never pandered to the woke purge, he doesn't need to be afraid of the vultures. None of his fans care about his thought crimes, your show-trial by social media has no currency and he is immune.

idunnosomename

imagine if ricky gervais had a son and he made them dress the same as him, fold their arms all the time and smirk knowingly about how there is no god.

Pdine

QuoteAsh Atalla said looking back on the jokes Gervais made about his wheelchair use makes him 'uncomfortable'

...makes Atalla sound a bit like a wheelchair addict.

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 31, 2019, 01:17:24 PM
imagine if ricky gervais had a son

Pic of Ricky and baby.
Baby is doing an innocently gormless expression and Ricky is copying it, mongface to the max.
Caption: "Jane, one of us needs our nappy changing."
Pinned tweet.

Is that look Gervais's attempt to convey gravitas?

easytarget

Bennett Brauer

Ash Atalla has made this not remotely surprising revelation about Gervais: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/news/ricky-gervais-wheelchair-jokes-disabled-people-ash-atalla-the-office-a9084841.html

The original Times article mentioned in that link also included this particularly mirthless photo.

Chriddof

Looking at that, you can really see where the brilliance of "Jesus on cross with ATHEIST written on his chest" and "Churchill doing the V-sign behind Hitler's head" came from.

BritishHobo

Fucking hell, Gervais pointing. DO YOU GET IT?!?

checkoutgirl

QuoteAccording to The Times, Astra told the Edinburgh Television Festival last week: "I was complicit in him making fun of the wheelchair

Who's Astra?

Jockice

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Jockice on September 03, 2019, 10:15:43 AM
That bloke with the dreadlocks from UB40.

Strange the way they just seamlessly slipped a quote by him into an article about Ash Atalla.

Hat FM

wonder how often ricky reads this thread. twice a day?

Mobius

Ferris

If Stewart Lee sued a ludicrously balding man (for merely stealing material that was several decades old), his CaB rep would be in tatters.

Step carefully, Lee.

BritishHobo

God, that really is all he's got, isn't it? The fact that his trailer is just him explaining the "irony" excuse really shows how thin his material is.

frajer

The fact he wears the same clothes for every stand-up makes these feel vastly more interchangeable than most specials.

The fact his material is identical doesn't help either.

Ron Superior

Seeing stealing from Stewart Lee as a great opportunity for plausible deniability.

He gets to say things most of his audience will think, and pretend that he's playing with the form or whatever. God he's shit.