Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:53:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Celebs Who Change(d) Their Accents and/or Vocal Mannerisms

Started by Satchmo Distel, July 29, 2018, 05:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Dr Rock

I noted that on a recent 8 Out Of Ten Countdown, Sean Lock's voice sounded completely different. I'm assuming he has cancer or is preparing for a role.

bgmnts

I want Tom Hardy to adopt his Locke "Welsh" accent forever.

jobotic

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 30, 2018, 09:59:49 AM
I noted that on a recent 8 Out Of Ten Countdown, Sean Lock's voice sounded completely different. I'm assuming he has cancer or is preparing for a role.

aI noticed that but i wasn't really watching. Was it mentioned in the show?

Dr Rock

Clownbaby

Maybe he's lost his voice snd it's taking forever to come back. It's been bugging me too his weirdly husky voice

Utter Shit

They didn't bring it up, but it's been slightly husky for the two episodes he's appeared on this series (the first of the series was an all-women special). That could cover just a couple of weeks, and hopefully does, but I haven't seen him on TV for a while prior to that so it could have been longer.

This is all a bit morbid but I found it odd that for part of the last series he suddenly had a shaved head which has now grown back...he had a beard as well though, so maybe it was for a job. He seems to be quite a private bloke (by which I mean he doesn't have a Twitter account, or more specifically has a Twitter account with only two tweets, one offering condolences for the death of Addison Cresswell and the other telling everyone to go fuck themselves) so it's difficult to know really, but I hope he's ok.

jobotic

I saw him live at the beginning of the year a and he had the shaved head and beard. He referenced it but I can't remember what he said. Pretty sure he didn't mentioned illness though.

His voice was fine.

Clownbaby

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 30, 2018, 02:56:23 AM
I've yet to hear a Scotland person do a proper East Kent accent. It always sounds more Sussex than anything! The daft taffy hinnies.
Limmy's English accent is absolutely spot on though.

Strongly criticising people's bad attempts at accents in films and on TV always sits a bit funny with me because I've met all sorts of people with totally insane weird accents. I bet there's loads of people who talk like Keanu Reeves in Dracula.

Clownbaby

Benedict Cumberbatch's shit American accent in Doctor Strange. Marvel films always get something wrong.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 30, 2018, 11:27:46 AM
Benedict Cumberbatch's shit American accent in Doctor Strange. Marvel films always get something wrong.
Yes, he sounds like House. But, again, maybe Stephen Strange just has a weird accent for some reason. It's not the most far-fetched thing about the Sorceror Supreme.

Clownbaby

I think that might be giving Marvel movies too much credit. I bet the 'batch just failed to execute a convincing American accent

Pebble_Mill

Apologies if I've missed this being said, but Charlie Hunnam / Humdrum is a very strange one. On the one hand it seems like he never had much of a Geordie accent to lose, but on the other, he's such a befuddlingly terrible actor you can't be sure how much of any of his performances are weird or just plain shit.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 29, 2018, 07:17:13 PM
It's so weird to me how some people will just pick up accents. One of my cousins was a teenager when she moved to Glasgow and she picked up the most exaggeratedly Glasgow accent, she still has it now.

I wonder if there's a correlation between people who easily pick up accents and people who are easily influenced.  People with an affected accent would probably be a stage hypnotist's wet dream.

paruses

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 30, 2018, 01:44:17 PM
I wonder if there's a correlation between people who easily pick up accents and people who are easily influenced.  People with an affected accent would probably be a stage hypnotist's wet dream.

Or the opposite - isn't that mirroring thing a sociopath / negotiator tactic?

manticore

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 30, 2018, 01:44:17 PM

I'm thinking this must be true. I can't imagine ever picking up an accent and when I went to a hypnotherapist she couldn't put me under, which proves the theory. (I fooled her by pretending though, which I feel guilty about, though it saved embarassment.)

paruses

Quote from: manticore on July 30, 2018, 03:26:07 PM
...when I went to a hypnotherapist she couldn't put me under, which proves the theory. (I fooled her by pretending though, which I feel guilty about, though it saved embarassment.)

Same but with a stage hypnotist during Fresher's week. He realized too and quickly pretended to put me back to sleep by bopping me on the head with the microphone and turning his attention to the one who was more convincing at pretending to be hypnotized.

I also pretended to be asleep when he bopped me on the head rather than taking it off him and sticking it up his arse.

Clownbaby

A cooking teacher I had when I was about 11 believed that she had healing powers. She'd hover her hand over the area and say "it should start to feel warm any minute now!" There was a lad who had a sprained rust all wrapped up and start he did it for him started he was all like "oh yeah, that's weird it's totally working", obviously indulging her. One day I got a very bad neck injury from being absolutely whacked by a football and she tried it on me and it didn't do a thing, surprise surprise. It didn't feel warm or anything so I just told her it didn't work and nothing was happening and she was genuinely confused

MiddleRabbit

I went on holiday to America a couple of years ago and, when I spoke as I normally do - a pretty mild northern English accent, just received blank looks from the people I spoke to.  I realised that if I put on a (fairly poor) American accent, I was immediately understood.  It was a bit odd, like WWII films in which the Germans speak English, but in a crappy German accent.

I reckon that's why it happens: so Americans can understand you if you're English.  Like the easiest language you can learn, putting on a shitty accent.

I didn't mind the Americans I met, they were just like big kids - naive and not so much friendly as over familiar. 

Just to stereotype millions of people based on about fifty I met in Florida...

Edit - Oh, Ian Brown morphed from being a pleasant, well spoken Northern, grammar school educated young man into someone who was raised in a ditch in Moss Side somewhere between the first album and Second Coming.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on July 30, 2018, 05:35:15 PM
I went on holiday to America a couple of years ago and, when I spoke as I normally do - a pretty mild northern English accent, just received blank looks from the people I spoke to.  I realised that if I put on a (fairly poor) American accent, I was immediately understood.  It was a bit odd, like WWII films in which the Germans speak English, but in a crappy German accent.

I reckon that's why it happens: so Americans can understand you if you're English.  Like the easiest language you can learn, putting on a shitty accent.

I didn't mind the Americans I met, they were just like big kids - naive and not so much friendly as over familiar. 

Just to stereotype millions of people based on about fifty I met in Florida...

Edit - Oh, Ian Brown morphed from being a pleasant, well spoken Northern, grammar school educated young man into someone who was raised in a ditch in Moss Side somewhere between the first album and Second Coming.

Don't forget that most Americans are easily fooled by even the poorest attempt at an American accent - Bob Hoskins and the aforementioned Hugh Laurie are DEFINITELY American.  Where have they been hiding all of this time?  What's that?  They're BRIDDISH???!!!!  Fuck off, they're not!!!!!!!  OHMIGAAAAAAAAAD THEY ARRRRRRRE!!!!!

Apologies to any American CaBbers, but us Brits have seen and heard it time and time again - a well known star over here tries to break in the States, does what we think is a dreadful American accent but then has loads of American critics captivated by this unbelievably authentic American accent.  It's a very very odd thing.

MiddleRabbit

Oh, it was definitely a shitty accent that I put on, but they didn't seem to mind.  In fact, as it meant I was no longer speaking a foreign language - apparently - they seemed to prefer that.  I hated myself for doing it.  A bit.

Jockice

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 30, 2018, 02:56:23 AM
I've yet to hear a Scotland person do a proper East Kent accent. It always sounds more Sussex than anything! The daft taffy hinnies.

Fack off!

Replies From View

Ringo Starr suddenly has a Californian twang (or whatever kind of US twang it is) whenever he says "and errr...".  Which is strangely often, but he doesn't employ it at any other time.  A very odd affectation.

Replies From View

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on July 29, 2018, 07:32:54 PM
Lloyd Grossman's accent makes me want to drown him in a puddle though. Fuck's sake.

Funnily enough doesn't have the two Ls in his first name.  Loyd Grossman, his name is, which written down looks about as perverse as his voice sounds.

Also, was he "turning the tables" on the judges or "lifting the lid" on them?  A confusing man all round.

Replies From View

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 29, 2018, 08:11:52 PM
There was an episode of My Parents Are Aliens where a Scottish  lad called Trent who'd been in it from the start revealed in the final episode that he ACTUALLY WASN'T SCOTTISH AND HAD BEEN FAKING IT THE WHOLE TIME. Such a shit and pointless twist

Was there a spin-off series called This Lad Isn't Even Scottish?

Replies From View

Quote from: greencalx on July 29, 2018, 11:16:47 PM
This is why I was surprised to discover that Geordies apparently do say "Why aye".

Usually "why aye man".

Clownbaby

Brundle-Fly

John Lydon got more 'Cockney barra boy' since he moved to L.A in the eighties. I think he was desperate not to get a Californian twang so notched up his working class Norf Lundun geeza voice compared to the soft spoken lad from 1976,

Lewis Hamilton. Grew up sounding like a lad from Stevenage, ended up as a croaking, Transatlantic cunt.

THE RAPPERS WILL NEVER TRULY ACCEPT YOU, LEWIS.