Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:54:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Celebs Who Change(d) Their Accents and/or Vocal Mannerisms

Started by Satchmo Distel, July 29, 2018, 05:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: Jockice on July 29, 2018, 08:09:08 PM
I did stick it out! My family moved from Scotland to England when I was seven and then moved house another twice in the next three years, the final time to a completely different area just before my last year at junior school. So that was four schools at which I was the only Scottish kid. Great fun as you can possibly imagine.

That's interesting, cheers! Made me realise that my parents don't have particularly strong accents, so probably I just reverted to talking like they did, as no-one around me had a Lancashire accent, so I just didn't hear it any more.

The Lurker

Quote from: Pebble_Mill on July 30, 2018, 12:16:55 PM
Apologies if I've missed this being said, but Charlie Hunnam / Humdrum is a very strange one. On the one hand it seems like he never had much of a Geordie accent to lose, but on the other, he's such a befuddlingly terrible actor you can't be sure how much of any of his performances are weird or just plain shit.

His attempt at a Cockney accent in Green Street was fucking terrible.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

I grew up in the North East (to quote Scotland The What?: "The North-East of Scotland, not the North-East of the UK, which is near Tyneside), but have lived in Edinburgh for twenty years. My friends are endlessly amused if I get a phone call from my family, because apparently my voice goes full Doric for the duration. I have no idea it happens.

Which prompts a musing: Would there be mileage in a chat show that surprises each guest with an interviewer who speaks in their (the 'sleb's) native accent, purely to have them unconsciously undermine their cultivated voice?

George White

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 29, 2018, 05:57:52 PM
I hate that so much.
It doesn't work, because he's obviously lost the accent or never quite had it. He moved to the US when he was a small child. Though he had probably the most authentic Scots accent in Reign.

George White

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 29, 2018, 07:50:14 PM
There's another celeb who has a VERY similar accent to Grossman, but fucked if I can remember who it is now...
Robin Leech? The opposite - a Brit in the US.

Thomas

Cilla Black is sounding a lot more dead in recent years.

George White

Barrowman's "Scots" reminds me of Sheena Easton/Lulu, with their weird Transatlantic accents and playing up thelocalisms. "I love po-tayto scohanns."

I find Bill Brysons accent off putting, the bits of it that are English give him a slightly prissy sounding air.

Ferris

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on December 06, 2018, 09:57:00 PM
I find Bill Brysons accent off putting, the bits of it that are English give him a slightly prissy sounding air.

I find it very soothing, strangely. I use his audiobooks to fall asleep on planes guaranteed.

I can also do a half-decent impression, because his mannerisms are so predictable.

George White

It's sort of like the George Plimpton-type intellectual American twang, but more rural.

Phil_A

TV Offal had an incredible clip of Phillipa Forrester in her student TV days .

https://youtu.be/ca5RRaxmEgY?t=1077

"Apart from that there's FACK ALL on at the theatre this week."

a duncandisorderly

Sebastian Cobb

Mary Anne Hobbs used to sound aggressive and more norther back in the R1 rock show and Breezeblock days, now she sounds mellow and giggly stoned. She lost most of her northerness on some R3 thing I heard her do and all.

flotemysost

Some of my female (Southern English) friends have started to adopt a weird drawn-out vocal fry in their speech, which I assume is influenced by hearing how American celebrities talk, but with their accents it just makes them sound like vacuous Sloanes (which they're not), it's really irritating.

Lindsay Lohan debuted her new accent a couple of years ago, which to me sounded a bit like an automatic text-to-speech robot with a slight Slavic influence, but goodness knows where it came from.

hummingofevil

Quote from: mothman on July 29, 2018, 06:49:55 PM
Barrowman I think switches at will (I saw a documentary about his life and when he Skyped his parents - who are still in the US after emigrating there - he talks in his natural Scottish accent; he also used it in the Glasgow Commonwealth Games opening ceremony).

Explained here. https://youtu.be/lcKol37OR6s

"Yes? Or No?"

Natnar

Quote from: Kane Jones on July 29, 2018, 06:21:01 PM
What about singers who do this? Biggest culprit is Paul Weller. Sounds all cockney in The Jam, fast forward to the likes of Changing Man and suddenly he's all gruff, bluesy and American.

Mike Scott of The Waterboys seems to sound more Irish the older he gets.

JesusAndYourBush

Craig Ferguson poshed up massively since his Bing Hitler days.

George White

Quote from: Natnar on December 09, 2018, 02:35:44 PM
See also John Boorman. He sounds English, but more generically so, with a hint of the Anglo-Irish about certain pronunciations. Interviews with him when he was younger, he sounds just that little less "George Manning from Glenroe".

im barry bethel

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 29, 2018, 06:07:58 PM
coverdale's originally from teesside, as am I, & he'd briefly dated the older sister of a near-neighbour of mine, before he joined the stream of english vocalists going to live in LA.

Brian Johnson was a full on Geordie welder before joining AC/DC and despite nearly 40yrs in LA his accent hasn't softened

Mr Ashdown

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 29, 2018, 07:50:14 PM
There's another celeb who has a VERY similar accent to Grossman, but fucked if I can remember who it is now...

James Mason.

Lost Oliver

Mark Watson? Didn't he pretend to be Welsh and then just stopped?

maett

My dear boy has no one's mentioned good old Wembley lad Keith Moon's affectation from some time in the late 60s until his death?

My accent softened when I went to University mainly due to the fact that no one understood what the fuck i was going on about.  When i went back home my mates used to take the piss out of my "southern" accent.   Couldn't win!

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Natnar on December 09, 2018, 02:35:44 PM
Sure I read a Karl Wallinger jibe after he'd left the Waterboys about wanting to tell Scott to "stop pretending to be Irish".

I suppose there could have been a response about "stop pretending to be one of the Beatles", ho ho.