Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,479
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:09:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Any tabletop RPG fans about?

Started by Fry, July 30, 2018, 12:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

Next weekend my DnD group are getting together, but one of our regular players can't make it and another non-regular player is coming along. So rather than do a session with these less an ideal circumstances, I thought I'd bring along a new simple, easy to learn RPG with which we could do a one-shot adventure.  I was looking for something sci-fi or cyberpunk based preferably, but I'm open to anything that looks interesting and is a change from the regular goblins and wizards faux medieval thing you get with DnD. Something rules-lite would be preferable, so we can just jump right in and get fairly pissed while we play and still be able to have fun.

Anyone have any recommendations?

nedthemumbler

Not the wrong crowd, shirley not!  Must just not be paying attention.

ASFTSN

Check out Stay Frosty. You'll probably have to get the (small and cheap) PDF from RPGnow.

It is, as the name suggests, a kick-arse rules light RPG about marines shooting up aliens/mutants/demons/cultists. Only downside is there are no published adventures about but if you fancy playing a one-session sized one I wrote shoot me a PM.

Alternatively there is a super rules light cyberpunk RPG called Wired Neon Cities, again you would have to do your own prep.

Lastly maybe look up X Plorers, it's a sort of what-if game inspired by what might have been in 1970s D&D was inspired by Golden Age sci-fi instead of Tolkien. I think the whole rulebook and sample adventure come to 48 pages so again very rules light!

Stay Frosty is so good though. That's my main recommendation. Had a blast running it!

ASFTSN

Just realised how old the thread is, sorry dude. Hope that's of some use anyway.

monolith

Oops, I was going to reply to this but then forgot.

Or rather, I was going to ask my DnD DM as he is always trying to get us to one shot random tabletop games when there is not a full squad.

Too late I suppose.

But yes, am a fan, although only started playing in the last few years.

Mister Six

Is there a website that matches up people who are looking for groups to play DnD or other RPGs? A sort of Tinder for games - a Tindnd if you will (which you probably won't)?

I've finally got something approaching a normal schedule back and I'd like to get back into the ol' dice-rolling, y'see. I want to be careful about the group though - I don't want to get lumbered with twats or creeps or people who take it too seriously. Hoping to find a group with a decent sense of humour.

EDIT: Doesn't have to be DnD, which I've never actually played. I only have experience in 13th Age and Legend of the Five Rings.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Mister Six on August 27, 2018, 05:48:13 AM
Is there a website that matches up people who are looking for groups to play DnD or other RPGs? A sort of Tinder for games - a Tindnd if you will (which you probably won't)?

I've finally got something approaching a normal schedule back and I'd like to get back into the ol' dice-rolling, y'see. I want to be careful about the group though - I don't want to get lumbered with twats or creeps or people who take it too seriously. Hoping to find a group with a decent sense of humour.

EDIT: Doesn't have to be DnD, which I've never actually played. I only have experience in 13th Age and Legend of the Five Rings.

I don't know if it took off, but at Dragonmeet last year there were some guys promoting an app called Muster that aimed to do that. Otherwise Meetup works quite well.

Dex Sawash

I'm pretending to be a tabletop right now.

Mister Six

Quote from: ASFTSN on August 27, 2018, 09:39:07 AM
I don't know if it took off, but at Dragonmeet last year there were some guys promoting an app called Muster that aimed to do that. Otherwise Meetup works quite well.

Cheers, I'll take a look!

thraxx

When this happened with my D&D group, we invented a game called Supertropolis.

The players would invent a Viz style superhero with a stupid power, that would start weak, but get powerful (the ability to channel electricity, but only through flesh not metal.  The power to control gravity but only affecting animals). 

The DM would then some kind of crime starting small (a man emptying his grass clippings over his neighbour's fence, Cliff Thorburn cheating in the UK Snooker championship) and ending up big.

Things would escalate until the crimes were solved, usually with the entire destruction of the planet or sometimes the universe.  No dice, no rules, the DM we'd just talk through our actions and the DM would decide if it worked out or not.

It was one of the funniest ways to waste 3 hours or so and we had some of my most hilarious RPG moments with it.  Often more fun than the AD&D campaign we were supposed to be playing.

Or you could just play Blood Bowl.

Fry

I've moved countries and now live too far away from my regular group, so I'm looking to get a new group going for a 5e campaign amongst the expats here. Already had a lot of interest from people, but there's going to be quite a few players who have never played before.

You reckon it would be better to pre-make a load characters (without names and backstories, just race, class and skills) so people can choose what they would like to be and make a character based around that class or let people create their own characters from scratch. Thing is, It can be daunting to have the PH thrown at you and told to make a character, can't it? But on the other hand making characters is one of my favourite things to do.

What are your experiences?

Mister Six

Maybe ask them the kind of character they would like to be (magician, thief, warrior etc) then whittle it down a bit to a specific class, then help them build their characters? Takes a little more prep time, but they'll feel more ownership for their characters.

garbed_attic

Apocalypse World is rules light and nice and dirty, but not completely free-form. Also, it plays well for shorter campaigns (4-8 sessions, say).