Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:51:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

High Maintenance

Started by phes, July 30, 2018, 01:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

Anyone a fan of this?

It's a loosely connected stream of NYC encounters based around the deliveries of a cycling, weed dealer. It was a web series for a number of years but I only came across it when S1 of the TV series was aired on HBO. I watched a few episodes and it just didn't stick. Given the lack of stuff around recently I gave this year's S2 a go and it's excellent. I could never really stomach much Portlandia but you'll will find some overlaps in subject matter here, minus the satire. Neighborhood regeneration, inter-generational relations, sex, politics, isolation, intimacy etc. It's a series that embraces the best and worst of its characters in a really warm way, but never really feels twee or cloying. 

I haven't gone back to watch the web series yet but I do have a sneaking suspicion from the episode lengths and from the few episodes of S1 I watched that it's evolved from a more sketchy affair and become broader and richer. So I don't think it would do any harm to give s2e01 a blast just to see where it's going (it's not really spoilery). It's certainly given me the appetite to go back and watch from the start.

S2 teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuXgpQ6t7aM

Small Man Big Horse

I didn't really get on with the first season either, bailing after the third episode, and up until a couple of months ago I was a regular smoker. I'm intrigued to hear that the second season is a lot better though and will give it a shot soon.

phes

I don't think it would be a problem to just watch the second season straight off. It may well be the best of it, it certainly seems well received, and may give you an appetite to revisit earlier stuff with fresh eyes

Norton Canes

Thought I would watch a quick clip

What does he say at 0:34? I can't help think that the key to unlocking the latent humour in this snippet rests upon me deciphering this pronouncement.

phes

Sounds like 'ever see What about Bob?'

backdrifter

Does anyone have the web series of this?

It seems to be difficult to find these days.

Edit: Also people should check this out if they haven't seen it - it's great.