Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:36:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is Destiny 2 good now?

Started by Barry Admin, July 30, 2018, 09:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

It's on sale on the Xbox at the minute, with the expansion pass. Is it any good?

I understand they've basically reverted the endgame to Destiny 1, following massive grief and players evacuating. My bro plays nothing else so if you got into the first game, it's supposedly been rescued.

Barry Admin

Hmm thanks, it's tempting, but I just saw some stuff about a new "annual pass", which has made me wary. It looks like the cheap game will quickly become defunct when the new DLC comes out, and will require an annual pass on top of that.

Argh, I dunno what to do. I did love the first one, but then you hear about all the loot boxes and such in D2.

Honestly? They really are a bunch of bastards. What about giving Warframe a go? F2P but seems to be massively well supported by the devs, loads of new stuff all the time. I know brat sampson has been hammering it.

Barry Admin

I tried Warframe some months ago and just couldn't get into it to be honest. The missions were all a bit dull and samey, although I know a lot of people think it's amazing. Just didn't click with me sadly.

I didn't particularly take to it myself but I'm not mad keen on the big grind really. Paladins? I'm really enjoying that at the moment. Also F2P, Overwatch kind of thing but great fun and people playing seem a lot more chilled than Overwatch.

BeardFaceMan

Nah keep clear of it neil, its a fucking nightmare. Theyre still doing cunty things like forcing you to buy both of the first 2 expansions in order to be able to play the upcoming one. There are going to be a lot of changes to the game in September, but until then the game is in an awful state. Grind is way to grindy, no fun at all. I could easily level up all 3 characters during Iron Banner week on D1, now it takes me 2 weeks with one character. Not to mention the timegates they put on everything to stop you progressing. Matchmaking is still shit and still no ingame matchmaking, different numbers of people needed for each activity so it makes it hard to keep a team together.  They seemed like they got their shit together at the end of D1, how the fuck the same people managed to come up with D2 is beyond me, its like D1 never happened, theyve learned literally nothing.

Edit - also, the fact it was in a humblebundle for less than a tenner on the pc and its less than half price with all the dlc on the xbox, that should tell you how well the game is doing.

Mobius

Nah it's as shit and boring as ever.

I get fooled into thinking it's different every 6 months or so and it takes about 15 mins to get bored again.

Such a staggeringly lazy game. As BFM says below, utterly inconceivable how many problems D2 has considering the years they spent gradually improving D1.

It didn't even warrant a sequel, just add new planets to D1. The entire fucking thing is the same down to menu/graphics.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah thats the thing I don't get, why not just release more expansions, why did it need a sequel? There's barely anything different looks or gameplay-wise. Not just adding new planets but expanding the old ones too. They are planets after all, they should be fucking huge gameplay areas.

As it is now, I only have the base game and not the expansions, I can increase my light level by about 3 or 4 points a week and that's it. And after the weekly reset, all the activities I can do to increase my light level can be completed in less than 3 hours of play. Any time you get engrams after that they always decrypt to your current light level so you never increase. It's a fucking terrible system, more suited to a shitty mobile game, everything has a fucking time limit on it. It's less a game, more an armour dismantler simulator.

Barry Admin

Thanks for the comprehensive posts guys. The sales refresh on Tuesdays but Destiny has went straight back on sale again, hmm! I kind of think I'd get some enjoyment from it for £16.50, with as casual as I am these days, but I'm still wary of almost immediately being locked out by the new DLC and "annual pass" fuckery.

I got Mass Effect Adromeda for £6 instead, as the Horde-style multiplayer was really great in ME3. Of course, it's fucking infested with loot boxes and shit too, but they won't be getting another penny out of me.

BeardFaceMan

I'd go for the game pass neil if it's still on sale. 8 quid for 3 months, over 100 games and more than a few new ones too.

You'd get a bit of enjoyment out of D2 for the money but only if you play it casually, start playing it for more than 30 minutes a day and you'll run out of stuff to do fast. Even people who have the expansions moan about that. Again, the fact it's on sale so much so soon after release should tell you what the playerbase is like. It might be worth buying it if its on sale but not playing it until Septmeber when they're making all the game changes, apparently it's going to fix a hell of a lot of issues.