Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:06:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars NINE!

Started by momatt, July 31, 2018, 11:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

momatt

Quote from: Shaky on August 01, 2018, 12:22:35 AM
Sure, wasn't having a go at you specifically more the fans who think ol' trusty Abrams is going to bring everything back in line with what they want. Rey is a Skywalker, Snoke is a Sith/Palpatine clone/Darth Fanny and so on. I hope that boat has sailed, for better or worse.

I like Johnson's treatment of Luke so it'll be interesting to see whether the character merely cameos as a Force Ghost in the next one or if he does something more significant.

It's fine, I didn't think you were.  I trust JJ more than Rian, but they've both fucked the franchise in their own ways.
I definitely don't envy JJ, having to write himself out of this mess.  They've kinda fucked it.  I hope I'm wrong.

I genuinely hope Han Solo comes back, after some amazing escape from the exploding Starkiller Base.  That'd be cool.
I thought it was a huge wasted opportunity getting the three main actors from the OT and them, barely sharing any screentime together.

Bhazor

Quote from: Shaky on August 01, 2018, 12:22:35 AM
I like Johnson's treatment of Luke so it'll be interesting

I remember thinking that arc was kind of like Kotor 2 but with less interesting characters.

buzby

Quote from: momatt on August 01, 2018, 10:18:04 AM
I genuinely hope Han Solo comes back, after some amazing escape from the exploding Starkiller Base.  That'd be cool.
And regrowing the flesh, bones and internal organs vapourised from having a massive lightsaber hole though his torso, presumably

greenman

Maybe he can have robo legs like Darth Maul? or at least robo guts.

Bhazor

I hope we get Darth Maul's bottom half as a separate character.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: greenman on August 01, 2018, 11:55:52 AM
Maybe he can have robo legs like Darth Maul? or at least robo guts.
A colostomy bag.

Dr Rock

Quote from: buzby on August 01, 2018, 11:54:50 AM
And regrowing the flesh, bones and internal organs vapourised from having a massive lightsaber hole though his torso, presumably

Han! But how?

That's a story for another time!

Bhazor

Set up for the fourth trilogy there.

But still, the original Star Trek movies got away with that bullshit with search for Spock. Well done completely undermining the whole point of Wrath of Khan, you hack Rodenberry.

Kelvin

Quote from: Bhazor on August 01, 2018, 01:28:15 PM
Set up for the fourth trilogy there.

But still, the original Star Trek movies got away with that bullshit with search for Spock. Well done completely undermining the whole point of Wrath of Khan, you hack Rodenberry.

They already undermine it with the 'remember' scene in Wok, surely?

momatt

Quote from: buzby on August 01, 2018, 11:54:50 AM

We can rebuild him; we have the technology.

He'll be ok I reckon.

buzby

Quote from: momatt on August 01, 2018, 02:16:03 PM
We can rebuild him; we have the technology.

He'll be ok I reckon.
If they got him to EmPalSuReCon in time to patch him up with some cybernetic organs and woodoo hide he could become the next Darth Vader.

momatt

Exactly, it's universe where people can move rocks with their mind, space stations the size of planets can be built and giant worms live in asteroids, etc.

Just cos a dude has been sliced up with a sword made of light, doesn't mean he's definitively dead.

Blumf

"Han? But how? I saw you stabbed and fall to your death!"

"Turns out it was just a bad case of wind. I'm fine now"

monolith

There will be a Sherlock type flashback showing how Han and Ben just made it look like he died with some sleight of hand and a net. Twist: Ben has been a good guy the whole time!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: momatt on July 31, 2018, 03:29:34 PM
My Mum looks a little bit like Carrie Fisher, but not as dead.
We have a distinct advantage already.

If we fatten up Biggy a lot we could have him as Darth Vader at the end of Return of the Jedi.

mothman

There will however be fierce competition among CaBers for the role of Jek Porkins.

Shit Good Nose

I'm re-watching the prequels on ITV2 speed (just done 2, 3 is on next Sunday).  They're abysmal, of course, perhaps even worse than I remembered them, but it just hammers home that Last Jedi belongs RIGHT with the prequels.  Everything in LJ, bar the improvement in effects, just screams Star Wars prequel.

Replies From View

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 01, 2018, 04:37:39 PM
If we fatten up Biggy a lot we could have him as Darth Vader at the end of Return of the Jedi.

I think I saw that version.  Wasn't it called 'Rectum of the Jedi'?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Replies From View on August 01, 2018, 09:30:58 PM
I think I saw that version.  Wasn't it called 'Rectum of the Jedi'?

The Arse Awakens?

momatt

Quote from: mothman on August 01, 2018, 04:58:13 PM
There will however be fierce competition among CaBers for the role of Jek Porkins.

And Lobot.
Lobot needs to return!

madhair60

I really enjoyed TFA and TLJ and am really looking forward to this film bye

Replies From View

I wonder what a ninth Star War film could ever be like in the whole wide world.

Blumf

Quote from: Replies From View on August 02, 2018, 10:52:14 AM
I wonder what a ninth Star War film could ever be like in the whole wide world.

Brideshead Revisited

It's actually Star Wars 12.

Shaky

momatt

Replies From View

Is John Hurt one of the Star War films?

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 01, 2018, 09:15:12 PM
I'm re-watching the prequels on ITV2 speed (just done 2, 3 is on next Sunday).  They're abysmal, of course, perhaps even worse than I remembered them, but it just hammers home that Last Jedi belongs RIGHT with the prequels.  Everything in LJ, bar the improvement in effects, just screams Star Wars prequel.

I think both in and TFA share the obvious weaknesses of the prequels in terms of uncertain tone and lack of focus but I would say Lucas was just fundamentally lacking in ability as a director and script writer(rather than ideas man) after 20+ years away from both, his films did I'd say at least have some ambition to them albeit arguably misdirected towards the setting over the characters.

Hiring Abrams was just a massive error for me that seems to have unavoidably set the franchise on the path of nostalgia meta diversions rather than cinema that actually taking itself as seriously as the originals did. I'd hoped Johnson might somehow have ditched that style as Rogue One did but I think it ended up causing a lot of the problems in TLJ, basically someone else doing a bad impression of a hack. I strongly suspect after the massive success of TFA word came down from on high that this is what SW is from now on.

mothman

Quote from: Replies From View on August 03, 2018, 10:15:46 AM
Is John Hurt one of the Star War films?

Well that sent me off down a very silly rabbit hole...

One - TPM
Two - AotC
Three - RotS
Four - Solo
Five - R1
Six - ANH
Seven - TESB
Eight - RotJ
War - ?
Nine - TFA
Ten - TLJ
Clone Ten - Untitled Ep IX
Eleven - Rian J trilogy 1
Twelve - RJ2
Thirteen - RJ3

So what can we deduce from this? Absolutely nothing, I said it was silly.

buzby

Quote from: mothman on August 03, 2018, 11:45:07 AM
Well that sent me off down a very silly rabbit hole...

One - TPM
Two - AotC
Three - RotS
Four - Solo
Five - R1
Six - ANH
Seven - TESB
Eight - RotJ
War - ?
Nine - TFA
Ten - TLJ
Clone Ten - Untitled Ep IX
Eleven - Rian J trilogy 1
Twelve - RJ2
Thirteen - RJ3

So what can we deduce from this? Absolutely nothing, I said it was silly.
Don't forget the Game Of Thrones gang's trilogy too