Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:52:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vaguely-remembered stuff, part 2 (?)

Started by canadagoose, August 01, 2018, 12:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

It's been a while since this topic was on page 1, so it's time for a new one, I reckon.

Does anyone else remember an advert from the early-to-mid '90s which had a guy's face which turned 180 degrees, so his beard was his hair and vice-versa? I think it might have been for the ITC or something. An edit of SMBH's face in HS Art reminded me of it and I wondered if it was still going about. Used to think it was quite funny and weird at the same time.

Jockice

Pseudopath

The Chinheads advert for McEwans Lager immediately sprang to mind, but there isn't any beard action: https://youtu.be/wpF5AnWNhgg

You're not possibly mixing that up with this ITC advert, are you?

Isnt Anything

I think i remember what canadagoose and jockice are talking about but i think it might also have been a print ad. its neither of those youtubes, sorry.

my memory is saying the beard was ginger ?

canadagoose

Bumping this as there's something else someone is bound to be able to find quickly. It's from the mid '90s again. I remember being put off drinking milk for  good while because of a bumper (?) I saw on BBC2, which had a very short sequence with a slug in a milk bottle eating lettuce; I think a Victorian-style woman may have gasped when she saw it. I also suspect the slug was 2-shaped. The milk bottle was empty but I kept imagining there was a slug in the milk I drank after that, and it took me ages to get over it. I can't find it on YouTube, though. Does anyone else remember it?

Also, just saw those two replies from Pseudopath and Isnt Anything - Pseudopath, I remember that ITC advert too, but it wasn't the same one - and I don't think I've seen that Chinheads advert before! Isnt Anything, I think you're right about the beard colour, but it could just be the power of suggestion.

Uncle TechTip

Possibly one of the BBC two idents? It does sound familiar. Maybe the title sequence to the Late Show or something. When they recently retired the idents they played them in full and it's on YouTube, if it was it will be there.

canadagoose

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on December 10, 2018, 11:14:38 PM
Possibly one of the BBC two idents? It does sound familiar. Maybe the title sequence to the Late Show or something. When they recently retired the idents they played them in full and it's on YouTube, if it was it will be there.
I don't think it was an ident - I think it was one of the things they played between promotions for programmes. I swear there was another promotion afterwards, although it's an odd thing to remember. But I'll have a look anyway, thanks!

canadagoose

Quote from: Chriddof on December 12, 2018, 04:47:11 AM
It's this bumper from 1997, I'm pretty sure.
Blimey, I think you're right. I don't remember Vic and Bob in it, but that's got to be it. My memory is worse than I thought. Thanks!

The funniest thing is, it's not even a milk bottle, but I must have imagined it in my silly little head.

mothman

OK, might as well make use of this thread, then.

Young adult (I think) show from 1980 or 1981, which featured a young man trying to find out how/why his parents died. The how was pretty obvious as it featured as the title sequence every week: shot while trying to get across the Iron Curtain, by guards on the Hungarian or Czech border....

Quote from: mothman on December 12, 2018, 10:50:52 PM
OK, might as well make use of this thread, then.

Young adult (I think) show from 1980 or 1981, which featured a young man trying to find out how/why his parents died. The how was pretty obvious as it featured as the title sequence every week: shot while trying to get across the Iron Curtain, by guards on the Hungarian or Czech border....

Has to be Barriers. Always liked the eerie title sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFaTODjhkwI

canadagoose

Here's one I thought of when I was watching a video that featured this song: an advert for Oven Chips (or could it have been something else potatoey?) from ~1993, with "I Love Your Smile" by Shanice as the background music? Can't find it on YouTube at all. Does anyone else remember it? Wondering if I'm just imagining its existence.

mothman