Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:57:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shenmue 1 and 2 release

Started by bgmnts, August 02, 2018, 11:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Apparently Sega was developing a proper remaster/remake of Shenmue with new assets, but canned it in 2017. Footage here.

Timothy

That makes the fact that the recent remaster was so mediocre even more disappointing.
They should have just canceled it.

Bhazor

Well they fucked that. At this point Sega is challenging you to still like it. Putting in extra work to make it worse. I mean choosing not to use the upgraded models that were already available? That's an extra step just to fuck you.

NoSleep

I wonder if they bottled out of that version on account of it not being close to the original; afraid to lose nostalgia hunters as well as not attracting new players. Those images cry out to be placed in a complete remake (and the massive budget that would entail).

Ferris

A full-on remake would inevitably draw comparisons to GTA and possibly Yakuza, and if they don't have the budget to compete with the open-world of GTA or the silly knockabout humour of the Yakuza series (or indeed the original Shenmue series), they would not be positive comparisons. I see why you'd want to avoid that and go for straight up and down remaster rather than a remake.

Mister Six

Quote from: Bhazor on October 15, 2018, 05:43:02 PM
Well they fucked that. At this point Sega is challenging you to still like it. Putting in extra work to make it worse. I mean choosing not to use the upgraded models that were already available? That's an extra step just to fuck you.

Or they only made a small number of new models and textures as a proof of concept and decided they didn't have the manpower and money needed to redesign the whole of SM 1 and 2.

popcorn

Statement from Sega:

"SEGA and D3T indeed had started exploring the feasibility of a full HD remaster for Shenmue I & II. That being said, we soon realised that this was a project with its own set of challenges. Working with original animations and characters but meshing them with enhanced HD visuals gave us a game that we felt would not meet the standards that Shenmue fans expect and deserve. Rather than going ahead with a release that may disappoint fans, we chose to focus on bringing the classic game to PC and modern consoles, so that new players could experience Shenmue's original charm."

To be honest the remake looks a bit shite to me. Happier with the idea of them just brushing up the original thing and preserving it for the future - anything else short of a full ground-up remake would always result in a weird halfway house thing.