Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,352
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:05:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shenmue 1 and 2 release

Started by bgmnts, August 02, 2018, 11:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

NO SAILORS ON THE OLD PAGE.  PERHAPS SOMEONE ON THIS NEW PAGE WILL KNOW WHERE TO FIND THEM.

Quote from: Lemming on August 03, 2018, 05:06:39 AM
As long as we're talking about Shenmue annoyances, has anyone managed to get the full Fangmei's birthday event? The last time I played I completely neglected the main story to try and hit all the events necessary for the birthday and still somehow didn't get it.

Unlocking the duck race is even harder!

popcorn

The only bit I hate in Shenmue is the warehouse stealth infiltration sequence. It was so obviously chucked in as so many other games suddenly felt obliged to include shit stealth sequences after Metal Gear Solid came out - Ocarina of Time is another example. It has nothing to do with the rest of the game and is maddeningly annoying. At least you can skip it eventually.

madhair60

What you are describing sounds like one of the worst games ever.

popcorn

The other bit I hate, though loads of people love it for some reason, is when you, as Ryu, have to bumrape an unconscious child for an hour and forty-five minutes while Ryu  intones "paedos are good" over and over. It wouldn't have been so bad if they'd recorded more than one take of the line, instead of just repeating the same file over and over, paedos are good, paedos are good, paedos are good, Jesus it did my head in.

Bazooka

Quote from: madhair60 on August 03, 2018, 08:11:56 AM
What you are describing sounds like one of the worst games ever.

Never mind that, still waiting on why those Dreamcast games are all atrocious.

Lemming

Quote from: popcorn on August 03, 2018, 09:05:28 AM
The other bit I hate, though loads of people love it for some reason, is when you, as Ryu, have to bumrape an unconscious child for an hour and forty-five minutes while Ryu  intones "paedos are good" over and over. It wouldn't have been so bad if they'd recorded more than one take of the line, instead of just repeating the same file over and over, paedos are good, paedos are good, paedos are good, Jesus it did my head in.

Corey Marshall really gives that line all he's got in the English dub, at least.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on August 03, 2018, 09:05:28 AM

I learned everything I know about bumraping unconscious children, from Shenmue.  Best of all, the rozzers can never arrest me, as I'm the master of the QTE (Quick Time Escape).

Quote from: Bazooka on August 03, 2018, 09:10:33 AM
Never mind that, still waiting on why those Dreamcast games are all atrocious.

Yep.  I want a full run down of the list, madhair60.  Not that I expect one, as I doubt you've even played the vast majority of the games which I listed, you cad.

popcorn

I can't believe I just called Ryo "Ryu" twice. fucksake.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on August 03, 2018, 01:34:30 PM
I can't believe I just called Ryo "Ryu" twice. fucksake.

His name is Ryo and he dances on the sand.

Bazooka

Ren was my favourite character. Also the rooftop fight from Shenmue 2 is probably still the most cinematic event I have experienced in gaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VTylsu1bPE

I must have tried the QTE 11 times, but when you pull off that final blow it's something else.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 03, 2018, 09:35:05 AM
Yep.  I want a full run down of the list, madhair60.  Not that I expect one, as I doubt you've even played the vast majority of the games which I listed, you cad.

I've played literally all of them.

Spiteface

Lemming

Quote from: madhair60 on August 03, 2018, 10:41:55 PM

Yeah, well it also had a port of Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, so your anti-Dreamcast argument is blown to hell, mate

madhair60

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on August 03, 2018, 10:41:55 PM

So you've played all of the following on the Dreamcast (and by 'play', I don't mean 5 minutes on a mate's console)...

House of the Dead/Typing of the Dead
Metropolis Street Racer
Power Stone 2
Jet Set Radio
Samba De Amigo
(which it should be noted, would require you to buy the pricey maraca controllers to go with it.  Not exactly something one buys on a whim)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Rez
Space Channel 5
Ikaruga
Soul Caliber
Skies of Arcadia
Street Fighter III: Third Strike

...but somehow you've never played Shenmue?

I'm just gonna come out and say it; shenanigans!

madhair60

Looked shit. Didn't want to play it.

I can't believe you seriously listed Skies of Arcadia as being good.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

None of those games had terrible Batmobile sections.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on August 02, 2018, 03:31:11 PM
Those games are all shit. Happy to expand on why.

Please do.

samadriel

Quote from: madhair60 on August 03, 2018, 11:36:44 PM
Looked shit. Didn't want to play it.

I can't believe you seriously listed Skies of Arcadia as being good.

That's true, you should list it as being brilliant.

madhair60

I played "Skies of Arcadia Legends" on Gamecube and the encounter rate was insane. Like you can't cross a screen without getting into one or two fucking fights. And apparently this was actually reduced from the Dreamcast version, which is somehow worse. Reprehensible waste of time, effort and energy.

House of the Dead/Typing of the Dead - I assume you mean HOTD2. Not sure why you'd play this outside of the arcade, as it's basically all about that atmosphere. Far inferior to HOTD1 and 3 at any rate, much more of a coin-eater. The dialogue is classic, mind. As for Typing Of, well, it's the same thing but without the inherent fun of aiming and firing a light gun. Good for a chuckle, but you're not gonna actually commit time to it.

Metropolis Street Racer - I'll admit to very mild error, I thought this was something else. I don't believe I've played this but I looked it up on Youtube and it's visually pretty remarkable. It's on Dreamcast so it's almost certainly shit, but I'll concede I'm not familiar with this one.

Power Stone 2 - I loved Power Stone 1, a simple but chaotic versus game that almost defies genre because there's really very little else like it (besides perhaps Poy Poy on PS1, or Treasure's Rakugaki Showtime which is too obscure to be worth mentioning). When I played Power Stone 2 I felt like it enormously missed the point, layering tons of gimmicky shit over a very simple and very enjoyable formula. Me and mates played Power Stone all the time; we tried its sequel maybe twice and then gave the fuck up.

Jet Set Radio - I have tried and tried and tried to like this game. Everything about it aesthetically appeals to me. I love the look, I love the music. Actually playing it is fucking awful. It moves like shit, you float around in the air really unnaturally, and it's beholden to this Sega arcade time limit shit despite not actually being an arcade title. Spraying graffiti is a crap shoot on the fucking analog stick, landing on rails is a nightmare, it's just shit. And I really tried to like this one. I swear I did.

Samba De Amigo - Played this on the Wii, it's shit. It's just a stupid load of fucking arm-waving shit. Looked up DC version, literally exactly the same. I don't understand why anyone would bother playing this.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica - Played this on PS3. It's alright. Far too long. Won't ever play it again because essentially every single other game in the series is better.

Rez - Fascinating game visually. But it's basically the Sky Chase stuff from Sonic Adventure in a new skin. Gets boring before the end of the first level.

Space Channel 5 - Now this is shitty. Up, up, down, down, chu, chu, chu! Just buy a Simon.

Ikaruga - Never got on with this. I'm not even gonna pretend it's anything to do with the game, I just think it's too fucking hard for me. I got on alright with Radiant Silvergun, this defeats me by the end of stage 3.

Soul Caliber - You can win every single fight by picking Siegfried and mashing Y.

Street Fighter III: Third Strike - This seems to be one of those games aimed at people who only play games like this. I'll stick with KoF '98 or Marvel Vs Capcom 2, where I can pick from more than about 10 characters and actually have some fun.

Bazooka

I'll grant you that about Skies of Arcadia, the encounter rate is sadistic.

Lemming

Quote from: madhair60 on August 04, 2018, 10:54:37 AM
Space Channel 5 - Now this is shitty. Up, up, down, down, chu, chu, chu! Just buy a Simon.

Fuck off

I'll vaguely defend the rest of the criticisms on your list, even Jet Set Radio which I love, but Space Channel 5 is one of the most stylish things ever made.

How about Chu Chu Rocket? Dreamcast also has the best console release of Dead or Alive 2, which is more fun than Soul Calibur and Street Fighter IMO since it's more about just attacking and defending at the right time than learning 24,000 different multi-button combos that never come out properly.

Have you played Jet Set Radio Future? The controls and movement feel a lot better than the first one.

Bazooka

Its criminal there was never a third Jet Set game, but alas like most of Sega's big hitters they never have big sales outside of Japan, a lot of the games were never on PS2 either which is the console that killed the Dreamcast.

To be able to play Phantasy Star Online, online now would cause me to burst my pants with jizz.

bgmnts

Jet Set Radio Future is brilliant. I love the soundtrack.

canadagoose

Quote from: popcorn on August 03, 2018, 06:27:54 AM
The only bit I hate in Shenmue is the warehouse stealth infiltration sequence. It was so obviously chucked in as so many other games suddenly felt obliged to include shit stealth sequences after Metal Gear Solid came out - Ocarina of Time is another example. It has nothing to do with the rest of the game and is maddeningly annoying. At least you can skip it eventually.
That took me a ridiculous number of attempts. Must be the hardest bit of the game, except for the bit at the end where you fight tons of people.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on August 04, 2018, 10:54:37 AM
Metropolis Street Racer - I'll admit to very mild error, I thought this was something else. I don't believe I've played this but I looked it up on Youtube and it's visually pretty remarkable.

That isn't a "very minor error", considering that you claimed to have "literally played all of the games on the list".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: madhair60 on August 04, 2018, 10:54:37 AMIt's on Dreamcast so it's almost certainly shit...

Yes, because the quality of an individual release is completely irrelevant, as is the skill of the developer.  All that matters is what console the game was released for, right?  You were one of those kids who sided with either Sega or Nintendo, on the school playground, weren't you?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: madhair60 on August 04, 2018, 10:54:37 AMPower Stone 2 - I loved Power Stone 1...

Oh, so you loved Power Stone 1?  Now which console was that released on?  Oh, that's right; the Dreamcast.  So, once again; you're talking absolute bollocks...

Quote from: madhair60 on August 02, 2018, 11:29:31 AM
And it's on Dreamcast which has quite literally no good games that don't involve a taxi that's lost its mind.

quite literally

literally

Quote from: madhair60 on August 02, 2018, 11:29:31 AMSamba De Amigo - Played this on the Wii, it's shit. It's just a stupid load of fucking arm-waving shit. Looked up DC version, literally exactly the same. I don't understand why anyone would bother playing this.

No, the Wii version is not the same.  It's a notoriously bad port, with broken controls (as it uses the Wii remote, instead of the far more accurate maraca controllers of the Dreamcast version).  People who love the Dreamcast version, hate the Wii port.  You haven't played the Dreamcast version and therefore have absolute no right to dismiss it, much less claim that you've "literally played all of the games on that list [of Dreamcast games]".

Quote from: madhair60 on August 02, 2018, 11:29:31 AMResident Evil: Code Veronica - Played this on PS3. It's alright.

It's "alright" and yet you said...

Quote from: madhair60 on August 02, 2018, 03:31:11 PM
Those games are all shit.

Quote from: madhair60 on August 02, 2018, 03:31:11 PMSpace Channel 5 - Now this is shitty. Up, up, down, down, chu, chu, chu! Just buy a Simon.

"Why play a football videogame, just go outside and kick an actual ball".  By the way, there's a bit more to Space Channel 5 then there is to Simon.  You know, like the music, for example.  Also, the inventive visuals and bizarre story.  "Nah, mate.  Just fuck around with a Simon instead."

Kryton

I reckon I could beat Madhair's Siegfried with Kilik anytime.

QDRPHNC

Consignia

So... about that Shenmue port...

I saw the trailer for it, and while I loved it at the time the graphics really haven't stood up the test of time. I backed the Shenmue 3 kick starter, and will be looking forward to it. But I shan't be revisiting the first installments.