Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:46:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shenmue 1 and 2 release

Started by bgmnts, August 02, 2018, 11:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: madhair60 on August 02, 2018, 11:29:31 AM
Never played this. Someone told me you have to wait for buses in real time. And it's on Dreamcast which has quite literally no good games that don't involve a taxi that's lost its mind. Doesn't look good for Shenmue.

Dreamcast has amazing games. Are you high or what.

Ferris

Quote from: Kryton on August 04, 2018, 08:46:59 PM
I reckon I could beat Madhair's Siegfried with Kilik anytime.

I bet I could beat all of you jabronis with Mitsurugi or Kilik. Or Nightmare, and he's a knobhead so that's well embarrassing for you.

Lemming

I could play Siegried, mash Y, and still lose against any of you.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 04, 2018, 08:21:52 PM
That isn't a "very minor error", considering that you claimed to have "literally played all of the games on the list".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, because the quality of an individual release is completely irrelevant, as is the skill of the developer.  All that matters is what console the game was released for, right?  You were one of those kids who sided with either Sega or Nintendo, on the school playground, weren't you?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, so you loved Power Stone 1?  Now which console was that released on?  Oh, that's right; the Dreamcast.  So, once again; you're talking absolute bollocks...

No, the Wii version is not the same.  It's a notoriously bad port, with broken controls (as it uses the Wii remote, instead of the far more accurate maraca controllers of the Dreamcast version).  People who love the Dreamcast version, hate the Wii port.  You haven't played the Dreamcast version and therefore have absolute no right to dismiss it, much less claim that you've "literally played all of the games on that list [of Dreamcast games]".

It's "alright" and yet you said...

"Why play a football videogame, just go outside and kick an actual ball".  By the way, there's a bit more to Space Channel 5 then there is to Simon.  You know, like the music, for example.  Also, the inventive visuals and bizarre story.  "Nah, mate.  Just fuck around with a Simon instead."

Creasing.

Mister Six

Quote from: madhair60 on August 04, 2018, 10:54:37 AM
Power Stone 2 - I loved Power Stone 1, a simple but chaotic versus game that almost defies genre because there's really very little else like it (besides perhaps Poy Poy on PS1, or Treasure's Rakugaki Showtime which is too obscure to be worth mentioning). When I played Power Stone 2 I felt like it enormously missed the point, layering tons of gimmicky shit over a very simple and very enjoyable formula. Me and mates played Power Stone all the time; we tried its sequel maybe twice and then gave the fuck up.

I agree with this one. It would have been tons better if they'd ported over the battlegrounds from the original, or at least had about half of them be more traditional, less chaotic arenas. All the rolling boulders and massive drops and so on are fun the first few times but spoils the purity of the original game.

Oooh, I'd ruddy love for Power Stone to come back. And not just because I fancied the Arab girl.

madhair60

She got bare in her ending. Got properly bare.

Mister Six

Right, off for a YouTube wank. Night!

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on August 04, 2018, 11:09:05 PM
Creasing.

Keep stoking those flames, mate.  I'm not going to indulge your purposefully goading and knowingly disingenuous statements any longer.  Good day.

Johnny Textface

Madhair? More like Madgay amirite?

Bazooka

I assume  most of you have seen the never to be released Sega Saturn Shenmue footage? Master Chai looks even crazier.

Consignia

Quote from: Bazooka on August 05, 2018, 07:53:37 AM
I assume  most of you have seen the never to be released Sega Saturn Shenmue footage? Master Chain looks even crazier.

Anyone who had the original should have done, it was on the bonus disc supplied with European version. It looked pretty much like Virtua Fighter back then.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 05, 2018, 12:35:14 AM
Keep stoking those flames, mate.  I'm not going to indulge your purposefully goading and knowingly disingenuous statements any longer.  Good day.

The real reason you are furiously, world-shatteringly angry is because my criticisms are absolutely bulletproof.

"Stupid fucking arm-waving shit" should be on the box for Samba de Amigo, because it is clearly an accurate description.

"Whoops, I thought MSR was something else, my mistake", head fucking explodes. Astonishing.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Consignia on August 05, 2018, 09:32:11 AM
Anyone who had the original should have done, it was on the bonus disc supplied with European version. It looked pretty much like Virtua Fighter back then.

The Saturn version was set in the Virtua Fighter universe.  Once development switched to the Dreamcast, that connection was abondoned.

Quote from: madhair60 on August 05, 2018, 10:12:12 AM
The real reason you are furiously, world-shatteringly angry is because my criticisms are absolutely bulletproof.

"Stupid fucking arm-waving shit" should be on the box for Samba de Amigo, because it is clearly an accurate description.

"Whoops, I thought MSR was something else, my mistake", head fucking explodes. Astonishing.

I said good day, Sir.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Pack it in, madhair.

Only St. Eddie is allowed to make sweeping hyperbolic dismissals of stuff he doesn't like.

madhair60

I grew up with a Master System! A Sega Master System!! Do you think I don't know pain??

Consignia

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 05, 2018, 02:44:41 PM
The Saturn version was set in the Virtua Fighter universe.  Once development switched to the Dreamcast, that connection was abondoned.

Indeed, wasn't the main character supposed the main Virtua Fighter character? Akira, I think? The boss enemies were going to be VF staples as well.

popcorn

Quote from: Bazooka on August 04, 2018, 04:33:54 PM
To be able to play Phantasy Star Online, online now would cause me to burst my pants with jizz.

I've got bad news for you pants, because you can play it on PC on free fan servers.

I'm still chemically addicted to PSO. Haven't played it for years but I the reward parts of my brain light up when I watch footage of it. Everything about it was so chunky and fun and satisfying. I'd love an actual sequel, none of this Korean anime MMORPG shite they've been fobbing us off with for years.

popcorn

Do you reckon Shenmue 3's going to be 1/5, 2/5, or 3/5?

bgmnts

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 04, 2018, 10:03:06 PM
I bet I could beat all of you jabronis with Mitsurugi or Kilik. Or Nightmare, and he's a knobhead so that's well embarrassing for you.

I am fucking shit at the game but I reckon I could beat you all with Mitsurugi, as he is the Ryu/Ken/Liu Kang of Souls.

The amount of hours I spent trying to figure out how Voldo works... probably could have started a succesful company or learnt a language.

Ferris

Voldo doesn't work. Happy to have helped.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 05, 2018, 02:56:42 PM
Only St. Eddie is allowed to make sweeping hyperbolic dismissals of stuff he doesn't like.

I've never done that.  I've talked about objective failings of games/films but I've never argued against subjective appreciation.

Quote from: Consignia on August 05, 2018, 03:16:47 PM
Indeed, wasn't the main character supposed the main Virtua Fighter character? Akira, I think? The boss enemies were going to be VF staples as well.

I believe that's correct, yes.

Lemming

Did anyone play Project Justice? I remember laughing at some of the ridiculous shit that would happen mid-fight and the insane team-up moves, but it pissed me right the hell off. Getting my ass kicked left right and centre by the AI doing insane moves that the game won't let me replicate no matter how accurately I follow a move guide.

Quote from: popcorn on August 05, 2018, 04:13:26 PM
Do you reckon Shenmue 3's going to be 1/5, 2/5, or 3/5?

We still know almost nothing about it, but from the hilariously weird looking, completely off-model new Ryo model they showed in the release trailer, we're well on track for 5/5.

Bhazor

That trailer is incredible. It really does look like a demo reel for a cancelled game from 10 years ago. So long as the voice quality matches the visuals it'll be a 5/5 for me.

Kelvin

Were kickstarters/fans of the games generally expecting this to look like a reet fancy PS4 game? Because if so, they're in for a shock.

Edit: that's a bit unfair, as the game doesn't look bad, graphically. It just doesn't look current gen. I just wondered if there was a disparity between expectations for a high profile PS4 game, and the actual trailer.

Phil_A

Quote from: Kelvin on August 21, 2018, 02:07:59 PM
Were kickstarters/fans of the games generally expecting this to look like a reet fancy PS4 game? Because if so, they're in for a shock.

Edit: that's a bit unfair, as the game doesn't look bad, graphically. It just doesn't look current gen. I just wondered if there was a disparity between expectations for a high profile PS4 game, and the actual trailer.

Wonder if this is an actual port or running in a Dreamcast emulator shell? The new title graphics and UI suggests the former, but I'm no expert in these things.

My only quibble so far is I'm getting some mildly annoying screen-tearing and there doesn't seem to be a v-sync option.

Bhazor

popcorn

In the new Shenmue 3 trailer, Shenhua says "a morning star shall glisten".

I think you mean "glimmer", love. "Glisten" is for wet things. Regret backing this Kickstarter.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on August 22, 2018, 02:13:44 AM
In the new Shenmue 3 trailer, Shenhua says "a morning star shall glisten".

I think you mean "glimmer", love. "Glisten" is for wet things. Regret backing this Kickstarter.

I was already wavering with the distinct lack of peadofiles in any of the trailers for Shenmue 3 (I backed specifically to ensure that the Kickstarter stretch goal of 'peado frenzy' was met).  I'll say this right now; if any of the characters say "I could care less" as a way of indicating that they don't care at all, then I'm out.

Shenmue 3?  Shenpoo Pee more like.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Reading around the internet, it sounds like they've botched the port a bit. I'm not really keen on being a beta tester, so I reckon I'll wait six months for when it's cheap and fully patched up.