Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:46:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Threequel?

Started by thecuriousorange, August 02, 2018, 01:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The idea of a sequel to sequel used to be laughable (outside of James Bond).

They were, more often than not, straight-to-video rubbish.

But now that everything wants to be the next Star Wars, a trilogy is regularly planned (or at least hoped for) from the outset.

The Godfather and Robocop 3s were panned, while Lord of the Rings 3 won Best Picture at the Oscars.

Police Academy 3 gave the world "Zed".

Howj Begg

Exorcist 3, best film in the series.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The Madness of King George III

Garam

The first half of Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 02, 2018, 01:40:56 PM
The Godfather..3

Aside from Sofia Coppola (who is REALLY REALLY awful in it), taken alone 3 is still a brilliant American crime film.  Its problem is that it's the closing chapter after two bona fide five alarm masterpieces.  As it is, 3 is, in my opinion, a masterpiece in itself, albeit a mini one.

Quote from: Howj Begg on August 02, 2018, 01:58:06 PM

I don't think it's better than the first one, but it is a great fucking film (even its butchered theatrical form), and infinitely better than 2.  But then most things are better than 2.

A lot of people love Last Crusade.  I personally think it's the weakest of the trilogy (what do you mean there's a fourth one?  Nah, I think you must've dreamt that mate), but it's still a good film.

Madagascar 3 is not only better than both of its predecessors, it's a genuinely good film in its own right.

The Good The Bad and The Ugly?  I know it's a prequel, but...

Kane Jones

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 02, 2018, 02:06:55 PM
A lot of people love Last Crusade.  I personally think it's the weakest of the trilogy (what do you mean there's a fourth one?  Nah, I think you must've dreamt that mate), but it's still a good film.

Crusade is better than Temple but not as good as Raiders. All three are brilliant though. What a great trilogy of Indiana Jones films. All three of them. Those three films. The only three Indiana Jones films they made.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Kane Jones on August 02, 2018, 02:14:19 PM
Crusade is better than Temple but not as good as Raiders. All three are brilliant though. What a great trilogy of Indiana Jones films. All three of them. Those three films. The only three Indiana Jones films they made.

Three great films in that trilogy of films.  Just like Star Wars.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 02, 2018, 01:40:56 PM
Police Academy 3 gave the world "Zed".

He's in the second one as well, but as the villain, whereas in the third he's one of the good guys.

It worries me how much I know about Police Academy some days. Most days.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 02, 2018, 02:24:31 PM
He's in the second one as well, but as the villain, whereas in the third he's one of the good guys.

It worries me how much I know about Police Academy some days. Most days.

I think what makes the third one is him being partnered up with Sweetchuck.

Replies From View

Alien3 is good, but after the second film people wanted more multi-xenomorph gun-toting action so it was panned.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Replies From View on August 02, 2018, 02:35:46 PM
Alien3 is good, but after the second film people wanted more multi-xenomorph gun-toting action so it was panned.

Totally agree with that (again, another trilogy with just three films...).  I've always thought Alien3 was brilliant.  But then I've never really liked Aliens much, and it's horribly dated now, whilst Alien and 3 are still fresh as a daisy.

St_Eddie

I can't quite bring myself to say that it's better than the first film but it is a fantastic film, which deserves far more appreciation.

Quote from: Kane Jones on August 02, 2018, 02:14:19 PM

Everything that you just said is correct.

Shit Good Nose

Going all Hong Kong - Infernal Affairs 3 (I know it's more of a continuation of the same story rather than a sequel in the traditional sense, but even so...), Once Upon A Time In China 3 and Police Story 3.

Jaws 3 of course...

Replies From View

Toy Story 3 does all the right things.

Toy Story 4 will fuck it, of course, but you'll always have the first 3.

lipsink

Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors is pretty excellent as it features probably the most memorable kills in the entire franchise and it probably has some of Freddy's best quips.

It's the perfect point between Freddy still being scary and Freddy starting to be funny. It's definitely not as good as the original(1 has actually dated better) or 'New Nightmare' in my opinion) but it is fantastic.

Halloween: Season of the Witch is clearly the second best in the Halloween franchise too. (Not difficult, I know)

Yep, agreed. Toy Story 3 might even be my favourite out of that trilogy.

chveik

Sharktopus vs. Whalewolf

Brundle-Fly

Said it before but Psycho 3 (1986) is a hoot with a great 80s tastic soundtrack. Not as good as the first two but good on its own terms.

DukeDeMondo

Couple more threes that are weaker or less impressive or less coherent maybe than the ones and the twos that came before them, but which I still have a lot of time for*:

Spider-Man 3 - I've probably seen this more than I've seen either of the first two films, and although it isn't all that very "good" a lot of the time, and although it pretty much heralds the end of the first Golden Age if we're looking at it in the context of Kirsten Dunst's filmography (1999-2007, give or take the odd stinker), I still find it hugely enjoyable, all the more endearing for its messiness and its shortcomings. It's absolutely a scattershot sort of affair and it doesn't in any way feel like it's the Spider-Man 3 that Sam Raimi set out to make, or that anyone involved set out to make, but it's full of ideas - some good, some terrible, some a bit of both - and it's funny and it's sweet natured and "goofy," a man might say, and it's got some proper striking imagery in, and for something so obviously compromised it's got something properly idiosyncratic about it. Everything involving the Sandman is fantastic, but I also love the much-maligned stuff with Venom, so obviously a pain in the film's arse for the duration. It's fun - and not that wide of the mark - to imagine both Spider-Man and Spider-Man 3 working in tandem to get rid of him as soon as he shows up. I love that rather than turning Peter Parker into, I dunno, Drunk Superman or something like this when he goes a bit off, they decide to fashion from him some ridiculous hybrid beast equal parts Conor Oberst and Tony Manero for whatever reason. I love that it's got a bit of Kirsten Dunst singing in it, which we hadn't heard very much of since Get Over It.

Lots to love about it.

The other one that immediately comes to mind is Lady Vengeance. Again, it's not as good as the first two films in the series, but it comes awful close at times. There's something a bit anti-climatic about it, but the first hour or so is pretty fucking extraordinary altogether. I haven't seen it much since it came out, mind.

* I know, it's "Best Threequel," not "Threequels That Are Still Watchable Even Though There's A Bunch Of Stuff Wrong With Them," but whatever.

mothman

If you take the Kelvinverse films as separate to the rest of the Star Trek film series (which it is, really - in fact the series is really three series, TOS, TNG and Reboot), then there's no question Beyond is the best of the three.

Another great one is Rocky III.

A massive gear shift from the first two and it arguably turned the series into a silly wrestling cartoon.

But I loved it when I was young and nobody can take that away from me.

Rocky is a classic. Part II is a welcome extra helping. IV is a guilty pleasure. Parts V and VI are failed attempts to rediscover lost credibility.

Rocky III is just a fucking great movie and there's an argument to be made for it being the best one.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: mothman on August 02, 2018, 05:17:47 PM
If you take the Kelvinverse films as separate to the rest of the Star Trek film series (which it is, really - in fact the series is really three series, TOS, TNG and Reboot), then there's no question Beyond is the best of the three.

I'd agree with that, it's a shame that Pegg's a bit naff as Scotty but he (co)wrote a decent script and in general the film's really fun stuff.

I thought the most recent Avengers movie was fantastic, and the best in the series so far.

Edit: I'm not sure if it counts but Logan was easily the best of the three Wolverine movies.

Brundle-Fly

Iron Man 3 (2013) ? Preferred it to Iron Man 2 (2010)

And Men In Black 3 (2012) pisses on Men In Black 2(2002)

God, you don't realise how old these films are now (when you always have to include the release year like some weird Halliwell's OCD)

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 02, 2018, 07:37:57 PM
Iron Man 3 (2013) ? Preferred it to Iron Man 2 (2010)

I thought about that but I prefer the first to the third. Same applies with the Thor series, though I know a lot of people love the third the most.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 02, 2018, 07:40:56 PM
I thought about that but I prefer the first to the third. Same applies with the Thor series, though I know a lot of people love the third the most.

It's rare any sequel, threequel is better than the first.

Kryton

Pusher III is fairly watchable. Grisly but enjoyable.

Replies From View

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 02, 2018, 07:42:25 PM
It's rare any sequel, threequel is better than the first.

I even prefer the first Terminator film to Terminator 2, so there.

bgmnts

Is that the one with Brad Dourif? If so, big yes from me.

Also yeah Last Crusade and Star Wars Episode 3.

Replies From View

St_Eddie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 02, 2018, 03:54:20 PM
Said it before but Psycho 3 (1986) is a hoot with a great 80s tastic soundtrack. Not as good as the first two but good on its own terms.

Psycho III is a ludicrous film but it's also undeniably fun, in a cheesball kind of way.  As for the other films in the series, I know that I'm not alone in finding Psycho II to be superior to the first film (FUN FACT: One of the people whom shares my appraisal is Quentin Tarantino).  I also really like Psycho IV.  Most of the 'present day' stuff with the radio show is naff but I think that the flashback scenes (the bulk of the film) are excellent.  I thought that Normon's Mother was perfectly written and cast.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 02, 2018, 07:37:57 PM
...Men In Black 3 (2012) pisses on Men In Black 2(2002)

Yeah but I'd say that it gets some splashback in the process.

Quote from: bgmnts on August 02, 2018, 07:49:45 PM
Is that the one with Brad Dourif? If so, big yes from me.

Aye, it is.  He's great in it.

Bad Ambassador