Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:36:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Threequel?

Started by thecuriousorange, August 02, 2018, 01:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Blumf

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 07, 2018, 03:14:19 PM
Ok, Avengers 3. I've watched it several times now and that Thanos is a real jerk.

Give him a break, he's just trying to avert a universal Malthusian catastrophe. The boy's good at heart.

AnOrdinaryBoy

Surprised no one has mentioned Indian Jones and the Last Crusade. Sadly, it didn't turn out to be the last crusade.

magval

Quote from: AnOrdinaryBoy on August 17, 2018, 09:01:15 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned Indian Jones and the Last Crusade. Sadly, it didn't turn out to be the last crusade.

If you see "The Last" or "The Final" in the title of a sequel to a sequel, take it with a pinch of salt. Friday the 13th has done it twice and counting. (1984's Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter and 1993's Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday). Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare was anything but.

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 17, 2018, 02:00:40 PM
If you see "The Last" or "The Final" in the title of a sequel to a sequel, take it with a pinch of salt. Friday the 13th has done it twice and counting. (1984's Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter and 1993's Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday). Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare was anything but.

Europe's hit song 'The Final Countdown' repeats the titular lyric 16 times.

mothman

New! In the shops in time for Christmas: The Most Final Countdown In The World... Ever! Part II.

The Final Destination isn't even the final Final Destination.

AsparagusTrevor

But it is the final 'The'

Shaky

Quote from: AnOrdinaryBoy on August 17, 2018, 09:01:15 AM

It is technically the last crusade as the title refers to the quest for the Grail rather than Indy's adventures.

Anyway, Raiders is better.

If you count Bond actors as series restarts, their threequels are... mixed.

The Spy Who Loved Me is my favourite, followed by Goldfinger. Skyfall is half a great film and The World is Not Enough is a boring, dreary chore to get through.

Dr Rock

Goldeneye is the reboot (after the longest period with no Bond), and I think they achieved a lot.

Emma Raducanu

I went to see Before Midnight at the cinema and remember quite enjoying it at the time. Afterward, I felt less positive toward it because I was such a fan of Sunrise and Sunset. Both of those films had been dreamy and romantic, especially the first film. My overriding memory of Midnight in intervening years was of Julie Delpy's character going a bit bonkers, laying on the bed with her tits out and me feeling a total level of disconnect between the film and it's predecessors.

However, I watched Midnight at midnight the other midnight and fucking loved it. The dialogue is banging, the conversation and observations endless and beautiful. Even Jesse makes me laugh a few times.

Famous Mortimer

Revisit these excellent old opinions and also get mine - Hellraiser 3. Silly and knows it (I think).

zomgmouse

Jean Cocteau's Orphic Trilogy

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: lipsink on August 02, 2018, 03:12:19 PM
Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors is pretty excellent as it features probably the most memorable kills in the entire franchise and it probably has some of Freddy's best quips.

I saw a man on Facebook last night ranting on about how Freddy 3 is ludicrously overrated and Freddy 2 is actually the best sequel of the lot. Giving off about how it's alright for a while, the 3, but it goes to blazes when they start getting all X-Men on him, just goes to fucking pot.

I agree with him a bit, whoever he was. I watched both Freddy 3 and Freddy 2 fairly recently, hadn't seen either in donkeys, and 2 has aged extremely well.

Folk are waking up to it, too. Freddy 2. It's undergoing a proper reappraisal.

I still think Freddy 3's great, mind.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on September 11, 2019, 05:11:19 PM
I saw a man on Facebook last night ranting on about how Freddy 3 is ludicrously overrated and Freddy 2 is actually the best sequel of the lot. Giving off about how it's alright for a while, the 3, but it goes to blazes when they start getting all X-Men on him, just goes to fucking pot.

I agree with him a bit, whoever he was. I watched both Freddy 3 and Freddy 2 fairly recently, hadn't seen either in donkeys, and 2 has aged extremely well.

Folk are waking up to it, too. Freddy 2. It's undergoing a proper reappraisal.

I still think Freddy 3's great, mind.
I've always had a bit of a soft spot for 2 also, it was the first of the series that I watched (as a lid at a friend's house). It's quite a creepy film with a relatively stoic Freddy, before he began with the wise cracking, and there are some pretty nifty practical effects. It certainly has my favourite Freddy make-up design.

The only NOES film I can't stand is 5, it can't even manage to be 'so bad it's good' like 6.

bgmnts

Freddy 2 is really weird and boring.

thugler

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on August 03, 2018, 12:33:28 PM
I'd heard about it a while back but it always seemed like one of those projects that'll permanently be in development-hell.  I'd love for it to happen though, the wider universe that the Bounty Hunters inhabit is barely touched on in the movies & is ripe for exploring in episodic stories.  I really enjoyed the Bounty Hunter short film and how in-keeping with the old movies the production design was.

Critters 3 I can hardly ever remember much about, despite having seen it at least twice, except for the fact that it's Leo DiCaprio's first movie role & Charlie isn't used nearly enough.

My main problem with the fourth is the way they turned Ug into a villain with no real explanation.  He acts like a completely different character, only justifying it with one weak line ("things change") and it kinda retroactively puts a downer on the happy ending of 2 so I tend to pretend it doesn't exist.  Maybe it's due a rewatch in October when I do my annual 31-movie marathon, as 2AM Horror Channel schlock usually makes up the majority of my list anyway.

As for horror threequels in general, Army of Darkness is pretty damn good despite the huge change in setting/style/tone to the previous Evil Dead movies.  I wish more horror franchises would suddenly swerve into a Medieval setting.  I want to see Final Destination in 5th century Britain.

31 movie marathon! That's pretty extreme, how does that work? Must be close to 2 days of non stop viewing?

Josef K

Threes pages in and nobody's mentioned John Wick 3?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Josef K on September 12, 2019, 11:05:55 AM
Threes pages in and nobody's mentioned John Wick 3?

To be fair, two and 3 quarters of those pages are from before JW3 was released.

magval

Is Freddy 2 the one where he launches vertically either out of a pool or a bush, at a pool party?

Replies From View

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on September 12, 2019, 11:29:35 AM
To be fair, two and 3 quarters of those pages are from before JW3 was released.

Bizarrely to future readers, Jurassic World 3 hasn't even come out yet to us here present-dwellers.

*waves to the lucky future audiences of Jurassic World 3*

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: magval on September 12, 2019, 08:07:43 PM
Is Freddy 2 the one where he launches vertically either out of a pool or a bush, at a pool party?

He launches out of a bush in a pool.

phantom_power

Quote from: magval on September 12, 2019, 08:07:43 PM

There is definitely no bush in Freddy 2

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on September 11, 2019, 05:55:28 PM
The only NOES film I can't stand is 5, it can't even manage to be 'so bad it's good' like 6.

It has literally nothing to recommend it. It didn't come to my local video store when it was released for some reason so I only saw it when I got the complete box-set, but it really wasn't worth the wait. The most annoying thing is the lead character's sceptical mates who refuse to accept anything fishy is going on despite everything that's happened to the lead in the last couple of films. They don't even bother killing off the most obnoxious sceptic, which is just unforgivable. 6 is shite, but I have a soft spot for it as I managed to persuade my dad to accompany me (I was 13), so I got to see the craptastic 3-D finale in all it's glory at the cinema and then listen to my dad enthusiastically trashing the movie all the way home.

sevendaughters

Through the Olive Trees by Abbas Kiarostami.

Marvel seem to have a decent hit-rate with threequels; Civil War, Infinity War, & Ragnarok were all jolly good fun. Plenty of folks also enjoyed IM3 (though I'm not in their number).

In terms of films which haven't yet been mentioned, I've always enjoyed Day of the Dead & Army of Darkness.  Horror should always been taken with a dose of comedy.

Personally, my favourites would be Dark Knight Rises (which I maintain is a better sequel to Batman Begins - which is also the best of that trilogy) and War for the Planet of the Apes (the new POTA movies were the most enjoyable surprise at the cinema in the last couple of decades - they were all a cracking watch).

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on September 13, 2019, 11:10:44 AM
It has literally nothing to recommend it. It didn't come to my local video store when it was released for some reason so I only saw it when I got the complete box-set, but it really wasn't worth the wait. The most annoying thing is the lead character's sceptical mates who refuse to accept anything fishy is going on despite everything that's happened to the lead in the last couple of films. They don't even bother killing off the most obnoxious sceptic, which is just unforgivable. 6 is shite, but I have a soft spot for it as I managed to persuade my dad to accompany me (I was 13), so I got to see the craptastic 3-D finale in all it's glory at the cinema and then listen to my dad enthusiastically trashing the movie all the way home.
Springwood, or whatever the town is called, has a warzone-level teen mortality rate, but everyone's super-skeptical still. Plus, the woman from 4 and 5 survived both movies, but they didn't even bother killing her off at the beginning of part 6, not even off-screen.

Weird trivia: the director of part 6 has also done some Doctor Who (Rachel Talalay), and she turned down two scripts for part 6, one written by Peter Jackson, the other by Michael Almereyda, and decided to go with the guy who wrote part 5.

lipsink

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 16, 2019, 03:18:21 PM
Springwood, or whatever the town is called, has a warzone-level teen mortality rate, but everyone's super-skeptical still. Plus, the woman from 4 and 5 survived both movies, but they didn't even bother killing her off at the beginning of part 6, not even off-screen.

Weird trivia: the director of part 6 has also done some Doctor Who (Rachel Talalay), and she turned down two scripts for part 6, one written by Peter Jackson, the other by Michael Almereyda, and decided to go with the guy who wrote part 5.

Yep, she directed at least one Who masterpiece (Heaven Sent) and she also directed the Tank Girl movie. I'm pretty sure she was with the NoES franchise in some capacity from the beginning? Part 5 is just fucking rubbish. I've had a few NoES marathons and that's the one I never make it to the end of. I actually have a lot of love for 4 cos Alice is great in it. Plus it has the bonkers cockroach transformation scene and Freddy getting torn apart by all the souls at the end. I'd rank the original series: 1, NN, 3, 4, 2, 6, 5.