Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:00:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Threequel?

Started by thecuriousorange, August 02, 2018, 01:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: lipsink on September 16, 2019, 04:35:52 PM
I'd rank the original series: 1, NN, 3, 4, 2, 6, 5.

I'd agree with that. Before my last rewatch, I'd have ranked 3 above New Nightmare, but it's not quite as good as the two Craven-directed movies.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: lipsink on September 16, 2019, 04:35:52 PMI actually have a lot of love for 4 cos Alice is great in it. Plus it has the bonkers cockroach transformation scene and Freddy getting torn apart by all the souls at the end. I'd rank the original series: 1, NN, 3, 4, 2, 6, 5.

That's the best Freddy death scene in the whole series, the special effects are very creative. Part 5 has such a shite Freddy death/defeat, although all of Freddy's kills are bobbins in that film also.

bgmnts

Where does Freddy vs Jason fit into this?

phantom_power

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 16, 2019, 03:18:21 PM
Springwood, or whatever the town is called, has a warzone-level teen mortality rate, but everyone's super-skeptical still. Plus, the woman from 4 and 5 survived both movies, but they didn't even bother killing her off at the beginning of part 6, not even off-screen.

Weird trivia: the director of part 6 has also done some Doctor Who (Rachel Talalay), and she turned down two scripts for part 6, one written by Peter Jackson, the other by Michael Almereyda, and decided to go with the guy who wrote part 5.

Was it her or some New Line exec? I always get the feeling that the studio had a lot of control in how those films turned out

Replies From View

New Nightmare was that shite meta one wasn't it, just before Wes Craven decided the idea needed further mining in the Scream series.

META FICTION IS NOT CLEVER STOP THINKING IT IS

Replies From View

Quote from: bgmnts on September 16, 2019, 10:22:21 PM
Where does Freddy vs Jason fit into this?

It's a sequel to New Nightmare, which set up after the credits that the actors are neighbours.

lipsink

Quote from: Replies From View on September 17, 2019, 08:36:47 AM
It's a sequel to New Nightmare, which set up after the credits that the actors are neighbours.

Really? I had no idea. I may be misrembering it but doesn't Jason X (the space one) have an ending very similar to Jason's first scene in Freddy vs Jason? New Nightmare has a near perfect first hour of just absolute dread and a fantastic ending. The middle section it does drag a bit though. I wasn't really into the redesign of Freddy though but they do manage to make him scary again.

Freddy vs Jason is kinda fun but really not great at all. I'd probably rank it just ahead of 5 and 6. The 2010 reboot is the absolute pits and probably up there with 5 as the worst entry of the entire franchise.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: phantom_power on September 17, 2019, 08:09:18 AM
Was it her or some New Line exec? I always get the feeling that the studio had a lot of control in how those films turned out
Honestly, don't know - I read (wherever) that she turned them down rather than New Line, and given she had a co-writing credit on the script for 6, it bears some weight. But maybe not.

Piggyoioi

I'm gunna shoot ahead and say Avatar 1, 2 and 3 (I have high hopes) before 4 and 5 get greenlit.

Captain Z

Nobody mentioned Back To The Futur3 yet? Maybe I just have a soft spot for III as it seems to be the most repeated, but I think the only time I ever saw II it seemed quite poor in comparison.

bgmnts

Quote from: Replies From View on September 17, 2019, 08:36:47 AM

I meant in terms of quality, but I had no idea about that.

Piggyoioi

Quote from: Captain Z on September 18, 2019, 12:40:46 AM
Nobody mentioned Back To The Futur3 yet? Maybe I just have a soft spot for III as it seems to be the most repeated, but I think the only time I ever saw II it seemed quite poor in comparison.

Maybe its because I watched II before the first, but it's still my favourite. I love the tacky future aesthetic and how it ties in with the first film and the ending is great!

One thing about the age of Trump is how its changed my response to movie villains, they can be as one dimensional and narcisstic as they like, it actually seems more realistic than some cunt trying to have a motive above his own ego.