Author Topic: Yakuza series  (Read 20004 times)

Pink Gregory

• a perfect eggy
Re: Yakuza series
« Reply #180 on: September 27, 2021, 06:20:16 PM »
Finished Kiwami 2

Not much of a challenge towards the end, I had tougher fights in the arena (I had almost completely leveled up all of my stats though).  Didn't worry about unlocking all the battle/heat abilities by the end because I absolutely didn't need them, whereas in Kiwami 1 I felt obliged to do so because the last few Komaki moves were so good.

Quite liked the conclusion even though you don't get much of a feel for the events in the background; also the massive Omi invasion of Kamurocho is like 9 dudes hassling people you know.  Bit reliant on people explaining their motivations while pointing guns at other people and REVELATIONS!

Certainly enamoured with the Dragon engine; even just angling the camera up a bit over the river through Sotenbori looks incredible, and I'm playing on an original Xbox One.

Overall still loved it, I've got so much time for Kiryu being a rock-hard furrow-browed stoic in the main story and then a put-upon socially inept goof as soon as someone asks him something in the street.

Pink Gregory

• a perfect eggy
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2021, 07:00:09 PM »
Onto Yakuza 3 now.

Love big hench PS3 textures Kiryu and his wide walk, howled at Haruka waving 'BYE BYE' at Sayama, somewhat concerned that I can't pause cutscenes

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2021, 08:05:29 PM »
Just bought every single fucking game bring it on. Going to get right back in it head first.

Kiwami 1 lets go.

« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2021, 08:34:12 PM »
The thing I'm noticing is going through these in "storyline" order, is that you need to brace yourself for the step backwards going from Kiwami 2 to 3. Back an entire generation.

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Feeling like Lemon Ken
« Reply #184 on: October 04, 2021, 03:39:13 AM »
Just bought every single fucking game bring it on. Going to get right back in it head first.

Kiwami 1 lets go.

Start with 0 if you haven't already played it. It does a lot of work on some important relationships in Kiwami 1 that get curiously short shrift, even though they're at the centre of the story (I guess because the writers were less experienced then, or the PS2 had limited space for content or something).

Just got the property management minigame in 0 and it's really just mobile-phone-game-tier "hold button to level up thing, come back when timer is up to collect money" but seeing all the weird friendships I've had pay off with impromptu bodyguard appearances in fights and such is a lot of fun.

Pink Gregory

• a perfect eggy
« Reply #185 on: October 04, 2021, 08:53:21 AM »
The thing I'm noticing is going through these in "storyline" order, is that you need to brace yourself for the step backwards going from Kiwami 2 to 3. Back an entire generation.

I know he's supposed to be 40 odd but Kiryu's skin texture in 3 remastered is really quite something.

Pink Gregory

• a perfect eggy
« Reply #186 on: October 04, 2021, 08:54:15 AM »

Kiwami 1 lets go.

If you can't find Majima he's hiding in a giant traffic cone.  Heed these words

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Feeling like Lemon Ken
« Reply #187 on: October 04, 2021, 03:58:08 PM »
Was very confused to see the giant traffic cone still there 20 years earlier in Yakuza 0.

Pink Gregory

• a perfect eggy
« Reply #188 on: October 04, 2021, 07:09:48 PM »
Haruka's mad sped up walk cycle in this is really, really funny

« Reply #189 on: October 05, 2021, 12:14:16 AM »
There's something very funny about running around as Haruka in Yakuza 5 and bumping into people and knocking them over.

Tags: