Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:31:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

X Com Series

Started by gmoney, August 03, 2018, 11:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmoney

I've just started a game of Enemy Within, and it's fucking great. Gonna have another bash at X-Com 2 afterwards.

Tell me your tales from the series. What soldiers have you fallen in love with (always snipers)?

ASFTSN

In Enemy Unknown, training up a crack-shot female sniper who was with me from the beginning of the game 1, rising triumphantly from mission to mission, oodles of kills under her belt, never panicked, seemingly unstoppable.

Build my first psychic training facility and find out she and most of my other best soldiers have the psychic capabilities of room-temperature houmous.

Ethereals terror missions start soon after. Cry.

ASFTSN

INDIA HAVE WITHDRAWN THEIR FUNDING.

Fair play to be honest lads, you're all the way over there from my only bases and the aliens aren't gonna shoot themselves down so I'm not surprised you're pissed off.

Barry Admin

Snipers with squadsight and the floating ability towards the end of Enemy Unknown = God Mode.

Definitely one of the greatest gaming series' of all time, I just wish my attention span could more adequately manage the long campaigns. I have been wanting to get back to these games recently, I always absolutely love them.

bgmnts

Maybe I am shit at strategy but fuck me it's hard. The deck is stacked against you, Vegas style.

Especially when you've spent half the game building a team of 7 or 8 hard bastards and they all get massacred and bang that's pretty much game over as enemies only get tougher so new recruits are like lambs to the slaughter.

Fun as hell though.

The Culture Bunker

I hugely enjoyed Enemy Unknown/Within and XCOM2, especially for the tension they allowed to build up. There's no timer, so if you're like me (a bit sad), you can spend minutes* sweating over a single move that you fear can make or break a mission.

Not sure when the next one is out, but it can't come quick enough. What improvements could they make?

*several times, I'd think "I need to sleep on this".

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on August 03, 2018, 09:15:58 PM
Not sure when the next one is out, but it can't come quick enough. What improvements could they make?

Pricey DLC, loot crates, aggressive DRM.  The sky's the limit...

Mobius

Is War Of The Chosen worth it, if you've played the fuck out of XCOM 2 already? It's on special on the PS4.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mobius on August 04, 2018, 01:04:11 PM
Is War Of The Chosen worth it, if you've played the fuck out of XCOM 2 already? It's on special on the PS4.
I enjoyed it, speaking as a big fan. I think I only paid a tenner or £15 for it, which I found decent value... it adds some fairly original new elements, as well has seemingly half the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

New Jack

It's fucking ace, I love me some Xcom. It refines the right things and takes some concepts I think mods on the PC established, such as relationships between soldiers. Its got much more narrative power now there's actual adversaries.

Hard as fuck like, but that's XCOM. It's basically Xcom 2.5. Better than DLC. More like a really excellent mission pack of yore

St_Eddie

Consignia

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 14, 2018, 11:06:12 PM
A neat mod for XCOM 2 has been released, which adds the Red Dwarf crew into the game.

Trailer here.

I'm sure some of Craig Charles's lines are from Robot Wars there.

It does remind of the late 90's when you could voice packs for all British Comedies for Worms 2. All badly recorded files. And I loved every minute.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Consignia on August 14, 2018, 11:19:05 PM
I'm sure some of Craig Charles's lines are from Robot Wars there.

There's definitely some lines that aren't from Red Dwarf.  They're either taken from Robot Wars or Takeshi's Castle.

Quote from: Consignia on August 14, 2018, 11:19:05 PMIt does remind of the late 90's when you could voice packs for all British Comedies for Worms 2. All badly recorded files. And I loved every minute.

I'm not sure about Worms 2 but the best part about Worms Armageddon was that the images for the game were stored in the game's folder as bitmap images.  So it was a doddle to alter, for example, the title screen.  Being a teenager, naturally I opened up MS Paint and drew a big spliff into the mouth of the title screen's worm.

New Jack

I want a mod that turns the enemies into Half Life 2 enemies

Combine for the standard guards
Strider for the sectopod
Headcrabs instead of those burrowing underground cunts

It makes itself! Well, not literally, cause we don't have it

Kryton

The % system pisses me off. Crack sniper. 98% shot accuracy = miss.

Shitty alien across the map. 1% accuracy with a handgun = direct hit and death.

I honestly believe the stats and figures aren't accurately displayed and are semi-weighted RNG rather than what is displayed in the %.... I remember reading somewhere that this was the case.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: bgmnts on August 15, 2018, 08:28:46 AM
That's fucking great!

Rimmer's "Marrrrvellous!" made me crack up fair play.

There was a game I've been trying to think of that used that same Rimmer sample, I'm sure it was on the Amiga but every time you completed a level you would get a "Marrrrvellous".

MojoJojo

I just want to say that Shoot-Em-Up Construction Kit on the Amiga had a "Your move, sucker!" sample from Queeg.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kryton on August 15, 2018, 04:01:50 AM
The % system pisses me off. Crack sniper. 98% shot accuracy = miss.

Shitty alien across the map. 1% accuracy with a handgun = direct hit and death.

I honestly believe the stats and figures aren't accurately displayed and are semi-weighted RNG rather than what is displayed in the %.... I remember reading somewhere that this was the case.

The same bullshit happens in the first two Fallout games.  They're fantastic games but the percentage nonsense pisses me off.

New Jack

I share your rage, but I end up talking myself down :

Well, New Jack, you're thinking 98% =100%. And that game would be shit, making every shot.

But I've missed four shots of 85% plus in a row. I could have kicked a kitten into a desk fan at that point.

Glory be the PC versions that have mods that change it. A bit. The RNG seems evil. But then you pull off a hopeful shot and it's glorious.

I wonder if I'd enjoy it more if the % was hidden entirely? Wouldn't work completely, I wouldn't have the expectation but I'd still be wondering and some shots are weird (you can shoot through walls!)

The community can be cunts about it. Oh, that's XCOM! May as well put Get Gud..
Although it is the XCOM experience.

Mobius

Thanks for the reply lads I am going to download this off the store when I get paid later on today as Mafia 3 is one of the most fucking boring games ever.