Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:20:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Albums that get on your tits... Then bewitch you!

Started by Absorb the anus burn, August 03, 2018, 01:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absorb the anus burn

As the thread title says....

Tell me about the albums that annoy you, then slowly become earworms.... Like this one!

Ann Steel AKA Roberto Cacciapaglia's "The Ann Steel Album" How to sum this one up? A Diane Keaton character (Annie Hall era) off her meds and having a crack at Giorgio Moroder synth pop?...... Sue Pollard fronting Buggles?....Annoying as fuck on first listen, but then the magic happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdhdXbKI-OE&t=15s&frags=pl%2Cwn

I've become faintly obsessed with this one.

if you have a suggestion, try to share a web link and image.

sevendaughters

love that album. have done since I first heard 'My Time' and then went in on it hard.

I used to be one of those borderline-dodgy bastards who would say Morrissey-esque toss like "I hate reggae" and then I finally heard Super Ape by Lee 'Scratch' Perry and realised that all the things I was hoping to get out of electronica (creepiness, rhythm, soulfulness) I could find in dub. I'd heard it as a teenager and just didn't get it. Hearing it at 30 was like having new ears.

Dread Lion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj6SEc93_2I

riotinlagos

Found out about this artist after it was suggested online that he was the inspiration behind Ariel Pink's odd vocal delivery on Santa's In The Closet.

At first I found it funny and a bit annoying but it's grown on me. The mystery surrounding his identity also adds to the intrigue.

The album - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFSg8xpQN2w

Clownbaby

Took a while to get into Odelay by Beck. It was the first Beck album I got, I didn't care about it for ages, decided to get other Beck albums ca use they were cheap, fell in love with Beck, went back to Odelay and loved it

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on August 03, 2018, 01:47:54 PM
Ann Steel AKA Roberto Cacciapaglia's "The Ann Steel Album"

I never heard of this album before but it's right up my street! Thanks for the recommendation.

Sin Agog

Italo-Disco.  Having Soul 'n' Rocksteady as the first music I got into of my own accord meant I was never that much of a Rockist scumbag, but I did occasionally make ign'ant statements about whole genres I knew precious little about.  Like I always used to scat about how reggae lost its way once it went digital and dropped the final e, but that's shite, Dancehall's got some lovely stuff (like 14 your old White Mice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Yz_1yz3Iw).  Guess it's those parochial fear of the other instincts kicking in- the less you know about something, the easier it is to hate it.  Anyway, a long time ago I used to think Italo-Disco was chintzy musical balsa wood, but that's either totally untrue, or just not a bad thing at all- it's produced so many brilliant songs (and a few good long-players I guess, like Fear's Easy Living and that Tantra album with Hills of Khatmandu).  Circus by Bagarre is great, but the track Lemonsweet, which is about dropping acid in a club, is so melodic and giddy.  Wouldn't be surprised if they were an influence on some of that Bubblegum Bass/PC Music stuff.

purlieu

I've been an Orbital fan almost as long as I've been a music fan, but I always hated Snivilisation. I found it practically unlistenable at first, and for the longest time only particularly liked two or three tracks on it.
And then about five or six years ago I gave it a listen and realised that it's a fucking masterpiece and it's been my favourite Orbital album ever since. I have no idea how or why this happened.

Brundle-Fly

Bought this thirty years ago because I was told by this bloke in a record shop they were a bit like Madness. Hated it at first as I wasn't so much into this sort of music. Too exotic.

Three listens later?  Who's that bloke sniffing around in the world section upstairs at HMV in Oxford Street with a basket full of LPs and CDs?  Brilliant live act too and yes, I recognised their Madnessy flavour by then.

FULL ALBUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEJ83XxWoME

famethrowa

Quote from: riotinlagos on August 03, 2018, 02:44:43 PM
Found out about this artist after it was suggested online that he was the inspiration behind Ariel Pink's odd vocal delivery on Santa's In The Closet.

At first I found it funny and a bit annoying but it's grown on me. The mystery surrounding his identity also adds to the intrigue.

Well I certainly learned a new story tonight. Many thanks

Quote from: riotinlagos on August 03, 2018, 02:44:43 PM

Jist briefly listening to this and it sounds incredibly like the lead vampire singer of Sopor Aeternus and the Ensemble of Shadows. I reckon maybe it is.

Dr Syntax Head

Loveless. Listen 1. My cd is broken. Listen 2. It's just noise. Listen 3. It's the most beautiful noise i ever heard. Listen 4. Everything i thought i knew about guitar was wrong and this is right. Listen 1 million. Sounds like listen 3 every time.

grassbath

The Age of Adz by Sufjan Stevens. Long, melodramatic songs with lots of busy 'look-I've-gone-electronic-now' synths and drum machines. Glad I persevered - his best album, by my reckoning.

popcorn

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on August 04, 2018, 10:15:25 PM
Loveless. Listen 1. My cd is broken. Listen 2. It's just noise. Listen 3. It's the most beautiful noise i ever heard. Listen 4. Everything i thought i knew about guitar was wrong and this is right. Listen 1 million. Sounds like listen 3 every time.

When I was a teenager my best mate had Loveless on CD and I picked it up and was like "what's that?" and he winced like, yeah it's amazing, but it's not for beginners, it's difficult. And at some point later I bought it myself out of curiosity and found it instantly appealing, accessible, poppy even. I didn't get the "controversy". And then a few years ago I put it on in my house and both my housemates (both museos) said it was the worst music they had ever heard in their life. I think it's one of those genetic things like only some people can smell asaparagus wee or some people find coriander impossibly disgusting.

popcorn

I think I'm finally starting to understand Graceland. Whenever I'd listened to it before I thought it was a lot of boring melodies, annoying happy-clappy guitar lines, farty fretless bass. There was something cartoonish and garish about it. Then suddenly one day I heard the opening to The Boy in the Bubble again and thought, hang on a second, this is incredibly catchy and cool.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: popcorn on August 05, 2018, 03:51:16 AM
When I was a teenager my best mate had Loveless on CD and I picked it up and was like "what's that?"

with me, it was 'you made me realise' that made me realise. I'd been a fan of the cocteau twins & J&MC, & MBV struck me as the perfect synthesis of the two, but with some other-wordly shit going on too, like a modern twist on the robert johnson myth... how do shields & butcher get their guitars to do that? I used to go drinking with deb goodge in the late 90s, when she was driving a cab, but somehow it never occurred to me to gush about her former occupation.