Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:04:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The League Of gentlemen Live

Started by Clownbaby, August 03, 2018, 07:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

Lewman

Sorry for the delay in writing a report. Yeah the show is brilliant. Usual first half where the league are in tuxedos and second half in character. Started with an announcement of them being late and then came on stage as legz a kimbo. Second half was something else though! It assumed you'd watched the last specials as many of the sketches were extensions from it. For example what happened to tubs in the mine. Lots of new material in the second half. Don't want to spoil any more though!

Waited in the foyer afterwards and they all came down to meet and greet people. So if you get the chance to see them live definitely try hanging out there after. They were so friendly and i genuinely felt they wanted to talk and engage with fans. Mark and Jeremy especially so.

Get a bloody ticket if you haven't!

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: magval on August 11, 2018, 10:19:38 PM
Class. Where'd you see that?

There's a tweet in that link

"I believe it's one thousand and twelve-ty (seriously!). But the individual gate folds will be issued in black vinyl once the box has gone."

St_Eddie

Quote from: Lewman on August 11, 2018, 11:27:02 PM
...Waited in the foyer afterwards and they all came down to meet and greet people. So if you get the chance to see them live definitely try hanging out there after. They were so friendly and i genuinely felt they wanted to talk and engage with fans. Mark and Jeremy especially so.

Ooohhh, you can't be getting my hopes up like that!  Now I've got all twelvety of my fingers and toes crossed that I'll be posting a photo of myself with the boys, come Monday evening.

Clownbaby

If I saw them in person I'd probably go all shy.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Clownbaby on August 12, 2018, 12:04:25 PM
If I saw them in person in probably go all shy.

Hence my plan to get good and proper drunk.  What could possibly go wrong?

(famous last words)

St_Eddie

Starts in an hour, can't wait! Whoop whoop! Will report back later.

St_Eddie

Well, I didn't get to meet the boys, so that was a total waste of time.  Nah, I'm joking.  It was a grand old time.  A mix of the classics and some new special stuff.  I loved it.

St_Eddie

Sat in the second row, by the way.  Could almost feel the spit from Pemberton.  It was my birthday present from my Dad and a bleeding good present it was too.

magval

I've bought tix for Belfast on Saturday on the strength of yousuns' recommendations. It's in (half of) an arena, which I reckon will be too big, but ought to be deadly regardless.

Clownbaby

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 13, 2018, 11:27:16 PM
Well, I didn't get to meet the boys, so that was a total waste of time.  Nah, I'm joking.  It was a grand old time.  A mix of the classics and some new special stuff.  I loved it.

Sweet, proper looking forward to this now. Less than 2 weeks!

typeforty

Any chance of some spoiler-tagged details of the second half for those of us who aren't going to be able to make the tour..?

garbed_attic

It was lovely seeing them perform in person, but I felt tonight's show was perhaps **a little low** energy and perfunctory... but, with respects to the lads, it was Ipswich. Reece has moved back into the older, more sinister and less pantomime mode of performing as Papa Lazarou, which is great. Steve was given a lot of really fun material in the second half, which I felt was stronger than the first. Good to see Mark's genuinely moving Bingo caller monologue. Not sure about the Les McQueen song and the suggestion of Yewtree-style inappropriate behaviour therein... unnecessarily spoiled the character a bit for me. Overall though it was a lot of fun. Sillier than the mini-series perhaps, but the live shows have generally tended to be a little bit broader than the TV series.

Clownbaby

Quote from: gout_pony on August 16, 2018, 12:22:10 AM
Reece has moved back into the older, more sinister and less pantomime mode of performing as Papa Lazarou, which is great.

Yaaas

St_Eddie

Quote from: gout_pony on August 16, 2018, 12:22:10 AM
It was lovely seeing them perform in person, but I felt tonight's show was perhaps **a little low** energy and perfunctory... but, with respects to the lads, it was Ipswich...

I didn't get that impression at all when I saw them.  It must be the doing (or should that be undoing) of Ipswich!

garbed_attic

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 16, 2018, 11:21:18 PM
I didn't get that impression at all when I saw them.  It must be the doing (or should that be undoing) of Ipswich!

In fairness, the 'Switch does tend to have that effect...

Malcy

Anyone have any experience with GetMeIn, ticketmasters resale site? Considering getting a ticket for this through that site by its says delivery price TBC and I don't want to book something that might not arrive in time as well. £23 is the cheapest ticket which concerns me as well.

Gulftastic

Is there a Legz Akimbo skit, and if there is, what's the name and theme of the play they perform?

magval

Quote from: Malcy on August 20, 2018, 01:30:40 AM
Anyone have any experience with GetMeIn, ticketmasters resale site? Considering getting a ticket for this through that site by its says delivery price TBC and I don't want to book something that might not arrive in time as well. £23 is the cheapest ticket which concerns me as well.

Only as a seller. As such, once the sale was made I had to post it by next-day courier, else I'd not have got paid. If you've got a bit of time seems a safe enough bet, but just be warned that the seller has the tix, not GetMeIn.

Quote from: Gulftastic on August 20, 2018, 05:30:06 PM
Is there a Legz Akimbo skit, and if there is, what's the name and theme of the play they perform?

Yes. There's two, actually. One is from the original show and the other is about Olly himself.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Malcy on August 20, 2018, 01:30:40 AM

Don't go near Getmein it's fucking shite, it's being closed down soon because it's a massive inconvenience to everyone. I got some QOTSA tickets on there and they arrived the day before the event with an email saying they weren't even valid tickets. I sent them back and it took 3 months for them to pay me back. When I phoned them to complain I'm pretty sure the number on their site was a dud one because it wouldn't even call. I had to tackle Ticketmaster instead and get them to sort it out.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: magval on August 14, 2018, 08:33:02 AM
It's in (half of) an arena, which I reckon will be too big

I saw it in the 3 Arena in Dublin. Formerly the O2 which used to be the Point Depot. It was about a third full which was weird, this means about 3,000 people were there in a 13,000 seat capacity venue. A management fuck up? An overestimation of their popularity? They should have done 2 dates in Vicar Street but hindsight and all that. The seats at the very side had dust covers on. The stage was blocked off at the sides like a curtain border so you couldn't see some of it from the seats I got, which wasn't a problem as there were so many free seats, I just moved more central.

I had 2 mates with me and one of them ruined it a bit, he kept moaning that the first half was done before which I had to agree with. I went in with high expectations and the first half was basically a carbon copy of their live show from 2001, like no changes whatsoever which surprised me.

It picked up a bit in the second half but a combination of sky high expectations, a way to big and empty venue and an extremely negative friend with me combined to put a bit of a dampener on it. Still it was nice to see the League in a live setting to add to my spotting of Reece Shearsmith and Jeremy Dyson on Henry Street in Dublin in 2005.

Oh and it was raining all day as well.

Malcy

Decided against getting a ticket for this. Can't afford it and don't trust GetMeIn enough to try save a few quid! Going to put what I would have spent on this towards a better seat for Early Doors live instead

buzby

They were on great form in Southport last night. Pemberton is great at working an audience - the Herr Lipp bit in the second half probably got the biggest laughs of the night (aside from Tubbs' response to & "Tamara March" in her 'dream sequence')

Clownbaby

Just got back from he show and it was fuckin mint as predicted, got a photo with Steve and Mark as well. AS IF. WHAT. They were very quiet and unassuming, and I don't think I made a stupid shit of myself. Literally just said "can I please have a photo" and "thank you nice to meet you" Reece was there as well doing photos but he got sick of it and disappeared so I've just got a candid distant photo of him scratching his face haha

Facebook app is being an absolute cock so I can't get the pics on here at the moment

neveragain

Would anyone mind if I put the running order up?

pancreas

The Sunderland gig was to a full house. Very rowdy audience. They were loving it, shouting out, imitating the characters.

Standing ovation.

I mean ... I did enjoy it, but it did occur to me how little sophistication there is in any of this—it's low brow stuff. Not a bad thing, per se; lots of cocks and balls and bumming jokes. But their really great achievement in my view—beyond the individual sketches, and even characters—is the aesthetic. This insular rural village humming with disfigured, unsavoury life; open any door, peel back any manhole cover ... and it's just teeming with ghastliness. For me, that's the thing that lingers.

neveragain

Avert thine eyes, the spoiler-wary!

The League of Gentlemen Live Again!
Running Order

ACT ONE
Legz Akimbo - PervSwerve
Go Johnny Go Go Go Go
Attachments Dating Agency
Mick McNamara - Tours of Terror
Pam Doove - Greenwood's Orange Juice
Fun Time! (1981 Game Show)
Pop - Al's Date
Mr. Foot - Blind Man
Charlie & Stella (with Go Johnny)
Legz Akimbo II - One Man Two Plimsolls

ACT TWO
Tubbs & Edward Musical I
Toddy - Bingo Monologue
Geoff, Mike, Brian
Bernice Vid Link I
Herr Lipp - German Lesson
Mr Chinnery - Panda
Bernice Vid Link II
The Death of Pauline
Val Denton and Papa Lazarou
Bernice Vid Link III
Les McQueen - A Simple Man
Dentons - Piss Shit Vomit
Bernice Responds
Tubbs & Edward II (Tory MP/Hilary Briss)

JarrowMonkey

Quote from: pancreas on August 25, 2018, 11:46:27 PM
The Sunderland gig was to a full house. Very rowdy audience. They were loving it, shouting out, imitating the characters.

Standing ovation.

I mean ... I did enjoy it, but it did occur to me how little sophistication there is in any of this—it's low brow stuff. Not a bad thing, per se; lots of cocks and balls and bumming jokes. But their really great achievement in my view—beyond the individual sketches, and even characters—is the aesthetic. This insular rural village humming with disfigured, unsavoury life; open any door, peel back any manhole cover ... and it's just teeming with ghastliness. For me, that's the thing that lingers.

I went last night and having only watched the three episodes broadcast last Christmas, I thought it was fantastic, only downside was after deciding to go back to the boozer and missing the metro back into Newcastle, was having the pay thirty five quid for a fucking uber

St_Eddie

I finally got around to uploading my photo of the boys taking their bow, at the end of the show...

Former

How long does the show last?

Thinking of going to see them in Brighton /if/ I can get a train home without having to leave before the encore, shuffling apologetically past a bunch of prodding knees.