Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:12:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The League Of gentlemen Live

Started by Clownbaby, August 03, 2018, 07:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Former on August 28, 2018, 12:51:50 AM
How long does the show last?

Thinking of going to see them in Brighton /if/ I can get a train home without having to leave before the encore, shuffling apologetically past a bunch of prodding knees.

I think it was around 2 hours, all told.  The intermission may push it closer to 2 and a half hours though.  I'm not entirely sure, in all honesty.  Many a wine was had that night.

Malcy

Anyone going to the Glasgow show tonight? I'll be at the BBC across the road and was considering going over after to see if they appear in the foyer.

Malcy

Got out of the Beeb earlier than I expected. Walked past the venue jealous I wasn't inside. Walked a few metres away and got handed a ticket to Kevin Hart! Got past security, almost inside and my ticket was scanned and an alarm went off. The owners friend had been chucked out for being rowdy. Bit lousy that they wouldn't let me use it.

Thought my luck was in so doubled back to the SEC and said, the League are half way through, any chance of getting in with no ticket? Weren't having it but always worth asking.

Hope they do another tour one day!

neveragain

Quote from: gout_pony on August 16, 2018, 12:22:10 AM
little low energy and perfunctory... Not sure about the Les McQueen song and the suggestion of Yewtree-style inappropriate behaviour therein... unnecessarily spoiled the character a bit for me.

Oh no, Les just had it off with a groupie and she was shown onscreen (by J. Dyson esq.) as being middle-aged and Bristolian so I see no problem there.

As for perfunctory I can't agree with that either. I do agree that, in comparison, with the Local Show, it was less of a theatrical event (as I still believe that every sketch in that show was its own flawless mini-play, and the plot of Edward and Tubbs returning to earth - helped by audio fillers in the second act, not preserved on DVD, including a trip in Babs' taxi - was just perfect) but it was still wonderful and packed with new - or unseen-for-a-while in the case of the game show skit - material.

Someone above said their mate thought the first act was the same as the first act of Local Show. It has the same structure (as does the second act - big Pauline saga in the middle, Edward Tubbs book-ending etc.) but there was only one first-act sketch that's shared by both shows, involving a card game - which does return later in the act and again was better in the first show. More thoughts on Act One: opened beautifully, but really kicked into gear with Pam Doove. I love the Dating Agency sketch but didn't think it came off. Everything else was gold.

Performances outstanding throughout, as you would imagine. They really are top class actors. Gatiss' gift with pathos is a joy to behold as are Steve's ability to transform between characters (Pop to Mr Foot is a remarkable gear-change) and Reece's frantic physicality. Some odd blocking at times but that's me being really picky. Oh, and maybe a plothole involving Pauline but it's easy to forgive. Geoff sketch a bit weak perhaps. The Chinnery sketch was an absolute classic, and one of three examples of fine stage magic within the night. Dentons hysterical. And the programme yet again full of brilliant material. I may screenshot it one day and save Sexton a job.

Wet Blanket

Are they emerging into the foyer after the show every night? I'm seeing them tomorrow and will hang around if they are.

magval

Quote from: neveragain on August 29, 2018, 12:50:48 PM
Geoff sketch a bit weak perhaps. And the programme yet again full of brilliant material.

The "I won the mums" banner and "my eye! You cunt! my eye!" from the programme were my two biggest laughs of the night.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Malcy on August 28, 2018, 05:31:43 PM
Anyone going to the Glasgow show tonight? I'll be at the BBC across the road and was considering going over after to see if they appear in the foyer.

There's one more Glasgow one today.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on August 29, 2018, 02:07:53 PM
Are they emerging into the foyer after the show every night? I'm seeing them tomorrow and will hang around if they are.

I'm seeing the show tonight in Glasgow! We should say hi!

holyzombiejesus

Oh no, Les just had it off with a groupie and she was shown onscreen (by J. Dyson esq.) as being middle-aged and Bristolian so I see no problem there

I don't understand; how did JD show it onscreen? Also, what is his involvement with the live show? When I saw a photo of him at the early shows, I presumed he was just going along for rewrites.

magval

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 29, 2018, 05:47:48 PM
I don't understand; how did JD show it onscreen? Also, what is his involvement with the live show? When I saw a photo of him at the early shows, I presumed he was just going along for rewrites.

The photograph is of him.

Isn't he the director for these shows?

neveragain

I would assume he directs.
And during Les' song a video behind him featured Dyson as Maureen.

zomgmouse

This was fun but they again lost me with Herr Lipp. I really don't see the point of that character. The Bernice stuff wasn't handled that sensitively either. Otherwise this was grand.

St_Eddie

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 01, 2018, 01:12:20 PM
This was fun but they again lost me with Herr Lipp. I really don't see the point of that character...

Gays are funny?  Ho ho.  He he.  Ha ha..?

Vampires are quite funny though.  I don't care if that makes me vampophobic.  They are silly.  With their fangs and shit.

Wet Blanket

I think Herr Lipp's schtick is more about the smutty innuendo than 'gays are funny'. When I saw the show last Thursday though he was let down by a bit of a lumpen audience member who mispronounced the German so much that the double entendres didn't work.

Overall I thought it was great, although the Bernice segments seemed more genuinely reactionary than I'd probably like to admit.

Clownbaby

I thought the Bernice bit was hilarious myself and was fine with the silliness of the Herr Lipp bit as well. Not everything has to have a motive so I just saw the Bernice bit as the character being the usual bitter woman she always has been, just about modern things.

neveragain

The line that ended Bernice's bit was shocking and hilarious, but surely ironic too.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Wet Blanket on September 02, 2018, 05:05:48 PM
I think Herr Lipp's schtick is more about the smutty innuendo than 'gays are funny'...

I was merely being facetious.  I take no umbrage with the character.

Clownbaby

Forgot to put up my photos didn't I

I think I overdid the grinning eh

zomgmouse

Quote from: Wet Blanket on September 02, 2018, 05:05:48 PM
I think Herr Lipp's schtick is more about the smutty innuendo than 'gays are funny'.

Smutty innuendo is one thing, but he literally drugs and sexually abuses boys. That's the character.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Clownbaby on September 03, 2018, 10:59:25 AM
Forgot to put up my photos didn't I...

I knew I should have waited another 10 minutes in the foyer.  Now everyone and their aunt has pics with the boys, except for me.

*grumble*

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 04, 2018, 12:08:41 AM
Smutty innuendo is one thing, but he literally drugs and sexually abuses boys. That's the character.

Well, he also turns his victims into vampires, to be fair.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: neveragain on September 02, 2018, 06:02:39 PM
The line that ended Bernice's bit was shocking and hilarious, but surely ironic too.

Can you post/ spoiler it please?

garbed_attic

Oh no, Les just had it off with a groupie and she was shown onscreen (by J. Dyson esq.) as being middle-aged and Bristolian so I see no problem there.

As for perfunctory I can't agree with that either. I do agree that, in comparison, with the Local Show, it was less of a theatrical event (as I still believe that every sketch in that show was its own flawless mini-play, and the plot of Edward and Tubbs returning to earth - helped by audio fillers in the second act, not preserved on DVD, including a trip in Babs' taxi - was just perfect) but it was still wonderful and packed with new - or unseen-for-a-while in the case of the game show skit - material.

Nah, I meant the "photos of girls who were technically minors" line.

And when I say, perfunctory, I mean specifically the Ipswich show. The second half was still ace, but the first half felt low-energy to me. It also seems to have been one of the only shows in which the gents didn't stick around afterwards for autographs, despite lots of people waiting at the back entrance (which is fair enough - I think it's pretty amazing that they do it at all, frankly!)

It was still really enjoyable - I just suspect it was one of the weaker shows... but Ipswich would drain the energy and good-will of even the greatest of men!

neveragain

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 04, 2018, 10:29:48 AM
Can you post/ spoiler it please?

It was something like:
Next week we'll be arguing about who should go in what toilet while Western civilisation crumbles around us.
May not seem like much to you - I don't know what flicks your switch - but it hit home with (and generally unsettled) some people close to me.

Also, I wish I'd spoilered my Running Order on the last page but couldn't on my phone.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Just been to the Leeds gig.

Funny of course, but as someone who has watched it all religiously anyway, I felt like it was a partial waste of time. The new material was thin on the ground and a lot of that was stagey and a bit pants. Uninspired songs/surreal pratting about.

That said I think it works well as a standalone, ie. if someone hasn't seen them before this is a great introduction.

Further comments -

- The piss/shit/cum Denton sketch didn't really work as well as you'd think
- Herr Lipp's bit was vaguely tedious actually but no more than a billion other camp/innuendo material
- Bernice's stuff was in character, but I do think it was the wrong vehicle if they were intending to make serious points.
- The Theresa May bit was a crowd pleaser, but I spotted a few stony/shame faces around.
- Also I agree Pemberton was the best live performer. A natural.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 04, 2018, 12:08:41 AM

Problem?

Malcy

garbed_attic

Really hope it has a commentary! I bloody love their commentaries!

mjwilson

Fifteen pounds for a programme, fuck

hummingofevil

I enjoyed it tonight but much like the recent TV shows once you get past the excitement of being in their company, the fact everything is written and performed superbly I kind of agree that it all felt a bit.. I can't think of the right word. Soulless is harsh, lacking suggests it was not good (which it was), but something stopped me loving it. 

I think the problem was that they didn't commit fully to a new plot that tied everything together do it all felt a bit... modular? Its not lazy as it's great to see these sketches live on stage again but in end I felt that it was a nice, rather than mind blowing experience.

I agree with many of points made previously about some of the awkwardness of the tone but appreciate that it's a tough one for them when you could easily have people calling them out for overstepping the line AND a load of gammons trying to claim the non-PC stuff for themselves. The Bernice stuff did feel a bit awkward but as mentioned it is delivered in character by a man dragged up on stage so there is a specific context as well as a broader point. The payoff is well worth it mind.

neveragain

Quote from: mjwilson on September 22, 2018, 08:21:23 PM
Fifteen pounds for a programme, fuck

That was my first reaction too but it's a programme absolutely packed with new material (and quite sizeable too). It's not like ten pages of glossy photos.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I'd say it's the best and most substantial programme of the three live shows and in many ways, feels like a continuation of the Local Book for Local people.

The written material feels like the truest continuations of the characters, whereas the live performances are always a lot broader and slightly less specific. Managed to get my programme signed by all three gents, too.

For me, the show was tonally similar to something like the Partridge autobiography, in that it was a look back over their characters histories, augmenting familiar material with new references and details and attempting to tie it all together.

I get that they're all different people now, and sketches don't seem to be where their interests lie any longer, so the fact that they still managed to produce a fun celebration of the universe they collectively created, is something special.