Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:33:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vic Berger

Started by Artemis, August 04, 2018, 05:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

Is anyone else here a fan of Vic Berger? He's essentially a video editor, most commonly found via Super Deluxe, who manipulates existing footage to create funny new videos. He has a real knack for timing and sound editing, producing some genuinely funny creations.

My favourites are the stuff he does with Jim Bakker (televangelist): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDvZr5J5y1Q

Also, his Trump videos are very good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd7v9Ff29jM

Definitely probably the most cleverest of his kind.

marquis_de_sad

Vic Berger is brilliant. I find myself saying catchphrases from his videos all the time. The first one I ever saw was this Paula Deen video, which is a masterpiece. Also, the Migos/Cardi B video is endlessly re-watchable.

the

So why are these meant to be good?

the

Lol he repeats the bit where the woman gesticulates, but with a digital zoom.

I just don't get why these are meant to be humourous. So they're not re-edited to be a convincing retelling of events, but are instead done like a trailer or other editorial package, with dramatic music etc. So why is that funny? Are they meant to be camp or something?

They're just noisy and jerky unreality with no humour added. Form over substance.

QDRPHNC

I thought they were very funny.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: the on August 04, 2018, 08:55:34 PM
Lol he repeats the bit where the woman gesticulates, but with a digital zoom.

I just don't get why these are meant to be humourous. So they're not re-edited to be a convincing retelling of events, but are instead done like a trailer or other editorial package, with dramatic music etc. So why is that funny? Are they meant to be camp or something?

They're just noisy and jerky unreality with no humour added. Form over substance.

It's supposed to convey that Steve Harvey is genuinely depressed hosting a game show where contestants say rude things to huge laughter and applause, over and over again, trapped in this nightmare. It's not that hard to figure out, to be honest.

Beagle 2

I agree with the, it's poor when you put it next to something with an actual design and some thought put into it like Cassetteboy. Tossed off.

the

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 04, 2018, 09:28:19 PMIt's supposed to convey that Steve Harvey is genuinely depressed hosting a game show where contestants say rude things to huge laughter and applause, over and over again, trapped in this nightmare. It's not that hard to figure out, to be honest.

Yes I know that's the central idea (in fact it's the only clip out of the ones on theis page that seems to have a central idea). My problem is the way these are put together is so charmless and unfunny. Digital zooms and out-of-place music, random bits repeated. It's not done with any verve or reason, it just shouts 'look I've edited this'. I don't know, maybe I have to be American to find this sort of blaring stuff funny.

I've seen stuff like the Fesh Pince Of Blair, which has the same sort of OTT editing style, but is quite funny and creative in places as a demented form of wanton longform stupidity. These Vic Berger things just seem to think that edits = jokes.

*airhorn* *dramatic music* *digital zoom*

Old Nehamkin

1 vote for Berger being really good here. The two special field reports he did from the Republican and Democrat national conventions in 2016 are well worth checking out. I wish he'd do more front-of-camera stuff like that, actually. He's a very endearing personality and I think he could easily front a series if a network gave him a chance.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Beagle 2 on August 04, 2018, 09:55:51 PM
I agree with the, it's poor when you put it next to something with an actual design and some thought put into it like Cassetteboy. Tossed off.

Berger does all of the music to his videos, if that helps. The idea that his videos are tossed off - with all their careful repetition and pacing - is ridiculous.

Phil_A

Just watched "The Best Of Ted Cruz" again, holy shit. The Jay Leno bit had me absolutely howling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcEiDY5qBbg

Cuellar

I am a big fan.

His one with Bill Crosby and Jimmy Kimmell(?) Fallon (who cares) is hilarious.

In fact most of his Fallon ones are good. Like the Tom Cruise and Fallon singing 'You've Lost That Loving Feeling'. edit: Maybe that was a vine... can't remember now.

up_the_hampipe

Wanted to bump this to draw attention to Vic's 21 minute Jimmy Fallon compilation, it's an intense journey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0MZSmfEeTY

BlodwynPig

QDRPHNC

You've seen his work before, Blodwyn, pretty sure it was him doing the editing for the On Cinema Oscar Specials.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 24, 2020, 10:10:00 PM
You've seen his work before, Blodwyn, pretty sure it was him doing the editing for the On Cinema Oscar Specials.

OK, I knew his name and had seen something he had done, but didn't think his stuff was right up my street until I saw this.

The great Vic Berger IV also appears every week on Tim Heidecker's Office Hours show on YouTube, for which there is an active thread going. (I also recommend his unproduced TV pilot, which is up on YouTube, for which there is a thread I made that sank to the bottom of the ocean.)

A master of drops as well as video editing.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 24, 2020, 11:26:16 PM
The great Vic Berger IV also appears every week on Tim Heidecker's Office Hours show on YouTube, for which there is an active thread going. (I also recommend his unproduced TV pilot, which is up on YouTube, for which there is a thread I made that sank to the bottom of the ocean.)

A master of drops as well as video editing.

The Office Hours was too disorientating for an oldhead. If I hear an airhorn in lieu of comedy, I quit. I guess its about getting into their rhythm. Too many references to things I know nothing about. It's like watching Limmy wittering on about gaming tropes. I don't want to have train as a Fortnite or Minecraft nerd to laugh!!!!

BlodwynPig

I implore everyone to watch this one - especially around 2:46 onwards - "The Mike Huckabee show" and the interview with his daughter Sarah Sanders (Trump's spokesperson).

hyuk hyuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnuG-A2H_Jg

BlodwynPig

Gold from start to finish. Absolute deconstruction of every schmuck in the video - in their own words/actions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGyPnN3hyrQ

Cuellar

Hahaha christ that outfit he's wearing at 4:30. Is that a bit? Is he doing a bit?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on July 30, 2020, 07:46:24 PM
Hahaha christ that outfit he's wearing at 4:30. Is that a bit? Is he doing a bit?

I've seen that clip before and thought "Thin Neckbeard: The Early days"

Cuellar

https://youtu.be/jGyPnN3hyrQ?t=971

And this 'pastor' is clearly Tim Heidecker in heavy makeup

Cuellar

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 30, 2020, 07:52:08 PM
I've seen that clip before and thought "Thin Neckbeard: The Early days"

How old is that clip? He's not the ur-Neckbeard is he? That's not where it all comes from?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on July 30, 2020, 08:02:00 PM
How old is that clip? He's not the ur-Neckbeard is he? That's not where it all comes from?

2011 is the earliest I can trace it. but fuck me, any validity he had is totally gone with that piece by Berger. Another pseudo-intellectual of cheerios chewers gets it in the neck

wooders1978

Sorry but office hours was loads better when it was just Doug and Tim

Vic is a bit on the nose and the whole thing us too drop heavy now