Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:30:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Aphex Twin - Collapse EP

Started by momatt, August 06, 2018, 09:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Neewww page

I agree with purlieu. I just fort it was a gud song tbh. Imagine if it was a crap song. That would be disappointing wouldn't it? But this isn't, so it wasn't.

Also I heard it played out in Houston when I saw him so hearing it like this gave me a big ol' buzzo and the video is the fuckin badger's nadgers mate

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: hedgehog90 on August 07, 2018, 10:24:40 AM
I'm an aphex twin latecomer. It's Cheetah what did it for me, it unlocked the rest of his discography to me, then I dove in and got my brain adjusted.
Really looking forward to this.

Nice to see thats how someone got into Aphex Twin, I bought that EP when it came out and was really bored with most of it the first few listens. Just realised i can download it again from Bleep which is handy as it's overdue another listen I guess...

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 08, 2018, 03:57:32 PM
hardly anyone gets to redefine music twice in a lifetime.

Talking Heads only managed it once.

New Jack

Quote from: imitationleather on August 08, 2018, 01:33:24 PM
Out of my high quality phone speaker I was pretty unimpressed by the tune. It sounds like it could have been done by one of the hundreds of copycat producers who now ape his style. The start was good, but when it went all bassy in the middle I got bored and nearly turned it off. Only the video kept me going.

Great video, though. And I'm sure it sounds thumping out of a proper rig, like. When I saw him in Barcelona last year he was playing some pretty crazy stuff, so hopefully that will end up on this EP.

Sup my Primavera-going Aphex Twin-seeing buddy. That set was mental, Setlist.fm seems to list it all as Soundcloud stuff by other artists?
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/aphex-twin/2017/parc-del-forum-barcelona-spain-53e71b65.html
Try the little videos on the right of each song, it does ring a bell, I was absolutely stoned out of my mind as I joined one of those cannabis clubs obviously!

-

I like it, but it's not markedly different. I dunno, I thought that about Syro and the rare equipment info got my interest right the fuck up again. I'm annoying I know. I don't expect anything amazing, he's sort of on his own in terms of how I judge his music which I'm sure would elate him. But it is ace. Looking forward to more, as ever!

Johnny Textface

A mate is a massive Kraftwerk fan. Prior to their comeback (in 2000 was it?) he couldn't wait to "hear what the future sounds like now".

He thought that they would innovate like they did in the 70's. Ended up sounded like Kraftwerk.

imitationleather

Quote from: Johnny Textface on August 10, 2018, 08:27:43 PM
A mate is a massive Kraftwerk fan. Prior to their comeback (in 2000 was it?) he couldn't wait to "hear what the future sounds like now".

He thought that they would innovate like they did in the 70's. Ended up sounded like Kraftwerk.

It was in 2003. I remember being crushingly disappointed at the time, but I think the album has improved a lot with the anticipation removed.

But yeah, there is the expectation of some artists that they should be constantly reinventing the wheel. See also all those years before the last My Bloody Valentine album came out. I guess Aphex Twin has built that up more than most because of the range of genres he covered during the '90s.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I quite liked the track, but it did need the video to elevate it a touch.

This is like hoping Twin Peaks return was going to be like the original Twin Peaks, but RDJ has such a good ear for harmony and melodies I want to hear more of that and less of the same type of beat arrangements.

Twed

Read this today and it really annoyed me:

New Jack

that fella is posting from opposite land!

monkfromhavana

"Invented 303 acid"?? I guess Phuture must have got hold of one of his tunes in 1985.

the

Who'd have thought that a comment on the internet could be so misinformed

VelourSpirit

It's out now. Love it, abundance is easily a new all time favourite.

JohnnyCouncil

Yeah agreed. This is his strongest release since he came back. Also, shiny as fuck, which is nice.

Captain Z

I ummed and ahhed and eventually decided not to preorder the deluxe version when it was first announced, then suddenly regretted it a couple of days ago. I even went into HMV this morning who didn't have it, but have just managed to find a store online with a few copies left.

Cuntbeaks

Been listening today and it's definitely a return to form. 1st 44 is particularly good, wonderfully controlled sub bass with plenty of adept sonic flourishes.

Head Gardener

New Jack

What a weird interview. He's open and honest and it's almost normal
Cheers

Queneau

I came to post the same thing. It's a great interview. Seems like a top bloke. I like him even more now.

mobias

I'd like to know where exactly he lives in Scotland. I've heard it mention he now lives in a small village somewhere just outside Glasgow.

DJ Bob Hoskins

I was lucky enough to see him play in Berlin last week. This was the 4th time I've seen him perform, and each time has been as brilliant as the last but in a completely different way. He's just fucking amazing, full stop.

Head Gardener

purlieu

Although I'm happy to see his early analogue era representing the bulk of that list, I'm a bit disappointed that there are only two tracks from this century on the list.

jobotic

I would have 28 Organ on that list from all that stuff he put out online.

grassbath

That Vordhosbn, Mt St Michel and especially Ziggomatic 17 don't get a look in just goes to show how criminally misunderstood and underappreciated Drukqs still is.

Glad to see Stone in Focus on there though. One of the best ambient tracks ever made.

the

I am a journalist. I have put a list into an arbitrary order. Please click my link and then share and argue about it on social media. This means something.

It goes without saying that everyone favours different eras/moods of his output.

I'm with you on Drukqs grassbath. I often put on a playlist of it without the acoustic stuff and get a pure hit of the tracker action.

colinzeal

The title track of this keeps playing pretty much every hour on my radio station, despite me setting no repeats. It must love that track, i know i do. Really wanted him to win at the Brits to serve a kicking to all the horribly bland crap in the charts.

buttgammon

Quote from: the on March 04, 2019, 12:06:59 PM
I am a journalist. I have put a list into an arbitrary order. Please click my link and then share and argue about it on social media. This means something.

It goes without saying that everyone favours different eras/moods of his output.

I'm with you on Drukqs grassbath. I often put on a playlist of it without the acoustic stuff and get a pure hit of the tracker action.

Although my absolute favourite Aphex period is the SAW albums, I have a big soft spot for Drukqs too. Like you, I sometimes play it without the acoustic tracks but on the other hand, I also have a playlist that's only the piano stuff. They're both brilliant in their own right, I just think it's the messy and confusing combination of the two different styles on the album that puts some people off.

ToneLa

I'm going through the soundcloud dump! Anybody have any favourites?

Really like Night mail 1!

purlieu

Quote from: buttgammon on March 04, 2019, 08:47:32 PM
Although my absolute favourite Aphex period is the SAW albums, I have a big soft spot for Drukqs too. Like you, I sometimes play it without the acoustic tracks but on the other hand, I also have a playlist that's only the piano stuff. They're both brilliant in their own right, I just think it's the messy and confusing combination of the two different styles on the album that puts some people off.
Mm, it really should have been Drukqs followed by Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments Pt 1 EP.

the

Quote from: ToneLa on March 04, 2019, 09:14:06 PMI'm going through the soundcloud dump! Anybody have any favourites?

Really like Night mail 1!

Nightmail 1 went on to get a mastered proper release on the excellent Orphans EP.