Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:08:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting

Started by Twit 2, August 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 19, 2020, 02:19:45 PM
Shame the swans weren't around to BREAK THEIR ARMS.

I'll send in those big hardcase Embra swan parents. And a few bastard hard Embra cuntbeaks. You wouldn't mess with them, they'd throw those Budweiser bottles right back at you.

ha...disowned by my sister and family now when I got pissed at her defending their right to enjoy a summer's day.

paruses

You were deffo in the right and also braver than me what with them all having knives these days and being cheeky fuckers.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: paruses on July 19, 2020, 06:54:03 PM
You were deffo in the right and also braver than me what with them all having knives these days and being cheeky fuckers.

thank you... the ice cold clasp of outsidersism is kept at bay for another day.

bgmnts

Yeah fair play on you, it takes guts. I'd love to make all these littering cunts choke on their own fucking foul refuse.

Dex Sawash

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on July 19, 2020, 07:15:39 PM
Yeah fair play on you, it takes guts. I'd love to make all these littering cunts choke on their own fucking foul refuse.

when I can travel, I'm coming down to Cwmbran with some pasta and beer to cook you a wild garlic dinner.

BlodwynPig

bgmnts

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 19, 2020, 09:28:07 PM
when I can travel, I'm coming down to Cwmbran with some pasta and beer to cook you a wild garlic dinner and happy slapping litterers.

Yes!

Dex Sawash

Bug that landed on my neighbo(u)r

bgmnts

Can someone identify this plant? It's a shrub flower and the inside of the petals is an orange colour. The aroma is very pleasant!

Unsure if its Lavender or Buddleja.

king_tubby

paruses

Quote from: bgmnts on July 22, 2020, 08:38:07 PM

Can someone identify this plant? It's a shrub flower and the inside of the petals is an orange colour. The aroma is very pleasant!

Unsure if its Lavender or Buddleja.

Lavender coloured buddleja assuming that the scale isn't well out of wack and that's a macro photo.

Buddleja coloured buddleja I suppose.

paruses

Saw loads of cinnebar caterpillars on plants earlier.

You can click on the different types of Buddleja - in colour and height groups - at the Longstock Buddleja Collection website.

It also has incomplete rankings from the members of the Wessex British Clematis Society Group of the most scented Buddleja from a visit in 2017. So if you can identify the colour match you could see if it is one of the most strongly scented.

https://www.buddlejacollection.com/collections/buddleja-davidii/
https://www.buddlejacollection.com/colours-heights/
https://www.buddlejacollection.com/cultivation/Scent/

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 21, 2020, 09:44:55 PM
Bug that landed on my neighbo(u)r

Looks like an elephant hawk moth caterpillar so presumably some red neck American cousin of that species :)

Twonty Gostelow

The buddleja we planted in the back garden a few years ago is currently smelling lovely, especially in the early evening and just after nightfall. Popular with bees and butterflies in the day and moths in the evening. I'm looking out for hummingbird hawk moths on it right now.
Managed to photograph one last August, but they don't hang around long.

paruses

Always forget we have hummingbird hawk moths in the UK. They just seem too exotic.

Cerys

I've got a buddleia flowering in a large tub outside, and if I don't get hummingbird hawk moths on it I'm going to be very disappointed.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cerys on July 23, 2020, 02:47:20 AM
I've got a buddleia flowering in a large tub outside, and if I don't get hummingbird hawk moths on it I'm going to be very disappointed.

some bad news

Cerys

The first time I saw one was in Aber, so nyer.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cerys on July 23, 2020, 09:32:40 AM
The first time I saw one was in Aber, so nyer.

the last of the mothicans

Twit 2

This looks good:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jul/22/owls-of-the-eastern-ice-by-jonathan-c-slaght-review-an-extraordinary-quest

Saw two different kingfishers dive in from a branch and catch fish about 10 feet away from me, recently. One was such a strange colouration: it was undoubtedly a kingfisher but it was a very dark purple, almost black. Is there such a thing a melanistic ones?

BlodwynPig

well there is the Pied Kingfisher, but that doesn't reside in the UK

or perhaps the Giant

the Sacred

or even the majestic Halycon

Twit 2

Forgot google exists:

QuoteRSPB

Iridescence blues and greens are not pigments, but are see as light reflects on the complex structure of the feather. These are structural colours. The final colour is often a combination of an underlying pigment and the structural colour. For example, many green parrots have yellow pigmentation interacting with a blue structural colour. The true colour of many iridescent feather is black or brown, so if a bird like a kingfisher is seen in very low light, it appears dark in colour.

It was the evening, so yeah, case closed.

BlodwynPig

Just imagine you saw a Giant Kingfisher, you could dine out on that for years.

Enjoyed watching a seagull fly around and round above the cut the other night. Moorhens have nice colours, like a lego bird.

NattyDread 2

Had to share the loch with some of these big mad psychedelic bastards this morning.

Twonty Gostelow

The kookaburra is a kingfisher. That was an Obvious Thing IOJR a couple of years ago.

Quote from: Twit 2 on July 23, 2020, 08:52:16 PM
Saw two different kingfishers dive in from a branch and catch fish about 10 feet away from me, recently.

Must be a good time for them with plenty of food around. I and a load of other people alerted by photos on Instagram watched as many as six of them last week on the River Teifi. These two photos were taken around the same time, two different pairs on opposite sides of the water.

They don't start to get territorial and chase others away until September.

BlodwynPig

I have to say you are very lucky Twonty.

Twonty Gostelow

I'm definitely going through a jammy phase for kingfishers. Never saw one on any river walks in almost 20 years previously.

Otters continue to elude me.