Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:31:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting

Started by Twit 2, August 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on September 05, 2020, 01:04:23 PM
:(

My spirit will reside with you. Just do the rites on the remaining bones and bring them back to Cymru.

bgmnts

Oh sorry I was just sad about the boars, I'd enjoy watching your corpse being devoured by eagles.*

Although why you'd want your bones to fester in this forsaken land I do not know.

*this a joke.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on September 05, 2020, 02:06:45 PM
Oh sorry I was just sad about the boars, I'd enjoy watching your corpse being devoured by eagles.*

Although why you'd want your bones to fester in this forsaken land I do not know.

*this a joke.

I know you were sad about boars. Join our kindred. Shed that human folly.

Buelligan

Or join our kith, if you're more of a centrist and you love a bit (lot) of human folly.

steve98

Quote from: bgmnts on September 01, 2020, 06:42:18 PM
Saw a squashed hedgehog in the middle of the road leading to town centre three days ago, because cunts in cars are cunts.

Yesterday, it was moved to the curb, I do not know why.
Cos it was hoggin' the road.

Attila

Quote from: bgmnts on September 04, 2020, 11:39:32 PM
Poor slugs :(

Don't worry -- the slugs/snails who have been chowing down on my woad are being met with means to thwart, rather than kill, them.

Spoon of Ploff

Found a dead Weasel during my morning walk. Looked like it had been done over but not eaten, so I'm going to assume it was some bastard cat wot done it. It's sad finding out there's another mammal populating your local neighborhood this way.

Here's a weasel in happier times:

Jockice

I fell asleep on the couch on Saturday evening and was woken up at half three in the morning by my cat wanting to go out. I opened the door - and a badger strolled past. Never seen a real-life one before. Big buggers, aren't they?

bgmnts

A big family of rats just off the road in the little bit of treeline before the train station bridge.

They are very precocious, only scurrying in when you get within a few feet, and even then stay under the very light bit of shrubbery. They seem to be quite unfazed by the constant cars whizzing past.

Have a feeling I'm going to be seeing a few squashed ratties on that road :(. Poor buggers.

Buelligan

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on September 07, 2020, 09:18:17 AM
Found a dead Weasel during my morning walk. Looked like it had been done over but not eaten, so I'm going to assume it was some bastard cat wot done it. It's sad finding out there's another mammal populating your local neighborhood this way.

Here's a weasel in happier times:

Sad for that weasel.  I love weasels and all mustelids, so clever, quick and beautiful.  I know they murder, as do lovely cats, foxes and raptors, in fact a lot of the lovely ones do a bit of murder but that's all part of their thing.  Very sad to think of one being lost.

bgmnts

Top 5 mustelids:

Ferrets
Weasels
Badgers
Stoats
Otters

Buelligan

How about pine or stone martens?  Hmmm.  Have you thought of that?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on September 08, 2020, 04:23:45 PM
Top 5 mustelids:

Ferrets
Weasels
Badgers
Stoats
Otters

Wrong.

Wolverine
Badgers
Otters
bgmnts
Ferret-badger

bgmnts

Quote from: Buelligan on September 08, 2020, 04:25:36 PM
How about pine or stone martens?  Hmmm.  Have you thought of that?

Not a fan of martens, although the Nilgiri marten looks really cool.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 08, 2020, 04:26:18 PM
Wrong.

Wolverine
Badgers
Otters
bgmnts
Ferret-badger

Dude I wish I was a mustelid.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on September 08, 2020, 04:28:03 PM
Not a fan of martens, although the Nilgiri marten looks really cool.

Dude I wish I was a mustelid.

I've smelled your laundry basket...you're a mustelid.

paruses

Am sure my phone told me there was a report released that pine martens on the up are doing red squirrel numbers a favour. Can't seem to find it now but will post later if I can track it down.

ZoyzaSorris

Yeah there definitely seems to be evidence that the greys are more likely to be predated than the reds by pine martens.

Buelligan

Certainly near where I work, there's a small mixed wood along a river, mostly pine but some green oak and a few small poplars.  There are definitely red squirrels living there and certainly mustelids of some sort.  I have found dead squirrels and a dead pine marten (road kills) so know they are there but have also been trying to stalk something that I think may be a mink. 

The small river had dried to an isolated deep pool, just below the bridge.  I was about to cross the bridge when I heard something about four to six times heavier than a toad dive into the pool.  I looked for some time but saw nothing but a few gas bubbles.  This happened a few times but the last time I managed to catch a glimpse of something that looked like the haunches and tail of a pine marten disappearing under the green water.  I'm sure martens are not into swimming so am guessing it's a mink, using the small stretch of water as a lure in our arid countryside for catching thirsty prey.

Look at his little face! Surely everybody's favourite mustelid.

Buelligan

It's like a gorilla gone less nice.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Load of cygs earlier, though on the cusp of maturity. The most I've seen on the canal in Leeds make it to that age. Last year I think there was 1 that went full swan. The rest predated, shot by crossbow, poisoned, pulped, minced and gassed.

BlodwynPig

Buelligan

Bats are in again.  Bloody hell.  Idiots.

touchingcloth

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on September 01, 2020, 11:52:57 PM
Wow, where on earth do you live?!

Late response! But I'm in the Algarve, so I reckon it's a Mediterranean chameleon. They're commonly found up olive trees apparently - the garden is full of the things - and come down to ground level when mating. It was ridiculously, luridly green.

bgmnts

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 08, 2020, 11:50:57 PM
Late response! But I'm in the Algarve, so I reckon it's a Mediterranean chameleon. They're commonly found up olive trees apparently - the garden is full of the things - and come down to ground level when mating. It was ridiculously, luridly green.

I dont think that's where you're meant to come when you're mating. Have a word with them.

touchingcloth

Quote from: bgmnts on September 08, 2020, 11:53:06 PM
I dont think that's where you're meant to come when you're mating. Have a word with them.

Have you seen how low down a lady chameleon's cloaca is?

bgmnts

They're all low down by the time...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on September 08, 2020, 11:35:31 PM
Bats are in again.  Bloody hell.  Idiots.

stop sending the bat signal every night

paruses

This might have been what the phone threw up. Other googming suggests other studies have been around for a few years anyway. Might be of interest (it was to me) :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/pine-marten-helping-red-squirrel-population-rebound-study-shows-1.4185385