Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:39:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting

Started by Twit 2, August 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 08, 2020, 10:00:58 PM
Thank you menu. Dare I say, troubles have passed. I went today after 4 days away and all five seemed to be getting along - at least they were all together and apart from a few grunts and hoots, the invaders did not seem aggressive and the cygnets were relaxed. Was treated to this as I turned to wave them goodbye for the evening.

I half imagined I saw five beaked faces staring in awe into the sky through light rain!

That's a beautiful story and a beautiful picture. I told you it all evened out over a season. Lee Dixon was right!

Menu

Quote from: bgmnts on October 08, 2020, 10:29:41 PM
Bin dairy and eggies and any product that you know harms animals. Thats all one can really do.

That's what I'm doing. Milk's gone. Cheese is gone. Meat's gone more than half the week. It's not perfect, but a start.

Menu

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 01, 2020, 05:33:07 PM
Just been to my loch to check in the cob, the pen and the cygs. All seven swans-a-swimming were present and correct. Fed them some sunflower and pumpkin seeds and when some cuntbeaks tried to join the party they told them to get tae. Good work swans, send them to the lower loch where the small wimpy swans hang out.

The swans made a beeline for me and followed me for a bit when I walked away. I'd like to think they recognise me now but I imagine they just see any human as a Bringer Of The Food and lock onto their target. A mallard couple and their third wheel also came right up to me on the bank so I fed them as well. Not the gulls though, they can get fucked.

The Canada Geese had all fucked off, presumably following the railway lines to Aberdeen and beyond.

Love this. I'd love it if some swans followed me. But I don't think they ever will now. Not after I was done for raping that swan.

bgmnts

Quote from: Menu on October 08, 2020, 10:38:17 PM
That's what I'm doing. Milk's gone. Cheese is gone. Meat's gone more than half the week. It's not perfect, but a start.

Yeahhh boiiii

ZoyzaSorris

Yeah as a keto dieter I can't see me going full vegan any time soon but I'm certainly trying to introduce as much of that approach into my weekly diet as I can. Figure it's a continuum rather than a black/white thing.

Menu

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on October 09, 2020, 11:59:40 AM
Yeah as a keto dieter I can't see me going full vegan any time soon but I'm certainly trying to introduce as much of that approach into my weekly diet as I can. Figure it's a continuum rather than a black/white thing.

Same here. If I turned it off completely I'd relapse within a month and probably start eating live horses. I hope there's a end game where I'm 100% vegan though.

Brian Freeze

I've been spotting lots of foxes recently. Have been finishing at 4 or 5 am and pedalling home and seeing at least a couple a week. Saw one getting a proper good chase from another one across the road right in front of me last week and then saw one this morning drinking from the pond where I saw the Rochdale oystercatcher. Loving em.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Brian Freeze on October 14, 2020, 06:37:19 AM
where I saw the Rochdale oystercatcher.

I thought he'd been behind bars since the 90s?

Buelligan

Just popping in to report more boar activity.  A truly lovely sighting, wish I had a camera.  Was walking to work last week, one really long valley to walk along, mountains all round, as is normal with valleys.  Serried with rangs of vines - changing colour, leaf-wise now to gold, lime, apricot, scarlet and plum - punctuated by vertical dark Italian cypresses.  Tartan.  Quite magnificent.  Sun moving to setting behind me at the end of the valley, beyond the blue mountains.  Long ropes of golden light that early winter blesses the land with.  I turned, to fill myself with the utter beauty and down the mountain, to my right, ran a string of boar. 

Mother and about ten striped marcassin.  In a proper line.  Five metres away.  Down they came prancing and skipping.  Snouts raised.  Glorious.  Fearless.  Laughing.  Across the path and down into the vines.  Silhouetted between me and the falling sun.  Every bristle shone, a rosy golden halo.  Unspeakably wonderful.  Something to think on for a lifetime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gullinbursti

bgmnts

Damn, its like I was there.

Buelligan

You should be bgmnts, it's paradise.  A hard work paradise.

bgmnts

Je souhaite, mais je ne parle pas francais booo.

Brian Freeze

Rode past the pond last night - a couple of ducks were just mooching about.

Rode past the pond this morning - more than seventy canada geese floating around with their heads under their wings. They looked quite surreal.

BlodwynPig

Horace is back in action and I think he lives behind the shed, I've moved the camera to try and detect exactly where he is coming from to feed (moved bowl near shed as well). I think Mouse lives under shed. Last night was very busy but will have to check what was on the camera as there are 100 videos compared to the usual 2 or 3. Deffo a ginger Tom cat (also going behind the shed seemingly).

bgmnts

What the hell do you have behind your shed Blodwyn!?

Attila

Such a wonderful description, Bullegan.

Fewer hedgehogs now as it gets chillier, although when I was out around 5am yesterday morning, there was a fat 'hog at the Party Palace. He just grunted and barely moved from eating as I refilled the fox bowl. Still getting lots of foxes; I can hear them crunching away there below the bedroom window in the middle of the night most nights.

Saw a family of three foxes wrestling and playing with each other alongside the railway tracks on m way back to the house yesterday.

bgmnts

Quote from: Attila on October 16, 2020, 11:58:08 AM

Innit? Why she isn't writing I dunno!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I also enjoyed the post, lovely to read. Though following the link

QuoteSindri laid a pigskin in the hearth and bade Brokkr blow,

#clowne

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Attila on October 16, 2020, 11:58:08 AM

Fewer hedgehogs now as it gets chillier, although when I was out around 5am yesterday morning, there was a fat 'hog at the Party Palace. He just grunted and barely moved from eating as I refilled the fox bowl. Still getting lots of foxes; I can hear them crunching away there below the bedroom window in the middle of the night most nights.

Saw a family of three foxes wrestling and playing with each other alongside the railway tracks on m way back to the house yesterday.

Don't you use an outdoor camera thingy? What type do you use, is there anything worth looking out for?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on October 16, 2020, 08:19:50 AM
What the hell do you have behind your shed Blodwyn!?

oh Horace!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on October 14, 2020, 10:44:50 AM
Just popping in to report more boar activity.  A truly lovely sighting, wish I had a camera.  Was walking to work last week, one really long valley to walk along, mountains all round, as is normal with valleys.  Serried with rangs of vines - changing colour, leaf-wise now to gold, lime, apricot, scarlet and plum - punctuated by vertical dark Italian cypresses.  Tartan.  Quite magnificent.  Sun moving to setting behind me at the end of the valley, beyond the blue mountains.  Long ropes of golden light that early winter blesses the land with.  I turned, to fill myself with the utter beauty and down the mountain, to my right, ran a string of boar. 

Mother and about ten striped marcassin.  In a proper line.  Five metres away.  Down they came prancing and skipping.  Snouts raised.  Glorious.  Fearless.  Laughing.  Across the path and down into the vines.  Silhouetted between me and the falling sun.  Every bristle shone, a rosy golden halo.  Unspeakably wonderful.  Something to think on for a lifetime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gullinbursti

missed this glory, sorry

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on October 16, 2020, 05:40:36 PM
NO BOMBING!

He wasn't "bombing", I have the video as evidence.

BlodwynPig

He's made an unlikely pal too

Slug seems to be in and out of the bowl every night whilst Horace chows down on more tasty snacks.

bgmnts

"When you're the best of friends..."

Very adorable.

Consignia

I just trod on a dead hedgehog. That's made me unfeasibly sad.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Consignia on October 16, 2020, 05:56:53 PM
I just trod on a dead hedgehog. That's made me unfeasibly sad.

There was one at the side of the road I walk along coming back from the Swans. It wasn't crushed, just perfectly ok looking in some kerbside grass, but I saw some flies and the  next day it was still there and the week after. Either old age, car shocked it or it was slightly knocked by cunt car. I hate cars. Really hate them.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 16, 2020, 05:39:43 PM
oh Horace!

Again, is this a special camera you use to film outdoors with, like one of those you can strap to a tree? I might ask for one for my birthday but not sure what type to go for.

Attila

I've got an Apeman camera, can't remember the exact module. Really easy to use -- I keep it on a tripod aimed at the Party Palace. A lot of my photos inthis thread were pulled off it.

I've been so busy with bleaugh on campus during the week, that I haven't been checking the camera daily -- so once a week I bring it in and have a l ovely look through close to 1,000 or so photos (it takes between 50 and 200 a night, depending on the actitivy at the feeding station. When I let it go for a week like this I get daytime bird action, which is nice (there's a magpie that comes by around dawn).

Lots of photos of the neighbours' cats when they come by -- rather glad, as one of the oldesters, old Arthur, has vanished in the last few weeks. We don't know if he's died, or if he's been taken away to a shelter (as his owner, who was in her 90s) I think has gone into care. He used to come up to our garden, so I have some good photos of him, at least.