Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:04:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting

Started by Twit 2, August 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endicott

This doesn't look good for corvids.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 23, 2019, 02:02:27 PM
Been a ton of crows around but looked like these had lighter chests. I can't see good though.

I've seen various hawks and eagles in and around Hamilton, often just glances as they whizz past - and to be fair I sometimes wonder if they are not just crows or other large normal birds. My landlady told me that there are no crows in Canada - but I have since seen large crows around, so...

I did see a bald eagle and chick and Osprey, for sure, as they were stationary.

Ferris

BlodwynPig

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 23, 2019, 03:14:01 PM
Cor! Vid?

Didn't get a vid sorry, only pictures.

A prize to anyone who can make imgur embed in this thread. It seems to arbitrarily hate me.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

where did you see the racoon? 

BlodwynPig

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 23, 2019, 03:40:26 PM
where did you see the racoon?

Parliament Square Park. The site of Canada's first parliament before it was burned down by Americans, fact-fans.

Now raccoons hang around there instead.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 23, 2019, 04:45:02 PM
Parliament Square Park. The site of Canada's first parliament before it was burned down by Americans, fact-fans.

Now raccoons hang around there instead.

Cool, will head there next time I'm up. Is it guaranteed Racoon spot?

Brian Freeze

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 23, 2019, 03:12:34 PM
Raccoon last week

https://imgur.com/a/oyU2sMj

There was a 99% Invisible episode about Raccoons in Toronto you might find interesting. Number 330.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 23, 2019, 05:03:42 PM
Cool, will head there next time I'm up. Is it guaranteed Racoon spot?

I've lived opposite it for over 6 years and have seen a grand total of 2 raccoons there. So... probably not? Not really sure.

They're difficult to seek out downtown, the sneaky fuckers. You'd have better luck in Hamilton I reckon

Ferris

Quote from: Brian Freeze on January 23, 2019, 05:37:12 PM
There was a 99% Invisible episode about Raccoons in Toronto you might find interesting. Number 330.

Will seek it out, thanks!

Brian Freeze

We sat out having a fire in the garden a couple of weeks ago and while we were toasting marshmallows we got invaded by a flock of long tailed tits onto the fastball feeder. I counted 15 at one time and we were only ten feet away. Which was a very pleasant five minutes.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 23, 2019, 05:37:52 PM
I've lived opposite it for over 6 years and have seen a grand total of 2 raccoons there. So... probably not? Not really sure.

They're difficult to seek out downtown, the sneaky fuckers. You'd have better luck in Hamilton I reckon

I've just seen the one in October and the squashed one on York Road.

BlodwynPig

ZoyzaSorris

Got a lovely look at a kingfisher, grey wagtail and some redwings down the park today.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on February 03, 2019, 04:54:43 PM
Got a lovely look at a kingfisher, grey wagtail and some redwings down the park today.

nice, where was this?

ZoyzaSorris

NattyDread 2

My daughter spotted a treecreeper yesterday. Handy to have eagle-eyed youngsters around as I'm rubbish at spotting creatures these days, unless it's a fold of Highland Coos. My better half is quite the accomplished otter spotter.

DrGreggles

Saw a stray ironing board earlier.

Jittlebags

Possible red kite spotting near Welshpool today.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on February 03, 2019, 09:09:55 PM
My daughter spotted a treecreeper yesterday. Handy to have eagle-eyed youngsters around as I'm rubbish at spotting creatures these days, unless it's a fold of Highland Coos. My better half is quite the accomplished otter spotter.

Nice. I remember spotting a treecreeper when I was tiny that my parents hadnt seen, maybe there something about tiny prying eyes that gets in the cryptic zone.

Brian Freeze

A couple from last weekend and one from this morning. We saw the first Bumblebee of the year on saturday and then while moving some stone we found a brand new species - Rosy Woodlice (new to us, not science)

This morning we had a couple of randy blackbirds getting fruity on the apex of the shed.
Spring is in the air!

paruses

Tons of siskin in the garden and over the last week greenfinch and a lot of goldfinch. Finch central.

Also spotted a treecreeper in the woods the other day and I am a full grown man. Take that tiny children!

BlodwynPig

Got a nice video of a black vulture over the golf course yesterday and on the same course I saw a coyote gamboling into a wood pile. My landlady said she'd spotted a baby raccoon in the neighbours tree and a hawk or eagle swooped down and killed it. It returned in the evening to pick at the carcass and then picked it up and flew over the house. Although ghastly, I would have loved to have seen that. I am in the basement and my bathroom window faces the back garden where this happened but Im not going to sit there all day craning my neck to see all the action. First chipmunk of the year emerged from his burrow this morning and came and fed from my hand.

BlodwynPig

Oh, and the Grackle are abundant.

[url width=400]https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ACa62aGbxqHnD7nURYyqub02sJM=/0x727:2000x2060/1200x800/filters:focal(0x727:2000x2060)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/47092770/GettyImages-173465898.0.jpg[/url]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFoEJfpHh5I

Twit 2

Barn owl on the river last night.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 29, 2019, 06:02:27 PM
Barn owl on the river last night.

I hope he nodded in acknowledgment.