Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:27:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting

Started by Twit 2, August 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've not had much luck getting photos of birds on the feeder so thought I'd try leaving some dry dog food out overnight to see if I could get a little nocturnal action.

I was pleased to find pics of this charming little scamp when I checked this morning. I'll try to position the camera and food bowl a little better tonight.

BlodwynPig

Nice to see first signs of spring. The heron returned and just behind I saw two rabbits chasing each other, oblivious to my presence until they spotted me - my can they run!

these are massively zoomed in from crappy iPhone videos, but I'll post them anyway

BlodwynPig

actually, those ears seem too big for rabbits? hares?

Attila

Yay, foxy! I wish 'mine' would come back. Fingers crossed they hit us up again.

Wonderful heron and bunnies/hares. One thing about the spring commute, is we go past this one field just before a massive trainyard, and there are burrows all down along it -- in early morning you get to see loads of hares and baby bunnies leaping around at play.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Attila on February 28, 2021, 10:42:25 AM
Yay, foxy! I wish 'mine' would come back. Fingers crossed they hit us up again.

Wonderful heron and bunnies/hares. One thing about the spring commute, is we go past this one field just before a massive trainyard, and there are burrows all down along it -- in early morning you get to see loads of hares and baby bunnies leaping around at play.

They are not rare here, but it was only last year during lockdown that I started to see wildlife in relative abundance (mind you, I'm at my mums, so have only really lived here in lockdown). Will take the trail camera out today - don't know whether to put it in the spot where it captured badgers and foxes, or at that lake in the hope of capturing the heron/rabbits (difficult to find spot to capture both). Need bait.

Attila

It begins. Two hedgehogs at the Party Palace through to the wee hours of the morning. Time to start buying sacks of kitten chow as part of the weekly shop again.

BlodwynPig

Badger, shame she didn't show her face - was frantically digging in the video.

Attila

We bought our wildlife camera originally because our new-to-us cat Mr Biggie escaped after being with us only 2 weeks (we got him back in to acclimatise properly, but it was a hair-raising few days).

Lately of course it's been hedgehog-tastic, but we may have caught on camera a cat that's just gone missing from a neighbour a few streets over. I noticed the lost-cat signs while out on a walk this morning, and checked the camera when I got in -- there's a batch of photos with a new cat-visitor to the food station. I've spoken with the owners, and they think it's their guy -- it's a bit hard to tell as the camera was on night-vision.

Fingers crossed it's him, and he continues to come to the party palace to be reunited with his family.

Do'nt really have time this afternoon, but some more hedgehog photos incoming, including one with a toothy grin.

Enter badger, stage right. Ooh, exciting!

Bugger! I can't even tell which end is which.

BlodwynPig

At least you got his face. Is this in your garden? amazing. It's turned cold here again so not motivated to put the camera out in the woodlands for the badger, but will do at the weekend with some apples.

edit: actually that looks like a pushmepullyou badger - very odd

Pity it's not a bit clearer but happy to have snapped pics of both a fox and a badger so far this week. Yes, it's my garden and the naughty badger had a go at digging up the lawn after he'd scoffed the dry dog food I put out for him.

I literally can't make head nor tail of him - I assume the head is nearest to us, going my the angle of the legs and the hunched "shoulders" but the other end looks like it's got head-like markings. Perhaps a more experienced naturist will be able to tell.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on March 03, 2021, 05:21:02 PM
Pity it's not a bit clearer but happy to have snapped pics of both a fox and a badger so far this week. Yes, it's my garden and the naughty badger had a go at digging up the lawn after he'd scoffed the dry dog food I put out for him.

I literally can't make head nor tail of him - I assume the head is nearest to us, going my the angle of the legs and the hunched "shoulders" but the other end looks like it's got head-like markings. Perhaps a more experienced naturist will be able to tell.

I would say the head is the other way, but that is one mad rump and tail

Yes, you're right. Looking again I can see an ear on the "arse" end.

Brian Freeze

Badgers head is to the right of the picture and the tail is nearest the camera. The "ear" near the tail is a flash of paler underfur from the inner thigh as its rear left paw is furthest back. Hint of another "ear" on the other side too but I'm sure its the same paler underfur.

Next time you see a badger, ask politely and check under its tail for lighter fur. In the name of research of course.

bgmnts

A lot of the trees cut down along the river bank for some reason. I saw a regal looking blackbird stood on one of the decapitated trunks and I felt bittersweet; sad that the nature was being destroyed but hopeful that, in the end, it will always triumph.

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 04, 2021, 12:32:18 AM
Badgers head is to the right of the picture and the tail is nearest the camera. The "ear" near the tail is a flash of paler underfur from the inner thigh as its rear left paw is furthest back. Hint of another "ear" on the other side too but I'm sure its the same paler underfur.

Next time you see a badger, ask politely and check under its tail for lighter fur. In the name of research of course.

Ah, thanks. What I belatedly took to be an ear is the tuft on the top right of the body, by the dark marking. Think I'll try hiding in the garden overnight and if he comes back I'll flip him and examine his underparts.

Had another visit from foxy last night but I positioned the camera badly so didn't get great pics.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on March 04, 2021, 08:16:30 AM
Ah, thanks. What I belatedly took to be an ear is the tuft on the top right of the body, by the dark marking. Think I'll try hiding in the garden overnight and if he comes back I'll flip him and examine his underparts.

Had another visit from foxy last night but I positioned the camera badly so didn't get great pics.

I think that is an ear and Brian Freeze is talking about the back ears nearer the camera

Attila

UK badgers are so different looking from the ones back home!

We've had only one badger at the Party Palace over the years, thank fuck -- it left behind carnage, and we didn't have hedgehogs in the garden for a long time after that. Haven't seen any for the past couple of years, as I would imagine Mr Gus and the other cats keep them away.

holyzombiejesus

Any idea how to actually see an owl? There seem to be loads of them quite close to the house judging from the hoots but obviously it's dark when they're out. Not sure if shining a torch up in the trees would be appreciated by them or the neighbours. Also interested in hearing more of their sounds. I keep hearing something that sounds a bit like a squeak or short shriek and am unsure what it is. Sounds daft but not sure if it's a bird or some other animal. Thought it could be an owl as I only hear it very late at night, around 1am.

Edit: Think it's a Little Owl. Bit of a shit name really.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 04, 2021, 11:48:17 AM
Any idea how to actually see an owl?

Subscribe to its Onlystrigiformes[nb]Wikipedia has badly failed to enable this onlyfans joke/edit glitch kill[/nb]

Jumblegraws

Any idea how to actually see an owl?
Learn to imitate the sound of an injured baby rabbit. That's not a joke, it's how I got the owl to appear in the pic I posted

Joe Oakes

Have a couple of foxes that visit most nights and eat from my hand. One even tapped on the front door once when they were impatient. Yeah, I know you're not supposed to, and it annoys the fuck outta the neighbours, but it makes me feel good. So fuck 'em.

I'm trying to think of a way to parlay this into a viral video. My only idea so far:

I start filming spoon feeding my baby indoors, I notice the fox waiting through the window. I say "hang on, son, Mr Fox also needs his dinner". I pause feeding junior to go outside to feed the fox. I lovingly feed him treats by hand while saying something about how beautiful and misunderstood the fox is, and how I can't understand why some people can be so against feeding them. I say goodbye to Mr Fox, then return to the house to find only the mangled remains of a baby, as if it had been eaten in haste by wildlife. I then tut to myself and say "I see what they mean now".

While feeding the fox, I can get someone to switch the baby with a solitary baby doll leg imbedded into bits of a chicken carcass. Only problem is that I need to borrow a baby, but I already have a doll leg on hand, so that's half the battle won. Only other problem is that it's a completely rubbish idea.

Attila

Envious of fox bonding there!

In other news, a second hedgehog has shown up at the party palace, one with a very distinctive face/headshape, and this one is deffo courting and canoodling with the original little guy (or gal -- I've no way to tell).

Lots of photos of them last night sharing the food bowl, having drinks together, and dancing in circles. Gotta get on Teams with students now, but will upload some photos.

Love is deffo in the air at the party palace.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Attila on March 05, 2021, 09:21:11 AM
Envious of fox bonding there!

In other news, a second hedgehog has shown up at the party palace, one with a very distinctive face/headshape, and this one is deffo courting and canoodling with the original little guy (or gal -- I've no way to tell).

Lots of photos of them last night sharing the food bowl, having drinks together, and dancing in circles. Gotta get on Teams with students now, but will upload some photos.

Love is deffo in the air at the party palace.

local ITV news had a feature on hedgehogs tonight. Will be ordering a new batch of food pronto.

paruses

Saw a badger tonight while out. Very pleased. Occurred to me that is the first ever live badger I have seen.

Brian Freeze

Any idea how to actually see an owl? There seem to be loads of them quite close to the house judging from the hoots but obviously it's dark when they're out. Not sure if shining a torch up in the trees would be appreciated by them or the neighbours. Also interested in hearing more of their sounds. I keep hearing something that sounds a bit like a squeak or short shriek and am unsure what it is. Sounds daft but not sure if it's a bird or some other animal. Thought it could be an owl as I only hear it very late at night, around 1am.

Edit: Think it's a Little Owl. Bit of a shit name really.

Apparently, and someone will correct me if Im wrong, Owls are very habitual in their movements and will generally hunt or mooch about in the same places at the same time allowing for seasonal variations in day/night length so that might help you narrow down the search. I'd be listening for the noises and then just watching and waiting nearby. The brighter the moon the better probably. Dont think they'd like the torch over much.

We get that short sharp shriek at night. Have a listen to the Barn Owl screeches on YouTube. Reckon thats what ours is, especially since Ive seen one up the road. Ive not made the connection before now. Plenty of Tawny Owl calling but there was another noise tonight. Im terrible at describing these things but it was a sort of trilling purring coo in the dark. Fake edit : just looked it up and its the love call/mating call of the Tawny owl.

Brian Freeze

First Bullfinch of the year. Nice.

Have just had a letter that the fields where I've been owl watching are under planning application again for 246 houses. Have already objected to this and they've rejigged the application. I havent taken this news well and its knocked me for six to be honest. I can and will post some more comments in objection but Im very down about it. Twats.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 06, 2021, 09:14:35 AM

Have just had a letter that the fields where I've been owl watching are under planning application again for 246 houses. Have already objected to this and they've rejigged the application. I havent taken this news well and its knocked me for six to be honest. I can and will post some more comments in objection but Im very down about it. Twats.

That's fucking crap. They've built right around our village with new houses and this is set to get worse - essentially turning the village into a linked outpost the Newcastle with the wild fields and woods between taken over by jeep driving shandy drinking cunts. Already wildlife killed by dogs has gone up. We did protest (well my mum did, as I was not living here when they did the planning application). Didn't make any difference. Not long left for the badgers, deers, foxes and rabbits that I've seen in the last year. Does make you understand ecoterrorism, despite many on here thinking its worse than baby hitler.

paruses

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 06, 2021, 09:14:35 AM

That's good. Not seen anything exciting yet birdwise far as I can recall.

That's shit. Sounds like you need to get hold of some Great Crested Newts - the scourge of the developer. For a while anyway. At least cause them some distress.

Some road has fallen away near where I live. It is by steep banking down to a river. I met a surveyor when I was walking there recently who said that to repair it they would have to bend the road into the ancient woodland that runs alongside. It's not even as if it will just be losing say 20ft of woodland when you factor in all the machinery and shit that will trample over it all.