Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:32:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting

Started by Twit 2, August 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: Attila on March 30, 2021, 06:42:32 PM
Those photos where he's dipping into the water bowl? It's part of a sequence where he's washing/soaking said kibble. There's other blurry photos of him with a beakful, then you can see he's chucked them all in the water, then scoops them back up again when they're soggy.

Yes, but from the pictorial evidence I consider the quantity of soggy kibble to be respectable.

Similarly, our street is overrun by blue jays and they don't seem to be up to much aggro at all. It's all crows, and occasionally seagulls from neighbouring turf[nb]the ocean[/nb].

phes

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on March 30, 2021, 02:53:20 PM
I'm delighted with the squirrel table I bought a couple of weeks ago but I'm looking for a way to stop the squirrel food being nicked by various robins, tits, blackbirds and occasional pigeon. Any suggestions gratefully received.

They're a bit of a nightmare for that. Not sure you'll keep them out of that specific table. I love them but my conservationist friend says gas this tree of cunts

Yes, I'm pretty much resigned to having them raid the table so I'll just make there's enough food for the birds as well as them. I know they're just rats with good P.R. but I still like watching their antics, even if they do drive my dog mad.

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 30, 2021, 01:36:59 PM
Did you know that pheasants have one of the smaller brains to bodies ratio of birds?

bred that way to give those inbred gun toting royals a fighting chance?

BlodwynPig

Buelligan

That was fantastic!  Forgot to say, saw two swallowtail butterflies yesterday, also fantastic.

NoOffenceLynn

Sue Cook pulled out so there's a last minicommotion going on at 6.AM on my balcony.

Twit 2

One kingfisher, multiple herons and a pair of marsh harriers by the river yesterday.

Buelligan

Twit 2

Aye, the river is where it's at (helps that there's an RSPB nature reserve it goes through). Guaranteed spottin's every time. Got a river near you? Get the fuck down there.

bgmnts

I go down the river regularly and the best I'll see is a fat squirrel.

I did see a possible cormorant once during heavy rain and I think it just got stuck on a branch as it is already a fast flowing river, poor bugger.

Twit 2

Whereabouts in the country are you? Norfolk is very rural obviously and is a great county for wildlife, particularly birds, so I'm lucky.

bgmnts

South East Wales. Not a lot of wildlife here really.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 01, 2021, 07:50:30 PM
Titmouse and the fox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqjidqAmWpE

This guy has completely misinterpreted the whole thing. That 'titmouse' is one of the finest hairdressers of his generation. Sylveechio. Lovely chap. Had him round here in Feb when the tangles were getting unmanageable. (He will only work while you're sleeping though, but I don't see anything wrong with that.) Fox will have had a fiver tucked under his arse. And when he ungroggied himself he'll have been pleased as a bowl of biscuits.

Attila

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 01, 2021, 07:50:30 PM
Titmouse and the fox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqjidqAmWpE

Just a friendly game of twatface

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT4XdWuwoNs

(I miss titmice! We used to get loads of tufted titmice at the bird feeding station when I had my house).

Buelligan

Ferris or Blods, do they have titmoose in Canada?

ZoyzaSorris

That's a lovely video, what a beautiful fox too! Looks so comfy, I might have to go and curl up.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on April 02, 2021, 11:51:06 AM

Didn't see any - wikipedia says yes, exactly where I lived, but maybe not as Far East as Ferris.

I did find out the 'rusty gate' noise I heard the first month I was over, was a Blue Jay intimidation call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oaaBt1h3-k

Ferris

Quote from: Buelligan on April 02, 2021, 11:51:06 AM

I have field mice inside my house. Beat that, nature fans!

Attila

Buelligan

bgmnts

Lovely brân!

Still can't work out if the tits that have been outside in the trees for months are great tits or blue tits but I love watching them twig flit.

Also saw a mad duck waddling along road near the curb. Silly cunt.

phes

They should be singing now which will tell you. If they sound like a rusty old honking gate being opened and closed then they're great tits. It's almost certainly both though. If they're in greater numbers and twig flit up and down the tree in a fairly vertical direction, ascending or descending by levels then they're probably long tails.

Kankurette

That's a marvellous specimen of corvidity. If the weather's fine, I'm going for a long walk tomorrow. Hopefully might see some parakeets.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Out near Langsett Reservoir today:

1 x Lapwing
1 x field full of black lambs and their parents presumably in some less fertile partition like some apartheid system

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kankurette on April 02, 2021, 08:08:48 PM
That's a marvellous specimen of corvidity. If the weather's fine, I'm going for a long walk tomorrow. Hopefully might see some parakeets.

Some down near Kings Cross, the street to the East that goes South.

bgmnts

Quote from: phes on April 02, 2021, 07:56:29 PM
They should be singing now which will tell you. If they sound like a rusty old honking gate being opened and closed then they're great tits. It's almost certainly both though. If they're in greater numbers and twig flit up and down the tree in a fairly vertical direction, ascending or descending by levels then they're probably long tails.

Cheers!

Attila

Quote from: Kankurette on April 02, 2021, 08:08:48 PM

Fun sightings in my travels have been parakeets/canaries in San Francisco (borne of various runaway pets) and green parrots in the Forum in Rome.

Meanwhile, Foxy is coming by more and more. (Hedgehogs are the ones who knock over the water bowl -- we keep meaning to get a better one for them. They tromp through it or deliberately pull it over on themselves, especially the boy-pig. Haven't seen his galpal in about a week, after an hour-long lovefest caught on camera last weekend.)

and we learned with the latest batch of photos that she's vixen with kits

Last year we had several young foxes in and out of the  Party Palace, so with luck she'll bring her family along once they're old enough.

bgmnts

Quote from: Attila on April 03, 2021, 12:32:45 PM
Haven't seen his galpal in about a week, after an hour-long lovefest caught on camera last weekend.)

Not educated on this at all but I read this:

QuoteMother hedgehogs don't follow normal hedgehog routines and will venture out during the day. This behavior is unlike normal hedgehog habits being nocturnal creatures sleeping during the day and foraging at night. Hedgehogs out during the day is an indication something is wrong with a hedgehog and they will likely need help, but a mother hedgehog out during the day will simply be looking for food and water.