Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:00:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting

Started by Twit 2, August 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Impressed by both, thanks Zoz and Gurke

Dex Sawash

Attila

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on April 26, 2021, 09:29:56 AM
On a lighter note, got a bunch of footage of these little guys last night.

Saw them cavorting around yesterday at the bottom of the garden and thought it was the perfect opportunity to dust off the old apeman and get it working again in time for my renewed effort to find wild boar when I'm back in the woods...

(yes, I haven't been bothered to set correct time/date)

Ahhhh, brilliant!!! I keep hoping our fox-mum brings her babies along at some point.

The old man fox was back last night, too.

Lovely little brown tit burb, G & H.

phes

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 26, 2021, 10:19:05 AM
Long-tailed tit posed for me for ages on Saturday.

Lotti's as abbreviated by bird ringers. Saw my first goldcrest of the year yesterday, bobbing alongside a brick wall and pecking out all the tiny morsels ignored by larger creatures. Apparently there has been an Osprey over Sheffield this week 

bgmnts

I think tits are my favourite birds I see now. I love the ones with yellow bellies and blueish tops.

Well, I think crows are my lifetime favourite but these yellow bellied blue tit chubby twig flitters are so cute.

phes

Apparently they're one of the most aggressive little birds to handle which I find endearing. Always like to see my friend's hands covered in tiny pecks as payback for hassling the little souls

I need help identifying a bird I saw this morning hunting for fish in a shallow part of the River Yare. It seemed to be a heron but was more white than grey. Was unsure if it was an Egret but it had that little fringe bit that herons have.

phes

Probably a great egret

Edit - maybe a little egret then

BlodwynPig

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on April 26, 2021, 01:27:22 PM
I need help identifying a bird I saw this morning hunting for fish in a shallow part of the Ricer Yare. It seemed to be a heron but was more white than grey. Was unsure if it was an Egret but it had that little fringe bit that herons have.

Seagull?

Gurke and Hare

Tits are the best birds because you can say "I just say a pair of great tits outside my window" and nobody can tell you off because it's true. The tit displays in my garden are fantastic sometimes, great tits just parading back and forth.

Ahem.

I saw a goldcrest on Friday, that I think may have been a juvenile. It was hopping around in a tree so I couldn't get a good look, and I just got a quick flash of the crest, which seemed to be more yellow than gold. Also saw a wren, blackcap, kingfisher, goldfinch and chaffinch at the same time and a little egret flew over. It's fantastic what you can see in inner city London.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 26, 2021, 02:36:26 PM
Tits are the best birds because you can say "I just say a pair of great tits outside my window" and nobody can tell you off because it's true. The tit displays in my garden are fantastic sometimes, great tits just parading back and forth.

Ahem.

I saw a goldcrest on Friday, that I think may have been a juvenile. It was hopping around in a tree so I couldn't get a good look, and I just got a quick flash of the crest, which seemed to be more yellow than gold. Also saw a wren, blackcap, kingfisher, goldfinch and chaffinch at the same time and a little egret flew over. It's fantastic what you can see in inner city London.

Be all gone, replaced by loafer shops under a Keir led Labour government.

Gurke and Hare

Do flowers count? Lots of snake's head fritillaries in Dulwich Park.

Attila

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 26, 2021, 06:06:04 PM
Do flowers count? Lots of snake's head fritillaries in Dulwich Park.

Yes!

Really lovely, perfect for the end of an therwise crap day here :)

bgmnts

Shitload of dandelions about now, big fat ones too.

My mother is going to make some dandelion honey again this year.

ZoyzaSorris

Love me a fritillary too

paruses

Saw my first orange tip[nb]don't be disgusting[/nb] of the year. Lovely.

ZoyzaSorris

Nice. Still hardly seen any butterflies give or take the occasional small white and holly blue. Did get a battered old soldier of a peacock in the greenhosue which was nice to see, maybe it hibernated in there.

Got another batch of agonisingly cute cub footage to sort through...

paruses

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on April 27, 2021, 01:21:21 PM
Nice. Still hardly seen any butterflies give or take the occasional small white and holly blue. Did get a battered old soldier of a peacock in the greenhosue which was nice to see, maybe it hibernated in there.

Got another batch of agonisingly cute cub footage to sort through...

Yes - possibly first butterfly thinking about it apart from the knackered peacocks that have made it through. 

Have had some good dipper action lately. Stood for ages watching one do some proper underwater swimming couple of weeks back. Few more willows and chiffs standing out too on walks. Went into the churchyard on Saturday hoping to see the odd hawfinch but didn't have time to settle for long enough. Might have another bash later in the week.

Excellent footage Zoyza. Definitely going to get an Apeman this year. Definitely.

phes

Hoped to see a Dipper on Monday as I walked along the Derwent from Bamford to Ladybower but sadly not. Did get to see a bunch of yellow wagtails doing their thing, zooming about acrobatically. Seemed there was a song thrush on every block knocking out all sorts of weird and wonderful songs 

Attila

Terrific baby fox clips! Thank you for sharing :3

We've got at least three foxes coming to the party palace, but no little ones (yet?).

Attila

Loads of good photos over the last few days, but to avoid a massive picture dump, here are some recent photos of the old boy who's been coming by for kibble -- all hours of the day!

Unlike the skittish vixen, he moseys up to the food station, hangs out, wanders around sniffing stuff. Sometimes he'll just sit for a while in front of the camera. I was really surprised to see he's been coming by in the mid morning and late afternoons as well as multiple times throughout the night.

BlodwynPig

He looks about 14 years old.

Blue Jam

There's something a bit Prince Philip about him ;)

Caught this cheeky wee fella today. Think he was contemplating throwing a kettle over a pub:

Heard the first cuckoos of the year yesterday, in Perthshire. Felt more like early March than early May though, with sunshine and wintry showers - the tops of the higher hills are white with snow again.

Saw some curlews with their long, curved beaks. Even I can't mistake those. Loads of lapwings (although I would usually call them peewits). Just discovered that a flock of lapwings/peewits is called a 'deceit', possibly because they sometimes pull the old 'broken wing' trick to distract you away from their nesting sites.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 01, 2021, 04:52:37 PM
There's something a bit Prince Philip about him ;)

rather

paruses

Wanker Spotting more like (upsetting story alert):

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/heart-rending-photo-captures-ospreys-20512184?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

(Although they have anthropomorphesised the birds to a degree. But even so).

BlodwynPig

Seals at St. Mary's Lighthouse and a cormorant eating a crab. Not seen seals out of the water before, so pretty nice day.

Buelligan

Wow, incredible stuff, haven't visited the thread for a bit and the Spring's filled it with beauty.  Obvs have to applaud the fritillaries - possibly my favourite British wildflower - people who can should visit Lugg meadow near Hereford round now to see a sight that'll stay with them forever.  Also, goldcrests, could count the number I've seen ever on one hand and phes chats coolly about this year, very jealous.  And foxlets, omfg.  Seals, lttits and egrets.

Anyway, just popped in to mention that I was out and about saw a nice big Green lizard (Lacerta viridis) - frightened it, I'm afraid.  And then scared the living shit out of a Coypu/Ragondin, down by the river.  It ran, a loping fat buck-toothed otter-imposter, across the shore and dived most elegantly, first time I've seen one there.  Nice.

phes

I see goldcrests less frequently now as I'm in the city but when I was more rural it was a common sight. I would rarely see them alone because they're so small and their song is not imposing. But often when you saw small mixed groups of birds that hung out together, blue/coal/great/long tailed tits, they would be accompanied by a treecreeper and/or a goldcrest. So it became fairly easy to spot them. Now I don't see those groups often so I'm reliant on chance or hearing the song.

In more gruesome tales from the natural world. Last week I looked out from the window at work and saw a magpie eating a rat.

Fishfinger

Robin fledgling:

Saw one a couple of days ago being fed mealworm by a parent. This one might be a bit older, as it's sleeker, can fly a bit and was foraging solo.