Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:43:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting

Started by Twit 2, August 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Any woodpecker experts?

I've just seen two woodpeckers in the garden. No photos, they'd gone by the time I got the camera. They were either juvenile great spotteds

or male lesser spotteds

{Pictures courtesy RSPB)

I didn't see the red flash where the tail meets the body, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there, I just didn't know to look out for it. Similarly I didn't pick up the detail on the back which would help. I'm inclined to think they were the juveniles because there were two of them - anyone know whether or not it's likely that two male lesser spotteds would just be hanging out together? They were using a feeder so hopefully they'll be back for more.

Spoon of Ploff

Bloody hell. These pictures show I miss-identified greater spotted or lesser spotted just one page ago. Not for the first time in this thread either.

ZoyzaSorris

Lesser spotted are bloody rare and hard to see - they are also tiny (sparrow-sized) . I'd say if in doubt I'd err on them being great spotted.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on June 17, 2021, 10:52:37 AM
Lesser spotted are bloody rare and hard to see - they are also tiny (sparrow-sized) . I'd say if in doubt I'd err on them being great spotted.

Sparrow sized? RSPB says 14-15 cm, which is about what these were.

They've been back now though, and I saw the red tail flash this time so definitely greater spotted.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 15, 2021, 11:56:21 AM
No photos, sorry - but in the last month I've seen:

Albino squirrel near West Malling
Turtle on the Medway in Maidstone
Grey Seal (ditto)
Fallow deer at Kings Wood, Challock

And many many more...

All these moments, lost in time, like rats down the drain

BlodwynPig

Quote from: paruses on June 15, 2021, 12:36:05 PM
Wildlife cam question: I got an Apeman a week ago and put 6 batteries in 4xbrand new Duracell 2xno-mark from the battery box but showing strong charge on my little charger thing. I put it on test and set date and picture type etc. Switched it off and left it on the worktop.
On Sunday I decided to give it a trial run so switched it back on (test). It makes the bling sound. A picture appears for half a second then it makes the bling sound again and shuts down.

Anyone else had this issue? From what people have said batteries tend to last long time.
Shall I just cut my losses and get Amazon to send a replacement?

I think thats normal. Is it going into capture mode - does it take pics ? Check view mode

paruses

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 17, 2021, 11:32:12 AM

They've been back now though, and I saw the red tail flash this time so definitely greater spotted.

14-15cm for lesser seems quite big. I thought they were big Great Tit sized but that is anecdotal evidence from friends who have had them in the hand. And as Zoyza suggests they are pretty furtive.

From the size they sound more like juveniles but be great if they are lessers.

Go on Rare Bird Alert and say they are confirmed middle spotted - they love a prank.

Edit - for some reason I missed your second paragraph. Sorry! Still - do the prank and put your postcode in.

Gurke and Hare

I want to see a tiny woodpecker the size of a sparrow now.

Speaking of Rare Bird Alert, a red-winged blackbird tuned up in Ireland yesterday!

BlodwynPig

Nice. Common as muck in Canada, didnt know they would migrate that far

BlodwynPig

Ireland seems to have good journalists still

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/property/homeandoutdoors/arid-20450583.html%3ftype=amp

That doesnt look like a female red winged blackbird in the picture though

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 17, 2021, 11:32:12 AM

14-15cm is sparrow-sized (that's literally the size the rspb site gives for the house sparrow). Greater spotted are noticeably much larger (more thrush sized)

Gurke and Hare

Yeah, that's a female in the picture in the article, but the one spotted was a male. Actually last week, but only tweeted about yesterday.

https://twitter.com/irishbn/status/1405114965388836868

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on June 17, 2021, 01:54:56 PM
14-15cm is sparrow-sized (that's literally the size the rspb site gives for the house sparrow). Greater spotted are noticeably much larger (more thrush sized)

Mind blown here - no way are house sparrows 6 inches long are they?

paruses

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on June 17, 2021, 01:54:56 PM

I forget birds have tail feathers - the idiots. Wish the rspb would give sexy 36-24-36 type measurements.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 17, 2021, 12:26:31 PM
I want to see a tiny woodpecker the size of a sparrow now.

Speaking of Rare Bird Alert, a red-winged blackbird tuned up in Ireland yesterday!

Yes me too. I honestly think it would blow my mind.

Did I see that an Egyptian vulture had rocked up in the Isles of Scilly the other day? Thought Brexit was supposed to stop this sort of thing.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 17, 2021, 12:39:03 PM
Nice. Common as muck in Canada, didnt know they would migrate that far
I think it would be classed as a vagrant rather than a migrant - and then hounded to death by listers.

Gurke and Hare

Had a visit from the neighbourhood wren as well today. No idea how something that tiny[nb]But no doubt somebody's now going to come along and tell me they're actually 4 feet long[/nb] makes such a racket.

paruses

Just checked and a wren is 1/50 the length of a Land Rover Discovery. Just to help you visualise it.

That sounds way to big to me. I think the Rspb are just measuring peacocks.

Gurke and Hare

Who's any good at identifying butterflies/moths?

A moth?

A butterfly?

ZoyzaSorris

Moths - there are literally thousands of species in the UK so can be tricky! This looks like it should be one of the more identifiable ones though, I'll have a look.

The butterfly is one of the blue family, not sure which.

Gurke and Hare

Butterflies are a pain in the arse. Keep your wings open when you land you bastards, let me get a look at you!

paruses

Butterflies are a surprising pain in the arse given there aren't really that many species in the UK.

Given how good your pic is I just had a look through Moths of Great Britain and Ireland, full of confidence, and I can safely say I have no idea. Hope that helps.

jobotic

I'd say your moth is a Burnet Companion

(look at the second photo)

https://butterfly-conservation.org/moths/burnet-companion

paruses

Nice one. I don't feel too bad for not recognising it in the book - the illustrations look like 5 and 8.

jobotic

Seems to be a lot of variation within the same species when it comes to moths. Some much darker than others or different shades.

Had a Garden Carpet find its way into our bathroom last week. I only know about five moths without looking them up so had to look this one up. Looked just like No. 3 here, but 2 and 4 are a lot lighter.

https://butterfly-conservation.org/moths/garden-carpet

jobotic

From the same site Gurke and Hare's butterfly is definitely a Chalk Hill Blue

https://butterfly-conservation.org/butterflies/chalk-hill-blue

Gurke and Hare

Gurke and Hare

It's like a bird nursery in the garden today.

bgmnts

Saw some lovely twig flitters today, two I've never seen before in my life. They were both sparrow size I think
The first had a black breast and head with a yellowish and ornate wings, almost like a Persian rug pattern of green and burgundy with a goldy trim. Amazing.

The second was literally just black and yellow vertically striped, really vibrant yellow. Almost as if it tried to disguise itself as a bumblebee but got mixed up.

Fascinating shit for a non birder.

Gurke and Hare

Shield bug sighting too - a birch shieldbug I think.

paruses

Quote from: bgmnts on June 18, 2021, 02:12:27 PM
Saw some lovely twig flitters today, two I've never seen before in my life. They were both sparrow size I think
The first had a black breast and head with a yellowish and ornate wings, almost like a Persian rug pattern of green and burgundy with a goldy trim. Amazing.

The second was literally just black and yellow vertically striped, really vibrant yellow. Almost as if it tried to disguise itself as a bumblebee but got mixed up.

Fascinating shit for a non birder.

First one sounds like a siskin. Smaller than a sparrow though.

Second one just sounds like a bee. Or a wasp. Will ponder more.

Stripes on the breast?

Loving your pics G&H.

Edit - Sorry is number 1 a goldfinch? Would be more in keeping. I find them really hard to describe but unmistakeable.

bgmnts

Quote from: paruses on June 18, 2021, 03:07:50 PM
First one sounds like a siskin. Smaller than a sparrow though.

Second one just sounds like a bee. Or a wasp. Will ponder more.

Stripes on the breast?

Loving your pics G&H.

I'm self doubting now it could have been just a yellow breast and head with a black body but it looked like stripes at a glance.

Birds are impossible though.

Gurke and Hare

Great tit? That has a yellow breast with a black stripe down the middle of it.