Author Topic: Wildlife spotting  (Read 103623 times)

Jockice

• I really have red hair. And a **********.
Re: Wildlife spotting
« Reply #2370 on: July 20, 2021, 09:06:12 AM »
Bat watching cant be beaten. I have zero night vision now, so those days are over unless i purchase NV goggles. Do enjoy, but dont touch

It sounds brilliant. Think I should take my binoculars? Someone gave them to me years ago but I've never used them.

New page brought in to bat

phes

• operating as a shape
« Reply #2371 on: July 20, 2021, 10:26:40 AM »
Depends how far away they are. Bats are fast and agile so you'd struggle to find a use for binocular unless there were many and far away. Can't hurt to take them but I suspect you'll get more pleasure watching without

Jockice

• I really have red hair. And a **********.
« Reply #2372 on: July 20, 2021, 10:37:26 AM »
Depends how far away they are. Bats are fast and agile so you'd struggle to find a use for binocular unless there were many and far away. Can't hurt to take them but I suspect you'll get more pleasure watching without

I'll take them down just in case. Cheers. It's not till next month and I'm already excited.

Endicott

• I've done no research
« Reply #2373 on: July 20, 2021, 02:59:04 PM »
Just saw two sparrows having a right barney. Not sure what happened, one probably did too many 'your mum' gags. The nearest one's got its foot on the other one's head.

« Reply #2374 on: July 20, 2021, 03:13:05 PM »
I think that's two dunnocks. It looks like they are doing Brazilian ju jitsu. Are you sure they aren't just training?

Spoon of Ploff

• visitors are welcome to Sheerness
« Reply #2375 on: July 20, 2021, 03:19:37 PM »

Endicott

• I've done no research
« Reply #2376 on: July 20, 2021, 03:26:19 PM »
I think that's two dunnocks. It looks like they are doing Brazilian ju jitsu. Are you sure they aren't just training?

Pretty sure I heard one of them twittering 'You cahhnnt!' but you can never be sure.

Thanks for the dunnocks hint, I reckon you could be right about that.

I first spotted them hopping about with their feathers all puffed up, chasing each other about the fence. Next minute, BUNDLE! I was surprised they were still at it after I'd gotten my camera.

phes

• operating as a shape
« Reply #2377 on: July 20, 2021, 03:28:36 PM »
Agreed they are dunnocks. Probably two males

« Reply #2378 on: July 22, 2021, 01:03:23 AM »
Rescued a dragonfly out of the workshop at 10pm tonight. Well chuffed.

It appeared about half seven but went off into the gaps in the roofing panels in search of escape so we thought it was a gonner but it came back down once it went dark. Think it was a Brown Hawker but didn't hang about looking at it once it was in the bucket. Tipped it onto a high spot and away it went.

We had one a couple of years ago that didn't make it. Ended up taking it home and putting it on a hot water bottle and offering it dead flies.

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
« Reply #2379 on: July 22, 2021, 11:22:06 AM »
Haven't been keeping up with this thread recently, don't know why.  Weird really.  Anyway, just thought I'd report a bat.  Came into the restaurant last night.  Saw it full-on, right in the face, as it flew directly over my head.  Beautiful teeth. 

« Reply #2380 on: July 25, 2021, 05:05:19 PM »
Finally got five minutes on a computer, so . . . .

this is the dragonfly that didnt survive and now lives on a treasure shelf

this is the one that did survive (its upside down - for some reason it kept turning itself wrong way up, which really helped with getting it into the bucket)

phes

• operating as a shape
« Reply #2381 on: July 25, 2021, 05:12:03 PM »
Busy weekend for wildlife. Found a queen bee that had been trapped in my apartment for 24 hours. Appeared close to death but after 90 minutes of gently propping it upright while it drunk sugar water it eventually took off. Have you ever seen a bee drink?  They have a tongue that is 7-8mm long. And this afternoon while having a pint in the kirkstall bridge on the river Aire I saw a Kingfisher fly by, my first in a couple of years.

BlodwynPig

• The Last Living Member of COVID-20
« Reply #2382 on: July 25, 2021, 05:14:17 PM »
Not to be left out, I saved a couple of flying ants yesterday.

Blue Jam

• YOU COULDN'T MANAGE A HAM SANDWICH
« Reply #2383 on: July 25, 2021, 05:50:47 PM »
Just went for a bit of a hike round Arthur's Seat. Heard lots of pops and crackles, which I realised were coming from the gorse bushes, and probably the sound of the seed pods drying out in the sun and popping en masse. Cool.

Also saw lots of randy butterflies.

Attila

• gif made by hedgehog90
« Reply #2384 on: July 26, 2021, 09:43:35 AM »
The camera's been playing up for the past week or so, but it seems to be in working order again.

I like to lie out on the back lawn to watch the ISS pass overhead, and one evening last week was joined by a hedgehog: s/he was bumbling around the garden and just bimbled up to me while I was lying there. Scooted off when I asked, 'Are you sure you want to get this close?'

Meanwhile, the young foxes have decided that Mr Attila's collection of outdoor scrub brushes are the best toys ever, and every morning we find them at various places in the garden or on the driveway. He thinks they stole one of his best bike-cleaning brushes, but that's what you get for leaving them out.

« Reply #2385 on: Today at 12:51:26 PM »
Don’t know what this tiny beauty was but it was very lovely. I tried to use Butterfly Conservation identifier but I’m none the wiser.

Tags: