Author Topic: Wildlife spotting  (Read 6665 times)

BlodwynPig

• Throwing two dogs at a goblin
Re: Wildlife spotting
« Reply #240 on: April 10, 2019, 05:49:38 PM »

Flatulent Fox

• I owe it all to Onions.
« Reply #241 on: April 11, 2019, 04:21:40 PM »
Last summer I was camped along the Macrihanish coast.After a late night camp fire booze up* I awoke and started to get a brew on the stove.
I happend to look up across the road into the hills was a large herd of Llamas watching me quietly with interest.
Unexpected and surreal.

I hit the vodka while I observed them,they are cool animals.

*During which the wind was almost gale force and my brothers new tent dissapeared in the darkness leaving only a bag of cans where it once stood.

« Reply #242 on: April 13, 2019, 08:37:10 PM »
Saw a muntjac while walking my dog this morning. Pretty mundane for those of you that live in more rural spots but for me, living in an urban area less than two miles from Molineux stadium as the crow flies (or the muntjac trots), it was quite a thrill. Perhaps I should get out more.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #243 on: April 13, 2019, 10:16:43 PM »
Pretty productive day on the first warmish day of the year

- downy woodpecker
- bald eagles and chick - parent being hounded by seagulls for the fish in its claws
- wood ducks
- vultures
- fed some trumpeter swans and canadian goose from hand - dont know if peanuts will kill them
- heard the frog chorus but they were hidden in the dry reeds
- the canadian hells angels doing a funeral cortege for a fallen comrade, it was awesome and slightly scary. Last week my colleague drove me through the seedy industrial area of Hamilton and pointed out their former club house. I asked if they were the real deal criminal gang... “yup”. Anyway it was impressive to see them in full regalia with the coffin riding side saddle, but there was a tangible menace, even in the full sunlight. Later a few came down into the marshes for no apparent reason (perhaps dead angel liked the wildlife), i thought they were going to crush the goose but they went around him
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 10:42:46 PM by BlodwynPig »

BlodwynPig

« Reply #244 on: April 13, 2019, 10:30:48 PM »
Oh and a pair of canadian kingfishers courting

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
« Reply #245 on: April 14, 2019, 04:55:18 PM »
Couple of boars ran away terrified from me last night, I could see their full hoggishness in the moonlight.  And a stone marten.  Pretty nice.  Also lots of swallowtail butterflies flipping about.  No hoopoes.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #246 on: April 14, 2019, 05:15:49 PM »
Those poor hoggers - they normally use the hoopoes as lookout for human disturbers, but I guess the hoopoes had other things on their minds

BlodwynPig

« Reply #247 on: April 14, 2019, 05:21:24 PM »
Vultures on the church in Westdale

Banded woolybear (coincidentally the last creature I saw on my last hike before winter kicked in)

Gartersnake

Trumpeter swan

Downy woodpecker

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
  • Very tired. Sorry if my recent posts are shit.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #248 on: April 14, 2019, 06:50:31 PM »
Hamilton seems to be like a zoo with town/university attached

BlodwynPig

« Reply #249 on: April 14, 2019, 06:59:18 PM »
Hamilton seems to be like a zoo with town/university attached

Canada, in general, outside of Downtown Toronto.

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
« Reply #250 on: April 14, 2019, 09:35:56 PM »
Nice woolybear especially.  I was made terribly ill by handling a similar-looking caterpillar (that was in Africa though).  Be on your guard, nevertheless.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #251 on: April 14, 2019, 10:12:37 PM »
Nice woolybear especially.  I was made terribly ill by handling a similar-looking caterpillar (that was in Africa though).  Be on your guard, nevertheless.

thanks - didn't realise

here's one not to mess with - the puss caterpillar

Mr_Simnock

• BREXIT? what brexit
« Reply #252 on: April 17, 2019, 08:56:42 PM »
There has always been a couple bats fly round my back garden every night from around early April to the end of September. Tonight though there are about 4 of them farting around, wonder if some of them are young ones?