Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:31:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting

Started by Twit 2, August 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Attila on June 11, 2019, 10:19:00 PM
Mr Gus contributes plenty, trust me. He's constantly backing up to stuff and arse-twizzling all over it. There's a sequence of photos on the wildlife camera of him shamelessly anointing the lilies.

Catpisser the lilies

Attila

Spooky nighttime fox

Mr Badger was back

BlodwynPig

So what better way to cheer someone up when returning to dull Britain after 2 years away than an evening stroll after a hot summery day. Didnt see anything but the sounds were bucolic and suitably mournful / nostalgic. Heard a new sound and i guessed fox cubs - back home this seems to be confirmed. Also a strange hoot / cry that was not owl.

Audio paradise if not visual

BlodwynPig

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: paruses on June 28, 2019, 04:01:36 PM
Solitary bee week next week everyone.....

https://blog.nhbs.com/nhbs-collections/equipment-collections/solitary-bee-week/

Great call, may have to get on this, might get that book they are suggesting, solitary bees are like the CaBbers of the Hymenopteran community. Spotted two yellow-legged nomad bees ferreting around my brickwork the other day, look almost exactly like wasps, they nick other solitary bees' nests, cheeky buggers.

ZoyzaSorris

Had a lovely hour or two cavorting around the beautiful meadows of Brockley and Ladywell Cemetery, not a soul there, felt like I was in the middle of the country, except not a blasted and scoured agribusiness-devoured catastrophe. Teeming with marbled whites, ringlets, skippers, painted ladys, cinnabar moths and all sorts of other beasts. Bliss.

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on June 28, 2019, 05:08:17 PM
Had a lovely hour or two cavorting around the beautiful meadows of Brockley and Ladywell Cemetery, not a soul there, felt like I was in the middle of the country, except not a blasted and scoured agribusiness-devoured catastrophe. Teeming with marbled whites, ringlets, skippers, painted ladys, cinnabar moths and all sorts of other beasts. Bliss.

Fields at the back o' the flats are much the same. hundreds of Meadow Browns, with a few Ringlets, Marbled Whites, Small Tortoiseshell, Commas, Painted Ladies, Common Blues to name but a few. A few dragonflies darking back and forth and overhead the swallows/swifts doing acrobatics accompanied by the rapping of skylarks.

Got to make the most of this time. Land's up for consideration for housing development.

Ferris

Nearly hit another whitetail deer (+fawn) on the Halifax peninsula. No photo because too busy standing on the brakes

Mr_Simnock

Having left my lawn not mowed for a good few weeks now it's become somewhat meadow like. I was starting to mow just half an hour ago but i'v spotted lots of damsel flies so leaving it till tomorrow once they have mated.

Twit 2

Lovely portrait video of a barn owl fucking about on the river t'other day:

https://streamable.com/m5v0o

Blue Jam

Quote from: paruses on June 28, 2019, 04:01:36 PM
Solitary bee week next week everyone.....

https://blog.nhbs.com/nhbs-collections/equipment-collections/solitary-bee-week/

Got this pic of a fatass bumblebee last weekend, in the beer garden at the Dalriada pub next to Portobello beach:

Bit o' digital zoom going on, I didn't get that close. My new phone can be a bit rubbish but I'm pretty chuffed with the camera, I must say.

Blue Jam

I also saw a Robin yesterday, tried to get a photo of it but didn't manage to grab my phone before it flew away. It's June, bit late in the year for you mate...

paruses

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on June 29, 2019, 12:30:42 PM
Having left my lawn not mowed for a good few weeks now it's become somewhat meadow like. I was starting to mow just half an hour ago but i'v spotted lots of damsel flies so leaving it till tomorrow once they have mated.

So now you're some sort of insect pimp? Disgusting.

Quite envious of all this insect and butterfly spotting. Bit of a dearth around me at the moment although I did see a speckled wood the other day.

Birds doing well though - tonnes of siskin in the garden and skylarks and meadow pipits nesting on the estuary.

A juvenile crow landed in the garden the other day and followed me around for a bit. I was excited at the prospect of having a semi-tame crow but it's moved on now.

paruses

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 29, 2019, 12:49:31 PM
I also saw a Robin yesterday, tried to get a photo of it but didn't manage to grab my phone before it flew away. It's June, bit late in the year for you mate...

How so? (Sorry if I missing an obvious joke). Saw. Couple of juvenile robins bouncing around the woods the other day. I like them because they look like a robin wearing a different outfit just for a bit of a change.

Blue Jam

Living in Edinburgh, I see juvenile cuntbeaks around here all the time. I hear them more than I see them though- that shrill screech they make, fucking hell...

Ferris

Monarch butterfly in Toronto. Did a shite job of flying away, I can see why they are endangered.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 29, 2019, 01:30:49 PM
Monarch butterfly in Toronto. Did a shite job of flying away, I can see why they are endangered.

Can you go and check up on my chipmunks?

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 29, 2019, 01:55:56 PM
Can you go and check up on my chipmunks?

On the east coast at the mo, dodging deer and getting rained on.

Will do a full chipmunk report when I'm back in Ontario

the ouch cube

Yellow-necked mouse vanishing into its burrow: I waited for a few seconds and it re-emerged and fussed around.

I have named it Abstract Mouse after a Frank Black lyric, because having a yellow neck is weird.

Buelligan

Found a baby hoopoe yesterday, fallen from its nest in the barn at work, fully feathered but a bit wee for fully flying.  Decided best course of action was to lift it gently and place it a couple of metres away in a corner where it wouldn't have as much chance of being trodden on by clients.  I made a little place where he could hide there.  The nest was five metres or more above me so no chance of helping it to get home.  Sleepless boiling night with fevered dreams of tiny huppe crying for his mummy... hope the little darling's OK.

Artist's impression

BlodwynPig

Finally a hoopoe story from you!

Next, i'd like a whippoorwill story that doesnt involve yogsothoth

Buelligan

Thanks, I'm not sure I'll oblige.  Oddly, on the hoopoes, found a wing feather there some weeks ago and didn't think to look upwards, this is the kind of tit I am.  Have the wing feather now.  A small lovely thing.

Twit 2

Was mooching around Blakeney Point last night and the path was full of frogs with cool patterns that don't show up on my crappy phone camera:

Lots of birds about too, of course, including another barn owl sighting.

BlodwynPig

Buelligan

I bloody love Blakeney, out in the naked sky in the winter's wind and the endless sand and no human print at all.  All the lumbering seals in their sleeping bags.  And a bird dot high in the white air.

Twit 2

Also, you can see people coming for miles, which is why I was able to fuck my wife over a gate. No frogs harmed.

Buelligan

I don't have a wife but thanks for sharing.  Heheh.

Ferris

Quote from: Twit 2 on June 30, 2019, 04:26:18 PM
Also, you can see people coming for miles, which is why I was able to fuck my wife over a gate. No frogs harmed.

Sounds like it!

Howj Begg

Quote from: paruses on June 29, 2019, 12:55:32 PM
How so? (Sorry if I missing an obvious joke).

Yah Robins are year-round visitors. I think they don't migrate.

Had a small flock of wrens feeding, playing and I believe courting in the garden today.