Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:46:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting

Started by Twit 2, August 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Howj Begg on June 30, 2019, 05:33:25 PM
Yah Robins are year-round visitors. I think they don't migrate.

I was going to say that the other day, but only as a guess.

Back to UK, back to boring wildlife, but they are actually quite interesting. A blackbird lifted a tossed (slightly mouldy) strawberry from the garden today.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Twit 2 on June 30, 2019, 04:26:18 PM
Also, you can see people coming for miles, which is why I was able to fuck my wife over a gate. No frogs harmed.

Def toad not frog, could be the rare natterjack toad in that location by the looks!

BlodwynPig

gib

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have the natterjack's stripe.

Twit 2

I'm out on the boat again and just as I spotted the barn owl my friend saw a kingfisher. Went to get a video of it just as it dropped into the water and caught a fish. You can just about make it out flying the fuck past.

https://streamable.com/n1tc4

https://streamable.com/kcdoi

Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

Ferris

It's my whitetail from last week! Guess it's migrating

Dex Sawash

Shit' didn't spot that. Meant to show that pair of power walkers.

Maurice Yeatman

I thought you meant the clown.

Spoon of Ploff

been a mostly good summer for butterflies in these here parts. other insects are available... a lot of sunshine and just enough rain to keep the flowering plants happy.

Couple o Ringlets having a barny... probably after getting pissed up on nectar

BlodwynPig

Painted lady invasion reaches Newcastle

I'm not entirely sure what these are. They weren't as big as they appear in these pics if that helps.

BlodwynPig

bgmnts

Love watching a bee shag a flower.

Oh, they're bees are they? I'm not much of a naturist.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on August 05, 2019, 06:01:47 PM
Oh, they're bees are they? I'm not much of a naturist.

Top one may be a honey bee and the bottom a type of bumble bee (bombina bombina or something)

ZoyzaSorris

Top one is the honey bee mimic Eristalis tenax aka the drone fly I think.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on July 29, 2019, 04:08:35 PM
been a mostly good summer for butterflies in these here parts. other insects are available... a lot of sunshine and just enough rain to keep the flowering plants happy.

Couple o Ringlets having a barny... probably after getting pissed up on nectar

Do love a ringlet - has a good array of grassland butterflies and browns in the garden this year, pretty much the full range one could hope for - gatekeeper, meadow brown, ringlet, marbled white, speckled wood and large skipper. Seems a good year for butterflies in general here. Lovely stuff.

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on August 05, 2019, 07:36:19 PM
Top one is the honey bee mimic Eristalis tenax aka the drone fly I think.

Is it? Shows how much I know - it looked and sounded very bee-like to me. The other one's like a little cuddly teddy bear (but also made bee-type noises). Anyway, they're not wasps so that's good. Those little black-and-yellow bastards ruined my alfresco lunch later that day. Who knew the little shits are so fond of salmon and cream cheese bagels?

ZoyzaSorris

Its definitely a hoverfly - you can see it has two, not four wings, and the very large eyes and small antennae compared with a real bee.

How can I have lived my whole life, surrounded by all Nature's wonders in the Garden of Eden that is the Black Country, and yet know so little? I must be a right thick cunt.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on August 05, 2019, 08:56:36 PM
How can I have lived my whole life, surrounded by all Nature's wonders in the Garden of Eden that is the Black Country, and yet know so little? I must be a right thick cunt.

Give over

ZoyzaSorris

It's jersey tiger season! Always cheers me up seeing these gaudy fellas come August.

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on August 06, 2019, 12:55:43 PM
It's jersey tiger season! Always cheers me up seeing these gaudy fellas come August.

nice,,, i've not seen anything that colourful round these parts 'ere parts.

Twit 2

Am helping the council count moths on Saturday night.

Twit 2

Well I had great fun. We were based in Norwich's main cemetery, which is fucking enormous. Couple of moth traps going off generators. We were there till 1 am and counted 50 different species of moth. We also had a bat sonar detector and went tramping around listening to bats. Also spotted 4 hedgehogs, a fox and an enormous fallow deer. The land has never been interfered with, sprayed or excessively cut back so it's absolutely teeming with wildlife and interesting flora. In the wake of all the environmental concerns it felt great to be a part of this. The moth experts were lovely to talk to, they could identify moths and give their latin binomials like it ain't no thang. Some of the moths viewed under magnifying glass were stunning.

ZoyzaSorris

Would love a bit of the old moth trapping. Been meaning to knock up a DIY black light battery one to take to the woods.

Brian Freeze

Ive been thinking for a while now that  I prefer the moths to the butterflies, being up all night means I get to see plenty. Had a few last week that I've not looked up yet. Will stick photo up when I do.

Had some wildlife over the weekend, an excellent silhouette of a woodpecker doing its thing at the top of some bare branches that we could all see. And tried to rescue a Hawker dragonfly with a hot water bottle and dead flies. Used a paintbrush to clean its thorax too as it was quite dusty. Sad news though.

gib

Saw two mini eagles fighting each other for ages, mainly in the air. I reckon sparrowhawks from the grey banding under the tail-arse but i am hopeless at hawk ID. Anyway a woodpigeon kept joining in, all 3 of them screeching and crashing through the trees like nobody's business.