Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:12:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting

Started by Twit 2, August 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

A Kestrel came into the back garden, launched itself into a hedge to try and get something, and I think it did it's talon in, because it stood there on one leg for about half an hour afterwards before it flew off.

Spoon of Ploff

Speaking of Kestrels...

I saw three of the blighters today, flying around and getting into barnies with each other and the local crows/magpies (the inset image took place during a brief truce).

Gurke and Hare

Working from home's excellent.

SQUAWK!

bgmnts

Why is that bird shouting at a tree?

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on April 07, 2020, 07:47:20 PM
Why is that bird shouting at a tree?

OI TREE ARE YOU LOOKING AT MY BIRD

BlodwynPig

MiddleRabbit

I've been taking my daily walk at about 11pm to avoid the crowd.  Lots of foxes around and about.  The other night, one was attempting to get me to chase it by taunting me, keeping a few yards ahead and prancing around on the grass verges.  Unfortunately, I'd gone out without a red jacket and twenty or thirty dickheads on horseback and fifty or so hounds.  With regret, Reynard had the last laugh.

Unnecessary

An egg just rolled down the street.

bgmnts

Actually need some advice here, are these sloeberries or laurel berries?

BlodwynPig

I just asked the same question yesterday

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Unnecessary on April 08, 2020, 12:42:56 PM
An egg just rolled down the street.

Ferlilised or non-fertilised?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on April 08, 2020, 02:01:52 PM
That's ivy. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedera_helix

small white egg on ground, smooth and matte, about the size of half a thumb. What bird?

gib

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 08, 2020, 03:09:49 PM
small white egg on ground, smooth and matte, about the size of half a thumb. What bird?

pure white or some speckling?

BlodwynPig

Buelligan

How big?  Do you have ostriches in the area, if so, be gang warily.  They can be irritable.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on April 08, 2020, 03:32:18 PM
How big?  Do you have ostriches in the area, if so, be gang warily.  They can be irritable.

as I said, half a thumb. I can get a picture if you like, I've put it next to the rhubarb for the slugs to have a chew on

Buelligan

Oh, half a thumb's quite large.  If it was my thumb, I'd say it's likely a pigeon.  But there are other less common birds that could be the culprit if I'm being honest. 

I once found a robin's egg, very beautiful.  I made it a little bag from a piece of one of my mother's stockings and wore it like a pendant for weeks hoping to hatch it.  Had to give up in the end but gave it a decent burial.  Heartbreaking.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on April 08, 2020, 03:52:48 PM
Oh, half a thumb's quite large.  If it was my thumb, I'd say it's likely a pigeon.  But there are other less common birds that could be the culprit if I'm being honest. 

I once found a robin's egg, very beautiful.  I made it a little bag from a piece of one of my mother's stockings and wore it like a pendant for weeks hoping to hatch it.  Had to give up in the end but gave it a decent burial.  Heartbreaking.

You are right, Collared Dove...we have a couple of nesting pairs around the garden, loyal beasts

the midnight watch baboon

Sorry to break the egg chat...

Last year in Colorado. Last stop before Rocky Mountains NP. Where Stephen King stayed en route to his stay at the Stanley Hotel I believe. We went from stretching legs to spotting this lovely moose having a bit of a lay down in a lake, probably thinking about whether Dr. Sleep will fare well on its release- both commercially AND critically?!!!?

It charged us soon after I'd stopped taking the last pic, and we got told off for standing our ground rather than legging it. Luckily it decided to peg it into the woods rather than mow down a coupla gawping Brits.

"Y'all need to run when you see a big, darned moose charging at y'all," said the moose.

BlodwynPig

lovely - reminds me of the one I saw in Utah with its calf (the Swiss guy with me saying "it's only a cow" - he didn't mean the female moose cow either)

the midnight watch baboon

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 08, 2020, 04:17:45 PM
lovely - reminds me of the one I saw in Utah with its calf (the Swiss guy with me saying "it's only a cow" - he didn't mean the female moose cow either)

Cool :) we also saw deer, marmots, a golden eagle, bighorn sheep on this holiday. The usual chipmunks. No bears or mountain lions this time :(

bgmnts

"It's only a cow" as if cow's are shit.

Fucking cunt.

bgmnts

The local squirrel, he seems to have free reign of these flats and the trees around it. Fat cunt has probably gone through an entire loaf of bread, slice by slice. He was struggling to haul it up the tree but he managed it.

Now he's just sat there, eating away.

BlodwynPig

Cwmbran is really a box of delights...

1st that drunk-drug driving woman and now this!

bgmnts

Don't insult the squirrels.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 08, 2020, 03:09:49 PM

I know you've got your answer but I can thoroughly recommend getting a copy of The Observer book of birds eggs. A lovely little book with hand painted examples to scale of the eggs of British birds.

There's plenty on that Ebay from the sixties for around a fiver and if you are lucky it may have once belonged to a genuine real life nest robber.

Brian Freeze

Quiz answers coming later. Please dont shoot the messenger.

Cerys

I should have encountered many spiders in the kitchen today.  I encountered no spiders.  At all.  Not even one.

What gives?