Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:03:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Diabetes

Started by Small Man Big Horse, August 06, 2018, 01:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pdine

Deleted long dull explanation post but bottom line: record everything in an app which tells you what you've actually consumed in terms of sugar, protein etc. It sounds like a fucking awful idea until you do it and realise it's liberating.

5:2 diet might be an easy way to lose some weight, some people struggle with it to start with but it gets easier.

The thing that would petrify me most into controlling the 'beetus is the idea that you can lose a foot from gangrene. A guy I used to work with was undiagnosed until he had to go into hospital to have part of his foot removed, it didn't stop the gangrene and they had to do 2 further operations and the amputations ended at the knee. Just imagine going through three separate operations of that magnitude....

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Jumblegraws on August 06, 2018, 07:19:02 PM
Understood, hope you keep everyone posted on how you're doing.

Thanks, and will do.

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on August 06, 2018, 07:24:37 PM
Sorry to hear this SMBH, that's pure arse. Are you still subject to restrictions on how many nice relaxing "walks" you can have?

Due to the knee and anti-depressants I am, but hopefully the fitter I am the more I'll be able to have.

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on August 06, 2018, 08:01:37 PM
keto

Mrs SMBH suggested that earlier, going to run it by my doctor just to make sure it's okay to do and then look in to it further.

Quote from: Pdine on August 06, 2018, 08:12:35 PM
Deleted long dull explanation post but bottom line: record everything in an app which tells you what you've actually consumed in terms of sugar, protein etc. It sounds like a fucking awful idea until you do it and realise it's liberating.

That sounds like a good idea, I use an app to tell me how much I've saved by not smoking (£2,541.45 as of today!) and that's been really helpful.

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on August 06, 2018, 08:28:08 PM
5:2 diet might be an easy way to lose some weight, some people struggle with it to start with but it gets easier.

The thing that would petrify me most into controlling the 'beetus is the idea that you can lose a foot from gangrene. A guy I used to work with was undiagnosed until he had to go into hospital to have part of his foot removed, it didn't stop the gangrene and they had to do 2 further operations and the amputations ended at the knee. Just imagine going through three separate operations of that magnitude....

Yeah, if left untreated it can be all a bit hideous. One of my Uncles (the one who isn't an actor) was diagnosed with it a couple of years ago and refused to go to the doctors for ages and now he's almost blind due to it.

There's a really good recent episode of the Stuff You Should Know podcast about diabetes. I didn't realise that the difference between the types is that with 1 your body fails to produce insulin and with 2 your cells fail to process glucose (at least that's what I gathered from it). Also the reason for the danger of infections/blindness is that the large amount glucose in your bloodstream makes your blood thick which reduces your circulation and the bodies ability to fight infections at extremities.

Pdine

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 06, 2018, 08:29:55 PM
Thanks, and will do.Yeah, if left untreated it can be all a bit hideous. One of my Uncles (the one who isn't an actor) was diagnosed with it a couple of years ago and refused to go to the doctors for ages and now he's almost blind due to it.

Yeah... Tracy Morgan needed a kidney transplant after ignoring his (reputedly purchased from his bodyguard).

Sebastian Cobb

Get on the huel lad.

Dex Sawash

Mr Farenheit

Diagnosed with type 2 when I turned forty. Was overjoyed at the time because I'd had a few months of pretty strong symptons before realising what it was- weight loss, fatigue, constant thirst, peeing all the time and..... phimosis!

Started on insulin for 3 months but now take a pill at breakfast and dinner and doctor is happy with my levels.
It can actually lead to a healthier lifestyle if you take it seriously as it forces you to think about your lifetstlye and what you eat and drink. I know I didn't pre-diagnosis and I found out that I was pretty uneducated about it all!

If you can try and see a nutritionist- I saw one a few times when first diagnosed and it was a great help. You have to keep a food (and drink) diary and they'll ask you what your typical diet is pre-diagnosis. Be honest about it and they'll give you invaluable insights/advice. I personally had always assumed I had a healthy balanced diet and so was surprised to learn that one third of my calories were coming from beer!

Get yer h1abc test every 3 months (gives you an idea of your average blood sugar level over a 3 month period) a diabetic eye test every year and like others have said apps are great. I have one to record blood sugar readings, another to search different foods' nutrition etc.(mainly to count carbs) and its good to record what you're eating and drinking.

Quisby

Got diagnosed 13 years ago and was initially quite confused and upset - felt like my body was rebelling against me and it was a major warning of mortality. But I lost some weight, sorted out my diet a bit and now I'm probably healthier than I've ever been. It now has almost no effect on my life except I take Metformin to reduce blood sugar, and occasionally prick myself to get a blood sugar reading. I get checked up every year - and my blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, kidney and liver functions are all good. You also need to get your retinas and feet checked every year as its the smallest nerves in your body that are affected first. I still drink alcohol and eat chocolate and stuff. I initially went on a super healthy binge - the dietician said that  was good if I could maintain it but most people fall by the wayside and that's fine, its not about cutting all these things out altogether just about getting a balance of healthy stuff and less healthy treats.

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks for the advice you two, it's greatly appreciated. Due to the late night leg spasms I've been having a shitty time of it trying to get to sleep, last night was the first night I managed to catch up but ended up getting 11 hours, and now I can't sleep at all!

Bence Fekete

When I get stoned these most days I make sure I have a never-ending supply of 'be good to yourself' gluten free Rice Cakes which I crunch up in a bucket.  It's not quite cake but it satisfies the monster for the most part and you can basically eat continuously with zero side effects. 

Couple of sugar subs I'm also enjoying:

oats + currants + rice-milk = frosties
crushed up smoothie ice-lollies = reduced sugar ice-cream sub

Next plan is to hack asparagus into some kind of fudge.   

Small Man Big Horse

Thought I'd bump this to ramble on a bit. Have to say the first month was bloody horrible, as mentioned before I have a terrible relationship with food and used to comfort eat a great deal, so to suddenly not be able to eat so many of my favourite foods left me miserable. Going shopping was a bleak experience too, seeing all the things I'd love to buy but couldn't, and Mrs SMBH had to put up with some terrible mood swings and shitty behaviour. Oh yeah, and I had to give up ketchup too, and as long standing readers will know my addiction sickened most people, understandably though.

Fortunately things have slowly improved, mainly thanks to my lovely other half who has been investigating what I can eat and trying to find replacements for what I used to love. And on the plus side I went to my GP last week and discovered that my blood sugar count was really low again, and that I've lost two stone in weight. Now I really needed to lose that, as I'd crept up to being 21 and a half stone and had a lot of self-hatred going on, so knowing I've lost the weight has cheered me up no end, especially as that should continue given the diet and exercise I'm now doing. So hopefully by next summer I might even be vaguely average weight wise and no longer fat for the first time in about 15 years, which would be nice, if only because it'd mean my knee should improve with much less weight on it.

So, um, yeah, turns out having diabetes might actually have been a really good thing, at least for my health in the long run...

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Im currently having a BBQ shrimp breakfast in new orleans - diabetes aint so bad

Small Man Big Horse

Cheers Blodders, though I despise shrimp so will never join you for such a thing. An orgy, yes, but shrimp, dear god no.

bgmnts

As a mega fattie i have started to dread the thought of diabetes but seems like a bit of inevitablity now. This thread helps.

Small Man Big Horse

Well I made it to 44, so you might not need to worry yet. Plus a family member has it which might be why I do, not all overweight people are destined to get it.

Z

my dad had crazy diabetes and spent our whole childhoods shovelling sugar down our throats. Apparently I'm not diabetic atm (think I got 5.2 on the most recent read?) but I'm expecting it to just wind up happening at some point

tookish

Sorry I missed this, SMBH, been a right self-absorbed cunt these past months. Very, very proud of you for taking good steps to ensure your health in the future. And what a tremendous weight-loss!

What are you finding are the best replacement foods? (Being nosy now but I'm trying to reduce my sugar & fat intake as post-stroke my stomach carries all my fat & I'm a right gutlord.)

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: tookish on September 29, 2018, 07:20:46 PM
Sorry I missed this, SMBH, been a right self-absorbed cunt these past months. Very, very proud of you for taking good steps to ensure your health in the future. And what a tremendous weight-loss!

What are you finding are the best replacement foods? (Being nosy now but I'm trying to reduce my sugar & fat intake as post-stroke my stomach carries all my fat & I'm a right gutlord.)

There's so no need to apologise, I know you've been having a really tough time of it. And all thanks should go to Mrs SMBH who is the one who's keeping me alive, if I was having to do this alone I don't think I'd have managed it at all.

Food wise I'm tending to have white meat or fish and lots and lots of vegetables. No potatoes and only occasionally some bread (and even then it's Hovis Nimble which has a low carb rate) and no chocolate or anything like that. Well, bar the odd treat day, and jesus, does it feel amazing when I have some, it's really given me a new appreciation of the stuff! I also have some fruit, though it tends to be only two pieces a day as a lot has a fair amount of sugar in it.

BlodwynPig

Man, i applaud your diligence. I was like that for 8 years until university. I'll be dead no doubt before you. My advice is that you can go whole hog or dabble occasionally.

Louisiana gumbo tonight!

Dex Sawash

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 29, 2018, 11:25:41 PM
Man, i applaud your diligence.
I was like that for 8 years until university.
I'll be dead no doubt before you.
My advice is that you can go whole hog or dabble occasionally.

Louisiana gumbo tonight!

<accordion solo>

Barry Admin

Good man yourself, and I'm glad you've got the other half doing such a great job of looking after you, it makes it much easier when you have support. Keep eating healthy and dropping the weight, you're smashing it.

tookish

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 29, 2018, 11:19:46 PM
There's so no need to apologise, I know you've been having a really tough time of it. And all thanks should go to Mrs SMBH who is the one who's keeping me alive, if I was having to do this alone I don't think I'd have managed it at all.

Food wise I'm tending to have white meat or fish and lots and lots of vegetables. No potatoes and only occasionally some bread (and even then it's Hovis Nimble which has a low carb rate) and no chocolate or anything like that. Well, bar the odd treat day, and jesus, does it feel amazing when I have some, it's really given me a new appreciation of the stuff! I also have some fruit, though it tends to be only two pieces a day as a lot has a fair amount of sugar in it.

I'm very glad you have Mrs. SMBH to help you along, but it's still something to be really proud of. Combating emotional eating is a real challenge!

Saving chocolate for a treat is a great idea, it's gorgeous stuff but it does get habitual if you let it - I seldom have crisps these days and when I do they're an utter delight.

BlodwynPig

Johnny Textface

Regards weed. Anyone else use a herb vape for it? Not quite as tasty as good jay, but gets you smashed.

Mrs Textface has type 1 diabetes and controls it via a nifty insulin pump. Works for her.

Enzo

Another type 2er checking in.

Was diagnosed 3 years ago at 32, wasn't obese or anything (definitely overweight though), but due to a mix of other shite autoimmune diseases, family history I was unaware of (My old man diagnosed after me, grandfather diagnosed a couple of years before), chocolate addiction and no exercise, a routine blood test showed my blood sugar at 25.

I now take metformin once a day and stopped the chocolate and sweets, it's not been too bad, lost 2 stone and feel a lot better. Sugars are generally very good now. Starting a diet education course tomorrow, which I hope will give me the impetus to push on and reverse it.

Best of luck with it, it can feel like the end of the world at first, but soon you realize that the diagnosis is actually an excellent chance to change habits.

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks to everyone for their kind words, it is appreciated and makes it all a bit easier.

Quote from: Enzo on September 30, 2018, 11:13:26 AM
Another type 2er checking in.

Was diagnosed 3 years ago at 32, wasn't obese or anything (definitely overweight though), but due to a mix of other shite autoimmune diseases, family history I was unaware of (My old man diagnosed after me, grandfather diagnosed a couple of years before), chocolate addiction and no exercise, a routine blood test showed my blood sugar at 25.

I now take metformin once a day and stopped the chocolate and sweets, it's not been too bad, lost 2 stone and feel a lot better. Sugars are generally very good now. Starting a diet education course tomorrow, which I hope will give me the impetus to push on and reverse it.

Best of luck with it, it can feel like the end of the world at first, but soon you realize that the diagnosis is actually an excellent chance to change habits.

I'm on metformin too which seems to help a lot, though I'd be quite interested in going on a diet education course too as there's a lot of arguments online as to how you should eat, on the facebook groups I'm a member of there's been quite a few angry fights which is dismaying to read.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Johnny Textface on September 30, 2018, 09:32:21 AM
Regards weed. Anyone else use a herb vape for it? Not quite as tasty as good jay, but gets you smashed.

Mrs Textface has type 1 diabetes and controls it via a nifty insulin pump. Works for her.

did she have problems with control prior?

Johnny Textface

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 30, 2018, 03:32:45 PM
did she have problems with control prior?

No her controls always been pretty consistent. But she was getting problems with the sites / skin where the needles were going in.