Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:42:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Diabetes

Started by Small Man Big Horse, August 06, 2018, 01:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enzo

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 30, 2018, 02:16:32 PM
Thanks to everyone for their kind words, it is appreciated and makes it all a bit easier.

I'm on metformin too which seems to help a lot, though I'd be quite interested in going on a diet education course too as there's a lot of arguments online as to how you should eat, on the facebook groups I'm a member of there's been quite a few angry fights which is dismaying to read.

Yeah some of the social media groups are a nightmare.

The course I started today is called x-pert, I think it's run by the NHS in the UK. Might be worth looking into.

https://www.xperthealth.org.uk/

Rev+

This will be a bit rambly and ranty.  It's mainly on-topic, but I want to say good luck to you SMBH first off!

My 'other half' had nausea and shortness of breath recently.  She has a disability (EDS) that affects her mobility, so wasn't able to go to her GP under her own steam.  One hell of an insistent phone call later, they send a reluctant doctor over to tell her it's all just down to stress.  Two days later her mother finds her unconscious with her eyes rolling back - diabetic ketoacidosis - and off she goes to intensive care for a week.  She's very dehydrated at this point so they pump her with fluids - and that causes another problem.  Brain scans sent to a hospital with people who have a better idea of what they're doing came back with the response 'you overdid that you twats, her brain's swollen due to water intoxication'.  So she can't read or write now, and talking is very slurry.  This will fix itself I'm told.

So, she has a new condition that she'll have to get used to.  Watford General Hospital clearly believe in going big or going home, so on Wednesday morning they injected her with an insulin overdose that put her in a temporary coma.  The pharmacy made a mistake and got the dosage wrong, is the explanation.

As she's got a condition that causes her a lot of pain at the best of times, she takes quite a lot of pain medication.  They're not giving her any of that, but did give her a couple of paracetamol.  Something that she's quite severely allergic to, as mentioned in her notes, so she swells up and throws up all day.

Sorry, slighty off-topic I suppose, but that's been my experience of someone learning that they have diabetes in the last few weeks.  I've come to realise that when I defend the NHS I'm kind of defending a fantasy-land version of what I want it to be.  You don't realise quite how fucked it's become until...  well, until you're forced to use it.

Twed

I'm sorry Rev, that is terrible. But mistakes like this aren't specific to the NHS. The same things occurs in the US healthcare system regularly, and that's essentially the opposite of the NHS in every way. Turns out the logistics behind healthcare are hard even when you factor out the resource component.

Isnt Anything

Sorry to hear all that, Rev.

Watford General is notorious round here. a friend of Mrs Anything ended up begging the ambulance crew 'take me to Barnet, please take me to Barnet, anywhere but Watford'. not that Barnets that much better but their unnecessary kill rate seems considerably lower. was it them who sent the water memo back ?

Chase Farm is nicer again but sadly has no A&E these days.

really you should put in a formal complaint about that triple-kill attempt.

Small Man Big Horse

Fucking hell Rev, that's awful and I'm so sorry to hear it. And like Isn't Anything says, I'd definitely put in a complaint once you've recovered from the trauma of it all, and maybe even consider legal action?

Rev+

Thanks guys, sorry to semi-hijack the thread a bit there.

Quote from: Twed on October 02, 2018, 04:59:59 AM
I'm sorry Rev, that is terrible. But mistakes like this aren't specific to the NHS.

Oh, I know, I was just lashing out a bit really.  I'll always be a defender of the NHS and am fully aware of where its current problems stem from, but several fuck-ups in a row leave you stewing at home after visiting hours end, just waiting for a call about the next avoidable thing that's gone wrong.

I'm investigating options with complaints.  She's soon being moved to an inpatient unit that supposed to be quite decent, if a bit too much like an old folks home for someone in their mid-thirties, so I'm waiting for that to happen before I pull the trigger.  I know it shouldn't and really wouldn't make a difference, but there's the thought in the back of your mind that her treatment will get worse if she's a troublemaker.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Johnny Textface on September 30, 2018, 09:32:21 AM
Regards weed. Anyone else use a herb vape for it? Not quite as tasty as good jay, but gets you smashed.

Yeah, I've got an electric creecha which is a pax clone and a dynavap. The dynavap is actually better, but I use the electric one on road because it looks like an e-cig rather than having to heat a metal pipe up like a crackhead.

Bence Fekete

I have a Da Vinci IQ, and it's one of my favourite things.  It's gun mental colour and if you remove the mouthpiece it looks indistinguishable from a phone.  Add that to the stealthy odour of vaping and I'm comfortable using it just about anywhere these days. 

Yes it looks like you're smoking your phone but who doesn't do that?

Back on topic: very encouraging to hear your turn-around SMBH so best of luck going forward.  Having fallen down the nutrition rabbit-hole lately it's becoming clear just how ridiculously cloudy and complicated and, ultimately, subjective diet really is.  But if there's one thing nearly everyone agrees on is that no-sugar, mostly fresh raw veg, fruit, possibly some meat is the way to go.  Just bought a £150 blender.  I know they say you should chew everything but it's the only way to smuggle in healthy shite for a vegephobe like me.  Recommended if you can afford. 

PlanktonSideburns

Diabolo Junkies

The Ian George Experience

Cleft

royce coolidge

Bloody well done SMBH,you seem to be on top of this,i really am full of admiration for you,you have really made some strides this year
with the diabetes,your stay in hospital and quitting weed.
Give yourself a big pat on the back,because as someone with similar issues I know it can be really hard(still haven't sorted myself out),
more power to you mate.

PlanktonSideburns

Icecream van turned up at work today.

Bloke said

'The usual is it?'

Can you test yourself for early signs of diabetes?

Good on you mate. Long may it continue. Lots of love to you and keep up the good fight!

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks for all of the kind words good sirs, it really is appreciated.

Quote from: royce coolidge on October 03, 2018, 11:11:27 PM
Bloody well done SMBH,you seem to be on top of this,i really am full of admiration for you,you have really made some strides this year
with the diabetes,your stay in hospital and quitting weed.
Give yourself a big pat on the back,because as someone with similar issues I know it can be really hard(still haven't sorted myself out),
more power to you mate.

That's really kind of you to say, I hadn't really thought about it, but yeah, it's been a hell of a year for change. I've two job interviews this week too so might even be working soon, which would be amazing if it does all pan out. And good luck with your issues, I hope you're able to get a handle on things soon.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 29, 2018, 11:19:46 PM
There's so no need to apologise, I know you've been having a really tough time of it. And all thanks should go to Mrs SMBH who is the one who's keeping me alive, if I was having to do this alone I don't think I'd have managed it at all.

Food wise I'm tending to have white meat or fish and lots and lots of vegetables. No potatoes and only occasionally some bread (and even then it's Hovis Nimble which has a low carb rate) and no chocolate or anything like that. Well, bar the odd treat day, and jesus, does it feel amazing when I have some, it's really given me a new appreciation of the stuff! I also have some fruit, though it tends to be only two pieces a day as a lot has a fair amount of sugar in it.

Not sure if I missed you saying this on the thread but have you been referred to a nutritionist? I've been seeing one and she's been a great help. Cut through all the waffle for me. Might be worth you looking into.

I had my latest diabetic results today and my latest long-term blood sugar is 37. Apparently that's what someone without diabetes could expect. 48 and under is the target score for diabetics and mine's dropped and dropped this year and losing weight has definitely helped with that.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on October 18, 2018, 04:45:54 PM
Not sure if I missed you saying this on the thread but have you been referred to a nutritionist? I've been seeing one and she's been a great help. Cut through all the waffle for me. Might be worth you looking into.

I had my latest diabetic results today and my latest long-term blood sugar is 37. Apparently that's what someone without diabetes could expect. 48 and under is the target score for diabetics and mine's dropped and dropped this year and losing weight has definitely helped with that.

Is this a new scoring system? I thought 50 was normal healthy? 37 seems a tad low - do you get many hypos?

I'm type 2 so I don't know if it's scored differently for type 1. They've always told me the target was 48. I don't get hypos because they're more rare with type 2 unless you're on certain meds.

Small Man Big Horse

Not yet, but when I go back to see the diabetes nurse in November I'm going to ask to see one. And I'm really pleased to hear how well you're doing, that's great news.

Thanks. It's definitely worth getting that bit extra help because knowing what's ok to eat, what food can be packed with sugars, etc, can be one of the worst aspects of this.

Dex Sawash

Cut through all the waffle for me.

not sure that facilitating waffle consumption for a diabete is a sign of a good nutritionist

BlodwynPig

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on October 18, 2018, 04:57:36 PM
I'm type 2 so I don't know if it's scored differently for type 1. They've always told me the target was 48. I don't get hypos because they're more rare with type 2 unless you're on certain meds.

yep, you are exempt from the lows.

BlodwynPig

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47491964

Don't think I'll continue looking for jobs in the US. I get my medicine from the UK still as I pay my tax there and still registered as domicile, but even in Canada I baulked at the price of insulin (given that I pay nothing in the UK). Canada wouldn't insure me, so my only option was to continue getting from the UK.

I wondered how uninsured or low-income diabetics managed in the US and now I know, sadly.

samadriel

How much did you have to pay in Canada?

Mr_Simnock

Wonder what has happened since with the Rev+ saga? Hope everything has cleared up for his 'other half' and they are back to full health.