Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:14:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

About 200 VHS tapes of stuff recorded off the TV between late 80s - early 2000s

Started by Replies From View, August 06, 2018, 07:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on September 01, 2018, 09:23:45 PM
From one of the earliest VHS tapes I had, a bunch of adverts from Christmas 1984. My family had only just gotten a video recorder and I hadn't fully worked out the pause button yet.

Among the highlights are some cutting-edge CGI for Debenhams, some too kid-friendly beer adverts that were banned not long after, Matt Frewer advertising British Airways, "Strewth! There's a bloke down there with no strides on!", those threatening skinheads from Weetabix and a Terry's Chocolate Orange parody of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

https://youtu.be/_IUeKk_weO0

See how cool that kid was because of his Ready Brek.

mothman

Raiders of the Lost Ark was on ITV only three years after it was released? Wow. I probably watched it at the time, but, my goodness, what a wealth of memories... Seve! Ivan and Abdul Emir! Payless DIY! The Heineken snowglobe ad! The Raiders-inspired Choccy Orange ad! A really rather repeatedly sexist Country Life butter ad. Great stuff, Alby! I've subscribed.

Alberon

Quote from: mothman on September 01, 2018, 10:36:29 PM
Raiders of the Lost Ark was on ITV only three years after it was released?

Back then I suppose there was no Sky TV and even the video rentals market hadn't really got going yet so what else could you do with a film once it had finished running in cinemas around the world?

Bhazor

mothman

Quote from: Alberon on September 01, 2018, 11:11:36 PM
Back then I suppose there was no Sky TV and even the video rentals market hadn't really got going yet so what else could you do with a film once it had finished running in cinemas around the world?

Yeah, but even with all that, often 5 years was the norm. Star Wars was 6 or 7.

Phil_A

Dug this out of my videos folder, continuity and ads from a mid-nineties broadcast of Yellow Submarine (or "The Yellow Submarine" as the title card erroneously identifies it). Not sure of the exact broadcast date or year, but it can probably be pinned down with a bit of effort. Includes some rare in-vision continuity from a point when C4 started doing it for some reason.

https://youtu.be/4mizFOEXP2c

Depressed Beyond Tables

I'd say that was 1998.

Never noticed an AIDS disclaimer on a life insurance ad before:

https://youtu.be/4mizFOEXP2c?t=390

Edit: this featured album was from 1997: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best..._Album_in_the_World...Ever!

Edit2: Defo before April 30th 1997: https://youtu.be/4mizFOEXP2c?t=536

mothman

Channel 4's four circles branding. Doesn't feel that long ago. Wasn't it the first change to their stings and inserts since the channel started?

Alberon

Here's an early morning sunday show broadcast in just the LWT region. "Wake Up London!" with the Vicious Boys, apparently. It's from 1986 and features an adventure computer game called 'Heavy on the Magick' I remember playing on the ZX Spectrum and talking to some cybernerds about MUDs (multi-user dungeons) games they played. An expensive hobby at the time as I'm fairly sure these were just on private computers you phoned directly as opposed to just dialling into the internet and going to them from there.

https://youtu.be/zF857oPu__g

Phil_A

Quote from: Alberon on September 02, 2018, 09:20:39 AM
Here's an early morning sunday show broadcast in just the LWT region. "Wake Up London!" with the Vicious Boys, apparently. It's from 1986 and features an adventure computer game called 'Heavy on the Magick' I remember playing on the ZX Spectrum and talking to some cybernerds about MUDs (multi-user dungeons) games they played. An expensive hobby at the time as I'm fairly sure these were just on private computers you phoned directly as opposed to just dialling into the internet and going to them from there.

https://youtu.be/zF857oPu__g

Heh, that title card makes Dimbleby look a bit like a member of Buggles.

mothman

Weird how every single one of the geeks they talk to look like they could conceivably have grown up to be somebody well known today. There's young Alastair MacGowan, young Jacob Rees-Mogg... and the bleached blond Vicious Boy, young Will Mellor...

kaprisky

That C4 Yellow Submarine screening was from the dying hours of 27/03/1997 (technically 28/03/1997 since it was after midnight).

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 01, 2018, 01:41:11 PM
That Naked Yoga, that was on there.

I think i have that... *consults notes*... yes, it's on tape number 8 - I used to number my tapes -  and write them in a little book, then later writing on a bit of paper I shoved in the tape box with the tape.  Nothing as meticulous as Replies From View's seriously dedicated documentation, I just wrote down the title and broadcast date etc.  Channel 4, 13th May 1988... I was going to say I'd encode it when I got the chance but it's on youtube already, and from the same Channel 4 broadcast too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PBPbFsc748

I must have thrown away heaps of VHS tapes that were taking up valuable space... but don't gasp... I restricted the ones that got binned to stuff that's available on DVD etc like various series of Star Trek, etc... (And no ads, I was always careful to cut them out.)

Spudgun

This is all great stuff, and something I've been dabbling in for a bit with mixed results.

Tedious technical question, but what does everyone use these days to digitise VHS tapes? DVD recorder? Or are you connecting your deck directly to a PC/laptop using... well, what gives the best/most stable signal? Any specific recommended hardware or software? Particular codecs? Other advice? Anyone...?

Sebastian Cobb

Non-nicam video always sounded shite. We just didn't notice when running things through a telly with a small speaker.

Phil_A

Quote from: kaprisky on September 02, 2018, 12:03:20 PM
That C4 Yellow Submarine screening was from the dying hours of 27/03/1997 (technically 28/03/1997 since it was after midnight).

Good work! I'll update the video info.

Alberon

Quote from: Spudgun on September 02, 2018, 03:36:41 PM
This is all great stuff, and something I've been dabbling in for a bit with mixed results.

Tedious technical question, but what does everyone use these days to digitise VHS tapes? DVD recorder? Or are you connecting your deck directly to a PC/laptop using... well, what gives the best/most stable signal? Any specific recommended hardware or software? Particular codecs? Other advice? Anyone...?

In the past (nearly twenty years ago!) when digitising pictures for my Lee and Herring website I connected the video recorder directly to the PC. I had a tv tuner card for my PC which had an aerial socket

These days I copy from the video recorder to the DVD recorder both under the telly and then  rip it to my PC later. It's a scart lead between the video and DVD recorders which I suppose is the best you can do at home without too much effort.

Phil_A

Quote from: Spudgun on September 02, 2018, 03:36:41 PM

You probably need a decent capture card for best quality, but I just use an Elgato Game Capture HD box to go from VHS player to PC, and use the supplied software for recording. H.264(mp4) for codec

Alberon

Another little bit here. It's from Children's ITV and is part of a pre-school programme called The Giddy Giddy Game Show featuring the voices of Richard Vernon and Bernard Bresslaw. It makes Bod look like a hyper-fast multi-million dollar CGI Film. Then it's a brief bit of continuity with Matthew Kelly and Rod, Jane and Freddy and then an episode of the superb Trab Door with voices by Willy Rushton.

https://youtu.be/lKMHAzAfjMA

mothman

Any Mac-capable capture boxes to be recommended? I don't have a VCR anymore, but there are always ones kicking around that people don't want anymore.

Managed to pick up two VCR's this week, one for £15 (an 80's model with lots of switches) and one for £2 a late model still with manual. So I now own 4 VCR's. If only the teenage me could see me now.

Sebastian Cobb

My parents had one of them Ferguson Videostars like what Peter Kay did a stand up set about. In all honesty it had a much better picture than any other video machine I've seen. It ended up in my bedroom when I was a teenager but eventually the bearings went on it.

I have fond memories of it 'cos I used to video things that I probably shouldn't be watching, like Tremors and Eurotrash.

Then in the late 90's there was 4 later. Vids, Tromaville productions. So good.

Actually if your video archive has any of them mad 4-later idents where people used to record themselves with webcams way before things like youtube I'd be interested.

Spudgun

In the past (nearly twenty years ago!) when digitising pictures for my Lee and Herring website I connected the video recorder directly to the PC. I had a tv tuner card for my PC which had an aerial socket

Around about that era, I had a Matrox G400-TV card, and it was absolutely rock solid and captured everything I could throw at it just perfectly. I've been out of the video scene for a while, though, and I suppose I'm looking for a modern external version to plug into a laptop.

I just use an Elgato Game Capture HD box to go from VHS player to PC, and use the supplied software for recording. H.264(mp4) for codec

Interesting - do those devices support 576i footage? It's very difficult to get the exact specs of gaming devices, as they all boast about the upper end of the scale but (understandably, I suppose) never seem to mention their VHS-transferring capabilities.

In my mind, I sort of assumed that by now external boxes with loads of composite, S-video, component and HDMI inputs with built-in TBC would be fairly commonplace, and they'd support all the usual standards and allow both on-the-fly hardware compression and uncompressed pass-through signals. Similar(ish) USB audio devices have been available for a while, but unless I'm missing something, video's rather more neglected.

Phil_A

Quote from: Spudgun on September 02, 2018, 09:19:37 PM
Interesting - do those devices support 576i footage? It's very difficult to get the exact specs of gaming devices, as they all boast about the upper end of the scale but (understandably, I suppose) never seem to mention their VHS-transferring capabilities.

The Elgato definitely does 576i, which is one of the reasons it's popular for capturing game footage from old consoles and computers. Be aware though it doesn't seem to come with a composite connector as standard, I had to order one separately from the manufacturer.

Blimey, I just unearthed a real blast form the past for me. Going through my dads tapes an edition of Kilroy which me and my School where in the audience for.

weirdbeard

Personally, I'm partial to full news bulletins from the 70s and 80s. There's a perverse reassurance that the world always was full of cunts and the news lapped it up.

Here's the 9'OClock News from 4th June 1982, in the middle of the Falklands conflict.  This guy has dozens of these up, mostly from '81 - '82.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20TlkDrnI6g

the

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 02, 2018, 08:09:52 PMMy parents had one of them Ferguson Videostars like what Peter Kay did a stand up set about. In all honesty it had a much better picture than any other video machine I've seen. It ended up in my bedroom when I was a teenager but eventually the bearings went on it.

Dirty bastard

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 02, 2018, 08:09:52 PMActually if your video archive has any of them mad 4-later idents where people used to record themselves with webcams way before things like youtube I'd be interested.

Based on the ones floating around on YT, they seem to be reasonably moronic:

- Woman fancies Dom Joly
- Your application for an Arts grant has been rejected
- Grubby man fancies Aleks off Bits, in the style of David Essex on Stella Street
- Woman reacts boringly to Anne Robinson putting Welsh into Room 101
- Michael McIntyre routine needs more work
- Ice T's let himself go
- Best of a bad bunch (LFB, is that you?)

Alberon

Here's a chunk of Night Network from 1988. I had to cut about ten minutes out for copyright claims so the video could be uploaded. This bit features a segment with Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean about comic books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjjnIfwhnwM

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 06, 2018, 09:08:39 PM
Imagine if it turned out he'd managed to capture a wiped copy of Rentaghost or something.

Although there aren't any missing episodes of Rentaghost now.  While a few were wiped in 1993, those were all recovered from UK Gold transmission master copies.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on September 02, 2018, 08:04:51 PM
Managed to pick up two VCR's this week, one for £15 (an 80's model with lots of switches) and one for £2 a late model still with manual. So I now own 4 VCR's. If only the teenage me could see me now.