Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:46:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

About 200 VHS tapes of stuff recorded off the TV between late 80s - early 2000s

Started by Replies From View, August 06, 2018, 07:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

This stuff was recorded mostly by my Dad for him to watch or rewatch, but all he really ended up doing was amassing loads of tapes that have pointlessly been taking up room in my parents' house ever since.  Probably mostly documentaries, operas and films, with ephemera in between (although for many years my Dad was scrupulous about editing the adverts out by pressing pause whenever the title card came up, I'm sure some will have slipped through).

I'm someone who can't bear to just throw stuff away, and I'm hoping there are people out there who might be interested in taking these tapes off my parents, digitising their contents and uploading anything interesting for the world to share.  It's just clear that whoever does that would need to have the resources to do it (no one in my family does), and the time and passion to get it done.  And if nobody wants them my Dad will just chuck them out, and that will be that.  Landfill.

Does anyone here have an interest in archiving this kind of stuff, or know someone who does?  My parents live in Bath, and if someone could collect them in person that would make it even easier, but we can sort that out.  Please PM me if you don't want to discuss it here.

BlodwynPig

surreal

Quote from: Replies From View on August 06, 2018, 07:25:32 PM
This stuff was recorded mostly by my Dad for him to watch or rewatch, but all he really ended up doing was amassing loads of tapes that have pointlessly been taking up room in my parents' house ever since.  Probably mostly documentaries, operas and films, with ephemera in between (although for many years my Dad was scrupulous about editing the adverts out by pressing pause whenever the title card came up, I'm sure some will have slipped through).

I'm someone who can't bear to just throw stuff away, and I'm hoping there are people out there who might be interested in taking these tapes off my parents, digitising their contents and uploading anything interesting for the world to share.  It's just clear that whoever does that would need to have the resources to do it (no one in my family does), and the time and passion to get it done.  And if nobody wants them my Dad will just chuck them out, and that will be that.  Landfill.

Does anyone here have an interest in archiving this kind of stuff, or know someone who does?  My parents live in Bath, and if someone could collect them in person that would make it even easier, but we can sort that out.  Please PM me if you don't want to discuss it here.

I did exactly this a few years ago, I had loads of VHS tapes when DVD was just becoming mainstream and as I still had a VHS deck I bought a capture card and got as much stuff as I could.  It's a ballache of a job unless there is actually something of worth on there, you can't "speed" transfer so you actually have to let it play through, and then there is the processing time to try and get it clearer - some of the stuff I grabbed ended up on UKNova though as it was not otherwise readily available.  I had the same feeling that it seems a shame to chuck it but that way lies hoarding madness.  I ended up chucking stuff that at the time I was sure I'd regret but you know what, this is probably the first time I've thought of that stuff in maybe a decade...

j_u_d_a_s

There's a twitter account called Curious UK TV that would probably love to have a delve into those tapes!