Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:20:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Succession

Started by Kishi the Bad Lampshade, August 06, 2018, 11:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Anyone else watching this? It's an HBO series that could probably best be described as "dark Arrested Development". A wealthy arsehole media baron and his wealthy arsehole kids all vie for control of his company, starring Brian Cox being arsey, Kieran Culkin being supremely creepy, and Cameron from Ferris Bueller except he's old now. I'm really quite enjoying it, although the camerawork is sometimes a bit edgy-sitcom-from-mid-2000s.

Small Man Big Horse

I ignored it at first but the AV Club went on about how great it was earlier today so I've just downloaded the first two episodes, and I'll report back as to how I got on with it soon.

EOLAN

I be watching at the UK pace. Which seems to have just started as it has finished in the USA.
Jesse Armstrong of sitcom writing fame seems to be the main driver behind it.

Z

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on August 06, 2018, 11:19:09 PM
a bit edgy-sitcom-from-mid-2000s.
a bit The Thick of It, right?

I'm not convinced by it. It's one of those shows about awful rich people HBO sometimes makes where I can't even imagine HBO themselves thinking it'll make it past the almost obligatory second season. Strong cast though, so it might develop into something more interesting in season two.

dirkgonnadirk

this is an excellent show. it takes a huge leap starting at episode 5, so stick with it.

olliebean

I tried episode 1 and found it unbearable - felt like Suits if they hadn't given any of the characters even the slightest redeeming qualities. Is it worth jumping in at episode 5? Don't think I can bear to watch 3 more hours of these people if it doesn't get better until then.

dirkgonnadirk

probably don't bother if you thought it was that bad. i thought 1-4 were good, but it becomes a lot funnier and really gels around 5.

olliebean

Didn't really find ep.1 funny at all (I didn't even realise it was meant to be), so I guess it's not for me.

Z

I watched it all, wasn't too pushed on the whole. It did get funnier though and if it improves the balance a bit season 2 could be a big bump.

rasta-spouse

Stopped at episode 2. It had that thing that Veep and TTOI has where all the characters seem kind of empty/lifeless/inflatable (but in those two shows what saves it is the focus on comedy).   

Small Man Big Horse

I enjoyed this a fair amount but it definitely takes a while to get going, and it's the cast which made it so captivating for me. Brian Cox is on top form as a monstrous cunt, and I liked the fact that no one in the series is that likeable, it made for a refreshing change. Shiv's probably the character I was fondest of, but even she clearly has her issues. I thought Matthew Macfadyen was great as Tom as well, such a weird and unusual character (great around Shiv, a cunt to Greg whenever he gets the chance), Alan Ruck was delightful as an egotistical twat, and there really wasn't a weak link amongst the cast.

I did have a couple of minor issues - whenever it went wrong for Kendall it was due to circumstances largely out of his control (the terrorist attack closing the airspace, the crappy waiter grabbing the wheel so that they didn't hit the deer), I know he made the choice to get in to the various vehicles initially but it all felt a bit convenient and I wish they'd found a different way for it to all go wrong for him.

Oh yeah, and they overused the theme music a ridiculous amount. Not sure what was going on there but I started to get really sick of it every time I heard it after only a few episodes.

Vitalstatistix

Wow. As this series progressed I found myself riveted. I know some people can't get on with shows where everyone is a cunt, but really the performances and dialogue elevate this from a typical 'rich people are bad but actually they're human after all' bullshit story.

It's fucking properly American Psycho dark and funny. Jeremy Strong's Kendall is so captivatingly pathetic, and Brian Cox.... fucking hell. Scarier than Lecter.

Vitalstatistix

Oh and regarding the finale:

Kendall's walk back through the mud whilst the fireworks went off was quite beautiful and haunting, I felt.

chveik

I liked that. intelligent stuff. I liked the ''no redeeming qualities" thing, it felt a bit like Shakespeare's historic plays (all things considered).I don't understand why it was sold as a comedy though, it's incredibly depressing. I'm quite excited for series 2 now.

chveik

Small Man Big Horse

I saw that and am really looking forward to it's return, just hope it's towards the start of August rather than the end of it.

MidnightShambler

I watched all of this except the last episode. Me and my missus had it on the box set on Sky but on the morning of the day we were due to finish it off, she finished with me instead and kicked me out of the house. Happy memories. So I was made up to see this thread bumped.....

Is it worth watching though?

Hat FM

just binge watched all of this. loved it. great ending. No one have any major views on season 2?

Gota break some gregs to make a tomelette is one of my favourite lines of recent times in drama.

the humour is great too. it normally makes me laugh around twice an episode which is more than most us sitcoms.

chveik

Johnboy

watched all of this recently, loved it, great acting, yes everyone's a cunt but it's like Shakespeare, great lines, characters, recommend it

trabuch

Sorry for the bump. I've only just started watching (lockdown and everything) but I am really enjoying it. It's funny, nasty and addictive, right up my street. Well done peepshow. Good actors. I hope Kendall wins (if anyone wins). SPORT!

phantom_power

Everyone is a cunt but you end up feeling sorry for all of them at various points, partly for being a product of their fucked-up family and how much the patriarch basically ruined them as human beings from the start. I think Tom is my favourite character. Matthew MacFadyen is a fucking genius

shagatha crustie

I was obsessed with it a few months ago. Best show I've watched since Mad Men. Need a third series ASAP. Agreed that it strikes an interesting tone in that you're willing yourself not to feel sympathetic for the conniving super rich cunts but Logan's abuse looms in the subtext. Fantastic writing.