Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:09:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Absolutely pisspoor British films

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, August 06, 2018, 11:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: kidsick5000 on August 27, 2018, 10:12:38 AM
Whether you like/dislike Simon Pegg or Edgar Wright, None of the cornetto trilogy should be in this thread.
They're all well-crafted, and well acted. I'm still not a fan of World's End (even though I'm amused by it's inadvertant pro-Brexit stance) but it's a stratosphere above the other dog's eggs mentioned earlier.

They're not masterpieces of the genre, but to claim they're pisspoor is madness.

St_Eddie

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 28, 2018, 03:24:35 AM
They're not masterpieces of the genre, but to claim they're pisspoor is madness.

I don't like them much at all and I do think that they're overrated, generally speaking but yeah, even I can acknowledge that they don't belong within this thread.  At all.

George White

https://ok.ru/video/295959792270 Night Must Fall - kitchen sink slasher, with Finney doing a weird accent.

greenman

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 28, 2018, 04:23:01 AM
I don't like them much at all and I do think that they're overrated, generally speaking but yeah, even I can acknowledge that they don't belong within this thread.  At all.

It seems a belated pickup by Americans on Shaun of the Dead that's turned it into a cult favourite arguably somewhat beyond its merits, especially so as they probably don't even get the Second Coming joke.

George White

Oh What A Lovely War! - it is basically Springtime for Hitler. A massive, bloated but still relatively cheap looking version of an agitprop farce put together by Joan Littlewood and him who did Journey into Space and Riders of the Range.
It feels like one big Two Ronnies end number (they did spoof it, with John and Mrs. Mills) which means it otustays its welcome in three minutes.

Gulftastic

I rather like OWALW!, it's got some terrific set pieces in it.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I've worked out why I don't like Kill List. It's filmed like a sketch from one of those late 90s/early 00s Morris-influenced series, where you get an entire weird world conjured up and then abandoned really quickly, and the viewer is left to surmise that they just saw a glimpse in to an entire universe.... except that Ben then flogs the idea for a full 90 minutes, which is more than enough to think "yeah but..." at least 27 times.

Phil_A

Quote from: Gulftastic on August 29, 2018, 07:54:11 PM
I rather like OWALW!, it's got some terrific set pieces in it.

It's a bit of a curate's egg of a film but I've always found the ending extremely powerful.

itsfredtitmus

What was the point of Kill List when Dead Man's Shoes came out like 7 years before it anyway?

itsfredtitmus

wheatley films seem to only exist so he can reference a cult film that he WANTS you to know hes seen

itsfredtitmus

wicker man, the shout, dont look now? completed it mate

Shit Good Nose

I dunno.  I'm not a huge fan, but he's nowhere near the same level of plagiarist referencer as Tarantino.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 31, 2018, 03:22:19 PM
I dunno.  I'm not a huge fan, but he's nowhere near the same level of plagiarist referencer as Tarantino.
tarantino hasnt made a film as bad as the warehouse shooty shoot film he did

Shit Good Nose

Many would argue differently.

(although I thought Free Fire was gash as well)

George White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcGzbiRr48 Nine Hours to Rama - Brownface by the dozen. Robert Morley and Harry Andrews playing themselves but vaguely Indian.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=251YX0mrXZs Rubin and Ed - Working Title try to get Crispin Glover-obsessed indie auteur Trent Harris into features. Still feels amateurish.

imitationleather

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 18, 2018, 01:02:46 AM
I loved the film when I was younger because I could relate to the characters and their lives (this was during my Ecstasy/cocaine years).  I haven't watched it in over a decade though because I suspect that the characters would just irritate me these days, now that I'm hurtling towards middle age and don't do class A drugs anymore.

Watch Human Traffic when you are within the very specific period when it is within 12 months since you first went to a nightclub and took pingers = "Wahey, this is great!"

Watch Human Traffic at any other point in your life = "This is the worst film ever made. Also shut down every nightclub in the land and shoot anyone who takes or has ever taken drugs. Even including me."

Emma Raducanu

Yep. Used to love Human Traffic about 12 years ago. Couldn't imagine watching it now at all!

George White

Anyone ever seen this?
Only seen the Morris Minor chase?  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111285/?ref_=adv_li_tt

Tried watching 1989's The Tall Guy and 1992's The Favour, the Watch and the Very Big Fish - both bland, post-A Fish Called Wanda farces with Jeff Goldblum. Couldn't make it quite through either.  I know some people like the Tall Guy, but it feels like the Footlights lot giving themselves a pat on the back.

Bogbrainedmurphy

Quote from: imitationleather on September 02, 2018, 06:54:25 PM
Watch Human Traffic when you are within the very specific period when it is within 12 months since you first went to a nightclub and took pingers = "Wahey, this is great!"

Watch Human Traffic at any other point in your life = "This is the worst film ever made. Also shut down every nightclub in the land and shoot anyone who takes or has ever taken drugs. Even including me."

I'm not quite at the stage of thinking it's the worst film ever made, there's still some bits in it that I find really funny, quite endearing, quite nostalgic and it still has a cracking soundtrack.

There's some truly cringeworthy moments in it though (to be fair, always thought that). The national anthem in the pub bit, dear God I fast forward through that every time.

Talk of the sequel has gone quiet. All the cast were up for it the last I heard, about a year ago now.

Quote from: George White on September 02, 2018, 10:07:47 PM
Anyone ever seen this?
Only seen the Morris Minor chase?  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111285/?ref_=adv_li_tt

Tried watching 1989's The Tall Guy and 1992's The Favour, the Watch and the Very Big Fish - both bland, post-A Fish Called Wanda farces with Jeff Goldblum. Couldn't make it quite through either.  I know some people like the Tall Guy, but it feels like the Footlights lot giving themselves a pat on the back.

I've always had a lot of fondness for The Tall Guy.  It's the last thing Richard Curtis did that I got any enjoyment out of.  Didn't see the other film, but I remember it getting panned in the Daily Mirror.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Nothing wrong with The Tall Guy, it's a funny film. The last gasp of Richard Curtis as a witty, smart, satirical writer before he decided to base all his films around cutesy middle-class characters with massive kitchens.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bogbrainedmurphy on September 03, 2018, 03:13:26 PM
Talk of the sequel has gone quiet. All the cast were up for it the last I heard, about a year ago now.

If you haven't already, I would recommend reading up on the director of Human Traffic, in regards to how he was properly stitched up, in terms of rights and residuals, which led to the "director's cut" of Human Traffic (read; the cunt of a producer's cut) and the "spiritual sequel", South West 9.  Depressing stuff.

"It's a shit business."

Harry Badger

Quote from: St_Eddie on September 04, 2018, 03:22:55 AM
If you haven't already, I would recommend reading up on the director of Human Traffic, in regards to how he was properly stitched up, in terms of rights and residuals, which led to the "director's cut" of Human Traffic (read; the cunt of a producer's cut) and the "spiritual sequel", South West 9.  Depressing stuff.

"It's a shit business."

Worse still, the guy who ripped him off was his tutor at film school.

Bad Ambassador

I'm pretty sure I've met said producer. He was the most obnoxious person I ever met.

Bogbrainedmurphy

Quote from: St_Eddie on September 04, 2018, 03:22:55 AM

"It's a shit business."

I have heard of this stitch up - and have seen a documentary on the making of Human Traffic and the fallouts on set, which I think I found buried on YouTube ages ago - it's a great shame for Kerrigan, perhaps little surprise he hasn't done many other films following it.

South West 9! Now there's another one I haven't seen for years. Another one with a decent soundtrack, if I remember correctly.

holyzombiejesus

Saw a corker last night. Imagine if BBC3 made a film based on the "I like old movies" dating ad, targeted at Britpop fans who found Skins a bit deep.

Modern Life is Rubbish (2017)

There's a particularly brilliant bit near the start where our hero, Liam, goes up to a girl in a record shop and berates her for buying Blur's Greatest Hits. He goes on a rant about how you need to "earn Parklife" by buying their earlier albums so you can chart their musical development and ends it by stating "I just fucking love Blur!" It also includes 2 of my favourite film cliches; a mysterious figure emerging from the shadows sarcastically clapping, and home made things far beyond the capabilities of the creator (in this case, a bespoke view master slide).

alan nagsworth

I recall smoke some hash and watching Green Street years back with my uncle, during the worst part of his alcoholism. We were in his mate's dingy horrible tower block flat. That was extremely bleak, all told.

thraxx

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 30, 2018, 08:59:31 PM
Saw a corker last night. Imagine if BBC3 made a film based on the "I like old movies" dating ad, targeted at Britpop fans who found Skins a bit deep.

Modern Life is Rubbish (2017)

There's a particularly brilliant bit near the start where our hero, Liam, goes up to a girl in a record shop and berates her for buying Blur's Greatest Hits. He goes on a rant about how you need to "earn Parklife" by buying their earlier albums so you can chart their musical development and ends it by stating "I just fucking love Blur!" It also includes 2 of my favourite film cliches; a mysterious figure emerging from the shadows sarcastically clapping, and home made things far beyond the capabilities of the creator (in this case, a bespoke view master slide).

This film's working title was 'The imaginary true story of Alex Zane'.

Junglist

I watched this today:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2626460/

Directed by Martin Kemp. One of those in the classic British low budget style of football hooligans are all propa 'ard bastards/LETS FUCKIN AVE IT SON/cocaine cocaine cocaine/nawty sawt you slag/meaningful friendship that goes to shit but aaww they're best pals.

Full of all the actors who only seem to star in these cinematic cum failures, down a bottle of whiskey for every one that you spot. Its all as you'd expect, Vincent Regan is about the only average thing in it, and top billed Jason Flemyng is in it for roughly three minutes. Tom Davis too for no other reason than he's big and hench and can't act for shit.