Author Topic: Jimmy Dore on Censorship  (Read 1856 times)

Re: Jimmy Dore on Censorship
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 07:44:01 PM »
ETA - if I were to come on post a load of racist and sexist comments, post nude pictures, ignore all other posters and just call them cunts, are you saying you wouldnt like to see me banned from the forum and I can contune what I'm doing because FREE SPEECH?

Other than the pictures, of course you'd be supported

Not by everyone mind, there are a lot of pearl clutching cupcakes on here

No it doesnt, because some people dont want to be exposed to that on places like Twitter or Facebook which are populated by a lot children

Fuck me

You guys used to be cool

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 08:08:31 PM »
Other than the pictures, of course you'd be supported

Not by everyone mind, there are a lot of pearl clutching cupcakes on here

You support racists and sexists and hate speech but boobs are not allowed? Fair enough, as long as you make sense.

Fuck me

You guys used to be cool

We used to have better quality trolls too, thats progress I suppose.

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2018, 02:24:19 PM »
Now they're getting rid of pages they consider "left-wing"

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »
Now they're getting rid of pages they consider "left-wing"

They've been doing that for years mate.

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2018, 04:58:47 PM »
They've been doing that for years mate.
Right, which is exactly why EVERYONE should defend free speech, because one day you might be silenced, or things you like listening to. The more choice, the better. Information is too important to let a few individuals decide for billions... There's only one Facebook, and then alone = 2 billion users, that's 25% of the population!

Twed

• Take a Key for Coming in!
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »
Twitter has been purged of a considerable number of left-wing figures over the past week, in a short space of time. This is a directive from unpleasant people who value suits more than people.

a peepee tipi

• All facts start as dreams dreamt by a wizard
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2018, 09:13:11 PM »
Right, which is exactly why EVERYONE should defend free speech, because one day you might be silenced, or things you like listening to. The more choice, the better. Information is too important to let a few individuals decide for billions... There's only one Facebook, and then alone = 2 billion users, that's 25% of the population!
Remember what you said earlier about people looking to be offended jumping to extremes?

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2018, 08:51:11 PM »
Remember what you said earlier about people looking to be offended jumping to extremes?
And?

BeardFaceMan

• mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2018, 09:28:44 PM »
Funny how people who bang on about free speech the most are the ones with the least to say.

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2018, 09:35:20 PM »
Funny how people who bang on about free speech the most are the ones with the least to say.
aah

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2018, 05:47:52 PM »
You really don't get it... Sad!

BeardFaceMan

• mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2018, 06:36:05 PM »
You really don't get it... Sad!

No I get it, youre acting like a 15 year old edgelord who thinks free speech means being able to say whatever you want (dun dun dun dun dun) wherever you want to whoever you want. See? I get it fine.

I would make some more points or restate some others I've made but theres clearly no point, you'll just ignore everything and carry on shouting "soon they'll come for something you love!" or some shit. So if I dont get it, have a go at explaining, instead of posting meaningless (and untrue) bollocks like "theres only one facebook!, 2 billion users!!!", because of course theres only one social network on the internet and the people being banned are being banned from the entire internet, I'm getting that right, right?

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 01:06:59 AM »
No I get it, youre acting like a 15 year old edgelord who thinks free speech means being able to say whatever you want (dun dun dun dun dun) wherever you want to whoever you want. See? I get it fine.

I would make some more points or restate some others I've made but theres clearly no point, you'll just ignore everything and carry on shouting "soon they'll come for something you love!" or some shit. So if I dont get it, have a go at explaining, instead of posting meaningless (and untrue) bollocks like "theres only one facebook!, 2 billion users!!!", because of course theres only one social network on the internet and the people being banned are being banned from the entire internet, I'm getting that right, right?
In the spirit of free speech, I don't plan on reading the baloney above :)
(but it seems like a concept that went WAY over your head in the first place, making dialogue pointless, as I wouldn't try to explain science to my 18-month old niece)

BeardFaceMan

• mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2018, 08:11:13 AM »
So you really can't explain yourself, 'free speech' is just a phrase you use (and don't understand) to cover your whining because a bad man said you couldnt listen to Alex Jones call survivors of massacres liars and actors wherever and whenever he wanted? Gotcha.

Hehe hey neil, please don't tell me we were like this when we first got into Bill Hicks at 16 years old...

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 10:56:50 AM »
In the spirit of free speech, I don't plan on reading the baloney above :)
(but it seems like a concept that went WAY over your head in the first place, making dialogue pointless, as I wouldn't try to explain science to my 18-month old niece)

So if I decide to stand outside your house 24 hours a day badmouthing and swearing at you, you're fine with that because free speech?

Hobo With A Shit Pun

• Fuck. You've confused the goat.
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2018, 02:18:23 PM »
So if I decide to stand outside your house 24 hours a day badmouthing and swearing at you, you're fine with that because free speech?

He'd better be, 'cos if they stop you doing that, they'll be stopping ambulances from parking outside houses next. Mark my words.

Autopsy Turvey

• Albert The Grinder vs The Hooded Terror
    • http://www.myspace.com/chrischantler
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2018, 02:38:38 PM »

This is a facile argument. It is quite terrifying how many young people are apparently now repulsed by the idea of free speech because it's just a 'dog whistle' to the 'far right', which is one of the more pernicious cliches to have emerged in the last few years. This is a slippery slope at the thin end of the wedge, and they need to find better rebuttals.

Are there any specific examples of the hate speech that Alex Jones was banned for? I haven't found any convincing specifics, except that he's a 'conspiracy theorist', but YouTube is bursting with ludicrous conspiracy vids, many of them perfectly entertaining but clearly incorrect and potentially offensive to someone. I also am amused that YouTube can try to pretend it has any sort of ethics when it is primarily a mass piracy site. We're back to "the values of the Carphone Warehouse", only now the left find their 'values' are shared by these vast globalist corporate monopolies.

instead of posting meaningless (and untrue) bollocks like "theres only one facebook!, 2 billion users!!!", because of course theres only one social network on the internet and the people being banned are being banned from the entire internet, I'm getting that right, right?

Is it untrue that there's only one Facebook? There are other social media sites, but none of them have anything like the reach. How is that meaningless? It's like being banned from the rail network and then being told you can still go on steam-driven branch lines. The experience will probably be more pleasant, but you won't get very far.

BeardFaceMan

• mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2018, 03:06:15 PM »

Is it untrue that there's only one Facebook? There are other social media sites, but none of them have anything like the reach. How is that meaningless? It's like being banned from the rail network and then being told you can still go on steam-driven branch lines. The experience will probably be more pleasant, but you won't get very far.

Hmm, then its not like that at all is it? Youre saying that the experience of the internet is more pleasant for Jones now hes been banned from facebook?

There are lots of social media sites, lots of other places on the internet where Jones can still have access to his 2 billion potential new followers. What you are moaning about is the equivalent of going into a library, seeing the 'quiet please' signs everywhere, starting to scream and shout, being told to leave and then bleating about your free speech being limited.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:22:32 PM by BeardFaceMan »

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2018, 03:14:39 PM »
It's a slippery slope at the thin end of the wedge.

Autopsy Turvey

• Albert The Grinder vs The Hooded Terror
    • http://www.myspace.com/chrischantler
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2018, 03:22:28 PM »
Hmm, then its not like that at all is it? Youre saying that the experience of the internet is more pleasant for Jones now hes been banned from facebook?

I mean I suspect that these alternative social media sites, Minds or whatever, are more pleasant places to be than Facebook precisely because there are far fewer people. In my town for a while there was a small branch of Somerfield 2 minutes from an Asda superstore. The Somerfield was always empty and quiet, Asda was always full and noisy, so even though Somerfield was dearer and had less stuff, I went there and enjoyed the sound of my own footsteps. The metaphor doesn't quite stretch to rabble-rousing loudmouths looking for a mass audience, but personally I don't doubt the non-Facebook sites are a more pleasant experience because they are so empty and quiet.

What you are moaning about is the equivalent of going into a library, seeing the 'quiet please' signs everywhere, starting to scream and shout, getting asked to leave and then bleating about your free speech being limited.

Fair enough, we're trading off shit metaphors. But I'm neither moaning nor bleating, just joining an argument from an opposing viewpoint to you.

Meanwhile, what are the specific examples of Alex Jones hate speech? Did YouTube even cite any?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:36:07 PM by Autopsy Turvey »