Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:13:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Entire genres you dislike

Started by Sin Agog, August 08, 2018, 10:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Tower Defense.  Dunno what it is.  Maybe the gradual erosion of my castle walls reminds me too much of my own fading mortality.  Jes too much stress for my tastes.

Was gonna say Match 3, but aside from there being a few good variations like Ubisoft's Might&Magic: Clash of Heroes, I had a pretty fun experience playing Puzzle Bobble VS my mother at a games bar on the seafront a couple of weeks back (was the only multiplayer game that didn't give her the beginnings of a stroke).

BeardFaceMan

Walking simulators, dont get them at all. Visual novels either, which those Telltale games are just fancy versions of, still a huge lack of game play for, y'know, games.

Junglist

Turn based. I've hated every single game in that genre bar Civilisation.

Visual novel games, which are almost entirely anime or manga shit. Chuck JRPGs into the mix, Persona is one of the worst series I've ever played.

Phil_A

I have no interest whatsoever in Battle Royale games and the gaming industry's current fixation on them just leaves me baffled. How did this become such a big thing?

Lemming

Metroidvania. Metroid (yes, even the holy revered Super Metroid) pisses me off because it's just constant backtracking with respawning enemies. WHY DO THE ENEMIES RESPAWN IN A GAME THAT MAKES YOU BACKTRACK. THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME IS EXPLORING, BUT I DON'T WANT TO EXPLORE BECAUSE IF I MAKE A WRONG TURN I'LL HAVE TO FIGHT THE SAME 600 BASTARDS AGAIN, AND THE COMBAT ISN'T EVEN FUN

And then it looks like you're finally going the right way, but oh no! A small passage is blocked by some bullshit that you need some bullshit suit attachment to get past, and the attachment is on the other side of the world, so you'll have to go through the same 50 rooms you've already been through to get it, and then come all the way back! Yay!

Didn't like Castlevania either, even SotN.

Quote from: Phil_A on August 08, 2018, 11:43:13 PM
I have no interest whatsoever in Battle Royale games and the gaming industry's current fixation on them just leaves me baffled. How did this become such a big thing?

I think it's because they're easy to turn into "esports" games. If an entertaining person is streaming PUBG, it can be a lot more fun to watch a round than actually play one.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Real Time Strategy and online multilayer shooters. Because I am crap at them.

Hecate

Quote from: Lemming on August 08, 2018, 11:48:27 PMMetroidvania

Sing it, sister! I hate those things, all that getting lost and traipsing back and forward. Get it to fuck.

Tags I avoid are

Story rich

Fuck that shit. When I was growing up, a games story was the paragraph or two that was written on the back of the box.
If I want a story I'll read a book or watch a film, and it won't be a low budget one written by idiots neither.
The only game I've ever played where I thought the narrative complimented and didn't get in the way of the gameplay was portal 2. That's the exception to the rule.

Puzzle

I've got a lazy brain when it comes to stuff like that. I really like clean up games, the neo geo version of bust a move/puzzle bobble would be in my top ten games, but I mostly can't be arsed with stuff where you have to use your brain, it feels more like a chore than relaxing fun.

Visual novel

If I want to read a book, I'll read a book, and if I want to look at pictures of big titted kids I'll turn myself in to the appropriate authorities.

Point and click
Memes
Walking simulator
RTS
Hidden Object
Dating sim

Tower Defense

Plants vs zombies was far too easy but still great fun, that'd be the exception to the rule for me.

JRPG
MMORPG

Multiplayer

I used to love playing multiplayer shooters, but I just got bored of them, can't be arsed with it any more.

Fighting

Street fighter and stuff, used to love playing tekken when I was younger, again, can't be arsed with it.

popcorn

Any game where you click on little men.

Hecate

What about little lemmings? I've just realised that's a puzzle game so I'm not allowed to be upset.

popcorn

I liked Lemmings as a wee child but I think I would find it boring now. Nonetheless it is more appealing as a concept than any RTS I can think of. Or something like Diablo which comes quite close to clicking on little men.

popcorn

Come to think of it, as a general rule, I dislike any game where you don't control a character directly, whether that's first or third-person. So no RTS games where you click on little men, no Diablo-like games where you click on a place and your little man runs over there (as opposed to driving him yourself), no games based on menus, none of that shit. I need in some sense to be "in" the world, I suppose.

The exception is point-and-click adventures where everything is so laid-back I'm happy observe as a sort of guide.

As the recent E3 showed, there isn't really an industry obsession with the genre. There's Fortnite and little else of note, even PUBG is on a massive slide. Fortnite is free, looks kid friendly, has a decent enough mobile version, is available on every platform and is the most lucrative game of the year. It's not really very interesting to me (and I much preferred PUBG) but it's a very accessible online multiplayer game and perfect for streaming. Every match has the same narrative structure (be the last man standing) but it offers a lot of variety and rewards depending on your skill level or playstyle. It's also very very streamable because the rounds are pretty short and if you jump into the stream, you know what's happening instantly (34 players left, this guy has a legendary assault rifle, etc.). The shrinking play area also guarantees that the tension ramps up so the longer you survive, the more tactical and action packed it gets.

I don't know if you've ever even played it but it's worth a few rounds just to get a feel for why it's appealing. Scrabbling around for gear while staying hidden and watching high level players knocking up skyscrapers to climb cliffs and so on is pretty exciting and nerve wracking in itself.

Increasingly, I loathe the 'inbetweener' type of 'cinematic' games. They really are cookie cutter shit. Bland, no individual element worth a damn. God of War. Assassin's Creed. Uncharted. Tomb Raider. Horizon Zero Dawn.

Some generic combat, some walkie talkie shit, oh, look what our artists have come up with, now for some ponderous dialogue, skill trees, crafting, loot drops. Interchangeable crap. The Oscar fodder of video games.

I'll give TLOU a pass because the story and character stuff and world building was a giant leap forward at the time, and the simplistic combat was at least brutal enough to support the story stuff. Everything in its wake has been way below par. I've been burned for hundreds of pounds on this mild orange squash crap. God of War, in particular, is dismally overrated.

Hecate

Quote from: popcorn on August 09, 2018, 08:51:28 AM
no Diablo-like games where you click on a place and your little man runs over there (as opposed to driving him yourself)

ARPG's are great, you heathen! Once you get over the "Is this it?" hurdle and relax into their repetative, comftable, numbing embrace.
I've been crying out for a new decent one since torchlight 2. Still looking.

Bhazor

I've always held by Sturgeon's Law. 95% of everything is terrible. Even in genres I hate there will be at least a couple gems. I feel that way about Visual Novels. Every Visual Novel I've read turned out to be high level weeaboo crap or god awful sub creepy pasta horror. But I still believe one of the next truly great novels will be a visual novel.

Clicker games can fuck off though. Especially the lame lol randum humour.

Quote from: Lemming on August 08, 2018, 11:48:27 PM
Some mad incomprehensible bullshit about Super Metroid

I have to respectfully disagree.

bgmnts

To be fair there are only two big ones.

popcorn

I have no interest in sports (real or virtual) and I didn't play a single sports game until I got to university. My mates were all mad on Pro Evo so I gave it a go. Managed to play an entire game with a mate having absolutely no fucking idea what was happening without realising we'd been doing co-op.

Afterwards I realised this is what all video games must be like to my mum: trivial, impenetrable, obvious fucking wastes of time.

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 09, 2018, 09:01:01 AM
Increasingly, I loathe the 'inbetweener' type of 'cinematic' games. They really are cookie cutter shit. Bland, no individual element worth a damn. God of War. Assassin's Creed. Uncharted. Tomb Raider. Horizon Zero Dawn.

Assassin's Creed does not fit this list.

Consignia

First Person Shooters. Because I can't physically deal with managing two control axes as well getting motion sickness, I've not been able to play them properly since Doom. Third Person is slightly better, but really not much.

I wouldn't classify Visual Novels as games. Unless Adobe Acrobat is a game. In which case, if we're branching out to genres of software you dislike, I don't like Word Processors. The gameplay is just awful.

Quote from: madhair60 on August 09, 2018, 10:51:13 AM
Assassin's Creed does not fit this list.

That's probably the best of the bunch. Origins was actually quite fun as a walking simulator/stealth game and skip all dialogue. A solid 5/10.

madhair60

Almost all strategy games. I'm just awful at them. Advance Wars and Fire Emblem are good tho.

Yeah, anything with a grid of any kind, or any card game. Anything where you use a mouse.

Consignia

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on August 09, 2018, 08:51:28 AM
Come to think of it, as a general rule, I dislike any game where you don't control a character directly, whether that's first or third-person. So no RTS games where you click on little men, no Diablo-like games where you click on a place and your little man runs over there (as opposed to driving him yourself), no games based on menus, none of that shit. I need in some sense to be "in" the world, I suppose.

The exception is point-and-click adventures where everything is so laid-back I'm happy observe as a sort of guide.

Are you... are you me?

Hecate

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 09, 2018, 01:09:55 PM
Yeah, anything with a grid of any kind, or any card game. Anything where you use a mouse.

Try Slay The Spire, that'll change your mind on card games.

What's wrong with mousies?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: bgmnts on August 09, 2018, 10:02:46 AM
To be fair there are only two big ones.

Its not like other games havent tried, they just havent been succesful against the two juggernauts.  And BR mode is becoming the new Gears Of War Horde mode, a gameplay type suddenly becomes succuesful because its done well amd everyone wants to do it. Lots of upcoming games are going to have BR mode now, expect to see it in a few AAA games as they jump on the bandwagon.

popcorn

Barry Admin

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 09, 2018, 01:45:34 PM
Its not like other games havent tried, they just havent been succesful against the two juggernauts.  And BR mode is becoming the new Gears Of War Horde mode, a gameplay type suddenly becomes succuesful because its done well amd everyone wants to do it. Lots of upcoming games are going to have BR mode now, expect to see it in a few AAA games as they jump on the bandwagon.

Yep, Black Ops 4 is gonna have it. There's been a big fuss about it, I believe they've ditched the single player mode as well, and there's some kind of fuckery with the season pass. I seem to be the only person on here who still buys CoD anyway.

olliebean

Quote from: Consignia on August 09, 2018, 11:08:39 AM
First Person Shooters. Because I can't physically deal with managing two control axes as well getting motion sickness, I've not been able to play them properly since Doom. Third Person is slightly better, but really not much.

Also FPS's, but for different reasons. If the setting of a game is some sort of stressful situation (as these all are), I want to experience that via a level of abstraction, so it doesn't make me feel stressed. If a game involves shooting people - or getting shot at - I don't want it to look like I'm really shooting people or getting shot at. Who the fuck's idea of fun is that? If playing a game makes me feel tense and anxious (as these all do), I'd sooner be doing something else.

New Jack

Everything 2D since about 2002

Don't care what it is. I didn't spend hundreds of pounds on a graphics card to render sprites. As time went on, I now just avoid shit that looks sub-SNES, yet its prolific as ever

Unless you count Fire Pro Wrestling, which I don't!