Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:52:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Detroiters

Started by Moribunderast, August 09, 2018, 06:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moribunderast

My apologies if there's already a thread about this show - I searched and didn't come up with anything. I'm fairly certain I've seen it mentioned in passing on catch-all threads but with the quality of it's current (second) season, it's more than deserving of it's own.

Detroiters is a sitcom about a low-rent ad agency, created by and starring Sam Richardson and Tim Robinson. You'll recognise Sam from his excellent performance as Richard Splatt in Veep.

I thought the first season of this show was good but nothing overly substantial or essential. It was a nice, humorous diversion with two leads who were funny but could be occasionally obnoxious. Season two, however, is blowing me away. It is a show firing on all cylinders, with the chemistry between the main cast (and gradual fleshing out of the supporting characters) and writing seeing a marked improvement over what came before. Each episode now has me regularly laughing, sometimes to the point of tears, from beginning to end. The most recent episode contained one of the funniest visual gags I've seen in ages and pretty much every episode this season has featured a scene or scenes that have had me howling.

I'm not really sure what to liken it to. It is obnoxious so there's a little bit of Always Sunny, maybe, but the characters are nowhere near as foul. Maybe Workaholics, but much better? I don't know. All I know is a show that I thought was a passable bit of fun has vaulted into being one of my most anticipated half-hours of the week and I'm very excited about what they could produce if they get more seasons. I can't remember a second season of a show having this kind of improvement since maybe Parks and Rec. It's really taken me by surprise.

Is anyone else watching this and enjoying it as much as I?

Ron Superior

I think I might have started one around the start of the first season, and did it get mentioned in the US sitcoms general thread? Doesn't matter really, a fresh new positive thread is always good.

I really liked the first season. When it was occasionally a little light on laughs it was carried by the immense likeability of Sam and Tim. But I've caught the first episode of the second season and loved it. Watching it on Comedy Central UK so am behind the US, but am encouraged by your post. Can't wait to catch up with the rest of the season.

perdothegit

Funniest show on tv of the past couple of years at least. Moribunderast is right. First season is good, but they've really upped their game for the second season. I've been watching each episode multiple times (not typical for me). Greatness!

veletision

Superb.

Not much more I can say.

Ron Superior

It's been confirmed that this didn't get picked up for a third season. Really bummed as season 2 was so strong. A few of the official tweets I saw were saying we hope it could be picked up elsewhere, but that's not terribly likely is it?

Real shame.

perdothegit

That really bums me out. One of my favorite shows of the last few years.

Moribunderast

Well that fucking sucks.

veletision

Real shame.

Terrific show

rasta-spouse

I've just watched the first two episodes of this and think it's very good. And after a very flat experience with the Reluctant Landlord it's good to finally laugh again. Thanks to the OP for the  rec. Cannot wait to watch the rest.

brat-sampson

Started watching this just a couple of weeks ago after a recommendation, it's really very very good and it's a shame to hear this news and recognise that this topic will probably garner most of its posts after the cancellation of the actual show.

Check it out, people.