Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:13:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Okami

Started by The Boston Crab, August 09, 2018, 11:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Just got this for the fifth time on the Switch, never got more than five or ten hours in, I reckon, and that was on the Wii. I seem to remember that this was heralded as a true masterpiece in every respect, at the time, but I feel that the scales have fallen somewhat. The received opinion now is that it's much too long and that the opening hours are painfully slow. I've seen criticisms of the combat and the actual brush mechanic, which has always felt a bit shit to me outside of the Wii version.

Has anyone ever finished it? Any thoughts?

madhair60

No, nobody has ever finished it. It's boring and never ends - like me cock.

biggytitbo

Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy is a much better PS2 game but doesnt get any credit.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 09, 2018, 11:32:24 AM....but I feel that the scales have fallen somewhat. The received opinion now is that it's much too long and that the opening hours are painfully slow...

Received opinion? Whose? Fucking idiots is the one answer that springs to mind.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 09, 2018, 11:32:24 AM...Has anyone ever finished it?

Yes, more than once.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 09, 2018, 11:32:24 AMAny thoughts?

A few.... nothing related to the game, mind.

St_Eddie

Okami is one of my favourite games; an absolute masterpiece.  I would agree that the opening hours are a little slow but once the game gets going, it's superb.  The art style is gorgeous and because it's so heavily stylised, it's aged wonderfully.  The gameplay is similar to the Zelda template but in my opinion, superior.  I love the brushstroke gameplay mechanic and never had much of an issue when I played the game for my PS3, using the analogue stick.  I'm not sure if they've fixed this for the 4k/Switch re-release but once minor criticism I have against the Wii/PS2/PS3 version would be the draw distance.  However, when the only complaints I have are minor nitpicks, you know it's a great game.

10/10

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 09, 2018, 12:17:56 PM
Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy is a much better PS2 game but doesnt get any credit.

It's a very good game but that's a bizarre comparison to make.  It's absolutely nothing like Okami.  You may as well have said that Metal Gear Solid is a better game.  Apples and oranges.

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 09, 2018, 12:36:50 PM
A few.... nothing related to the game, mind.

I've got a few choice thoughts about one of the usual trolls as well but I'll keep them to myself.

Z

The opening sequence was so fucking long that once I finally got control I just raced to a save point and turned it off. Never touched it again.

Astoundingly obnoxious intro between the voice effect, the text speed (even sped up on ps3) and the length of the big ramble.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Z on August 09, 2018, 12:52:58 PM
The opening sequence was so fucking long that once I finally got control I just raced to a save point and turned it off. Never touched it again.

I did exactly the same thing when I owned the game for the Wii.  I gave it another chance when I purchased Okami HD for the PS3 and I'm so glad that I did.  I can't stress enough; it's well worth sticking with through the slow opening.  Once it clicks, it clicks big time.  Okami is one of the few games which I got a platinum trophy for completing it 100%.  I don't usually bother with achievements but I did so because I wanted to see all that the game had to offer and wring every last bit of enjoyment from it.  I was genuinely sad when the game came to a close.  It's bloody brilliant!

madhair60

If you liked "Shenmue", you'll love "Okami"!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I have the PS2 version. I loved it right up until the end - but then it just kept on going. And going...

It wouldn't be such a problem if it introduced some new gameplay mechanics to justify the bloated running time, but it never does. About the closest thing it does do is the one fight in which the boss can also use the brush powers.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 09, 2018, 01:01:58 PM
I have the PS2 version. I loved it right up until the end - but then it just kept on going. And going...

It wouldn't be such a problem if it introduced some new gameplay mechanics to justify the bloated running time, but it never does. About the closest thing it does do is the one fight in which the boss can also use the brush powers.

Even though I don't share your opinion, I do think that this is a valid criticism.

Quote from: madhair60 on August 09, 2018, 12:16:28 PM
No, nobody has ever finished it. It's boring and never ends - like me cock.
Quote from: madhair60 on August 09, 2018, 12:58:06 PM
If you liked "Shenmue", you'll love "Okami"!

Go back to the YouTube comments section where you belong, you boring little troll.

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 09, 2018, 12:36:50 PM
Received opinion? Whose? Fucking idiots is the one answer that springs to mind.

I'm just setting some context for discussion of the game. I don't have any received opinions because I have no respect for anyone else, but I am aware of the contemporary revised consensus.

I personally enjoyed the time I put in on the Wii, I just ended up putting it down then forgetting where I had to go and fucked it off because I lived in China and had a pirate copy of every single game. Every time since, the intro and the NPC vocal effect and all that stuff and the gated tutorial stuff put me off. I'm past that'd now, though, and I've started the game kind of so I'll see how long I last. It'd be nice to stick with a single game for more than a couple of days.

popcorn

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 09, 2018, 11:32:24 AM
The received opinion now is that it's much too long and that the opening hours are painfully slow.

This is definitely the opinion I broadcast back in 2006 or whenever it came out and I'm glad it is finally being received.

I did finish it, but God it was gruelling. A stunningly beautiful game made with true love, and the sense of movement and speed I recall being especially affecting. but ridiculously overstuffed. Needs to be about half the length, seriously. Wouldn't bother with it again in a hurry.

It drives me mad when things have too much content. Think of the time and money they would've saved if they'd had a proper sense of when enough was enough.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 09, 2018, 01:02:34 PM
Go back to the YouTube comments section where you belong, you boring little troll.

I bet you think games are art and all.

popcorn

Games aren't art, they're bollocks.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on August 09, 2018, 03:21:35 PM
I bet you think games are art and all.

Depends on the game but broadly speaking, yes, of course they are a form of art.

Quote from: popcorn on August 09, 2018, 03:24:10 PM
Games aren't art, they're bollocks.

Mate, you're a games if anyone is.

popcorn

You can shove it up your art (arse) mate.

I've done two and a half hours of this today (fishing trip is a write off, the water is very low on the Tweed and they haven't had anything for three weeks, complete waste of money and time) and I'm up to where I was on the Wii already. I think I probably understand the rhythm and progression of this kind of game more these days. Back then, I'd not even completed a Zelda besides Twilight Princess. I did half a dozen little jobs in no time with this, though. Talk to NPC, do their little job, get your reward and move on. I'll see how bored I get with that loop and cleaning up dirt in the world, etc. I assume that's the whole game.

Blinder Data

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 09, 2018, 01:02:34 PM

haha noob

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 09, 2018, 03:43:24 PM
...I'll see how bored I get with that loop and cleaning up dirt in the world, etc. I assume that's the whole game.

I mean, kind of but it gets fairly inventive with the scenarios later on, I felt.  I don't know, maybe give it a couple more hours and see how you feel.  My favourite sections are around halfway to 2/3rds of the way through the game.

Quote from: Blinder Data on August 09, 2018, 03:59:17 PM
haha noob

omg lol

biggytitbo

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 09, 2018, 12:48:10 PM
It's a very good game but that's a bizarre comparison to make.  It's absolutely nothing like Okami.  You may as well have said that Metal Gear Solid is a better game.  Apples and oranges.

True, but they were just two games I associate with the PS2 (although psi-ops wasnt an exclusive like okami).

Gotta be honest, I'm bored now. If I can't finish a game in one sitting or it's not an infinite game, I can't be fagged with it. Please delete the thread, Barry.

popcorn

I was right, I was right.

falafel

Before this disappears forever, do they let you turn the voice effect off in the Switch version?

If not, fuck it, not even trying.

St_Eddie

This thread is a absolute disgrace.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 09, 2018, 04:38:01 PM
Gotta be honest, I'm bored now. If I can't finish a game in one sitting or it's not an infinite game, I can't be fagged with it. Please delete the thread, Barry.
Is this to say that you finished Dark Souls in one sitting?

Quote from: falafel on August 09, 2018, 04:49:48 PM
Before this disappears forever, do they let you turn the voice effect off in the Switch version?

If not, fuck it, not even trying.

No.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 09, 2018, 04:55:07 PM
Is this to say that you finished Dark Souls in one sitting?

That's an infinite game so doesn't count.

Okami feels infinite.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 09, 2018, 09:58:11 PM
Okami feels infinite.

Mate, you're an Okami.  Fucking wolf god, giving it all that!

Oddly enough, one of my nicknames is Wolfie and I am divine.

Hecate

The steam reviews tell me that okami is 30fps.
Only nuclear throne is allowed to be 30fps.